GT500KR Repair Bill - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: GT500KR Repair Bill

Shelby had nothing to do with the previous Cobra models.

Shelby is a company just like Roush or Saleen where these companies take stock GTs and engineer them into a new model off the GT and rebrand/rename them.

Shelby is (or was?) it's own automotive manufacturer and produced the famous AC Cobra which was powered by the Ford 428 block IIRC. I don't know how many other models the company produced, but they did take numerous other manufacturers' vehicles and upgraded those as well.

In 1993 a Ford Exec. created the Special Vehicles Team (SVT) which built Ford's own. The Mustang was given the name Cobra. SVT also designed the F150 Lightening. SVT also prodcued the SVT Contour and the SVT Focus. The program lasted up until 2004 when the plant closed down because of the redisgns cominf out for Ford models.

All this is off the top of my head and someone just posted the SVT Timeline on another forum of mine so it's all kind of fresh. Numbers may be off.

So no Shelby had nothing to do with the Fox and SN95 Cobra platforms. Not sure if Shelby did produce any Shelby Mustangs of their own though.

Just know that SVT>all
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Actualy carrol did work for ford from 1964 to 1970. The shelby cobra was his own work but he developed the GT350s and GT500s for FORD. He also had some involvment in the ford GT40 in the 60s. Shelby mustang sales droped in 1969 and ford ended their contract with CS in 1970. He went to work for Chrysler/Dodge in the 80s making a shelby charger and he designed the VIPER. He also sued ford in 88 over using the GT350 name on an 84 mustang. He is currently under contract with ford again which is how you get the GT500s, ford is more or less paying him to use the shelby and
GT500 names.

Jack Roush started out working for ford and worked his way up the ladder before starting his own company.

96 honda magna vf750, K&N, Vance and Hines pipes Rejetted carbs
Ninethourpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
did shelby design or have nething to do with the 99-04 cobras? I never hear them being called a shelby cobra or recall seing the name on them
thats a good question and sounds like to me the awsner to that is NO lol
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

SVT engineers designed the GT500 from top to bottom only to have their namestake taken by Shelby
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
SVT engineers designed the GT500 from top to bottom only to have their namestake taken by Shelby
The new one yes. They put shelby on it and paid him off because ford didn't want carroll to sue them again. Like i said there paying him to use the name. Hes done alot for Ford, Racing and the Mustang but he needs to get over himself. Then again ford burnt him first.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

dude i wouldnt go that far to say he should get over himself. infact at this point i would think that the old man doesnt understand being burnt or burning ford, he just wants to make a car. Thats all his familys doing.
regardsless you have to say that he MADE the mustang what it is today. gota give credit where credit is due.
is it right that he charges an arm and leg for his name and NORMAL people cant afford his cars? NO
but......what you gonna do right?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

maybe you can afford this!

Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Chili
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWill View Post
maybe you can afford this!

Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Chili
omg!!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #44
Blogger
Blogger

Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

I have bought CS chili in the Grocery store, don't think I paid that much. It was pretty good.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #45
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Check the original thread for updates, it's getting juicy.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #46
Blogger
Blogger

Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

It appears everyone is trying to work on the problem but Shelby.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cheema View Post
dude i wouldnt go that far to say he should get over himself. infact at this point i would think that the old man doesnt understand being burnt or burning ford, he just wants to make a car. Thats all his familys doing.
regardsless you have to say that he MADE the mustang what it is today. gota give credit where credit is due.
is it right that he charges an arm and leg for his name and NORMAL people cant afford his cars? NO
but......what you gonna do right?
To say carrol made the mustang what it is today is rediculus. He had big engines replace the 289s in 2+2 fastback mustangs and called them GT350 and GT500. You have the Boss mustangs, Mach1s, King Cobras, SVO, Cobra Rs, 99-01 cobras, Terminator Cobras. Hell I think the fox mustangs alone had more hand in making the mustang what it is today than carrols 2 cars.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

He did alot, but he didn't make the mustang.

I have been seeing this coming for some time now as I think most of you guys have as well
carrol shelby is trying to retire.. sell off old cars and selling out names.
I can't blame him, he has built an empire and now he's done.
but at the same time everything has limits and to spit on his own customers is a bit much.
remember when he tried to sue the mustang club of america a couple of years ago?
apparently they had the most comprehensive lists of original shelby cars and who owned them and or what happened to those said cars... they were known somewhat as the official shelby registery, to which for many many years fans compilied these records for no compensation at all, at a time when not many people were interested.
these are people that made shelby what he is today.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I think that lawsuit wasn't even more than a year or two ago but regardless of when that was there is definitely some truth into what you have to say. I agree with you.

Besides I think Ioocca's (sp?) S197 edition is way better than the GT500
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 09-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy

More updates now. It seems Autoblog either has an unreliable source or SAI is just plain lying now. Actual price of hood: $12,610. That's without shipping, markup, anything. Original invoice has been posted.

New hood has arrived, still not much better packaging, hand marks in paint that didn't have time to setup and nice runs. Body shop is going to strip hood and start over....again...
Our's:
Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Damn.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to wkndpaintballer

I really don't care what anyone says cosmetic body damage like what is described will not cost anywhere near that. You can find the replacement parts online for cheaper than any body shop will quote you. So let them quote me 31k on fixing it and I'll buy the parts myself and have a nice 25k extra to play with

NOBODY cares about threats over the internet. Don't try to act hardcore with the keyboard. FIGHTING ONLINE is like racing in the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still RETARDED .
wkndpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:41 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

well that was the longest 11 pages of my life, quite the novel though and still incomplete.

I personally can't see how the owner of this car can sit there and have the patience for this crap. If it were me i think i would take some time off work and personally visit some of these people playing with the timely repair of my car.

off topic, but i saw a blue 2010 gt500 today and fell in love with it, so now after this i have 2 questions

1.) if i bought a gt500 and something happened to it, do i have to play games with sai also?

2.) the salesman told me the cars have to be driven a little bit for the comptuer to tell the supercharger its ok to work, and they just got done doing that. it sounds liked bs to me, just wasn't sure. (they also said they were trying to keep the miles down on it)

over all i thought it was an awesome car for 50k but reading about this gt500kr i'm not sure if it would be worth the hassle, cause if it could happen to me, i know it would.

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, you guys actually read the whole thing?

I read the headline, the first sentance or two and a bunch of replies To much clicking around for me, I just wait for lowflyn to give me updates.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 10-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyspirit058 View Post
1.) if i bought a gt500 and something happened to it, do i have to play games with sai also?
No its a ford not a shelby, you would deal with ford. The KR is special as the shelby is sent to Shelby's car shop and done up~ ford didnt do it to it.

Quote:
2.) the salesman told me the cars have to be driven a little bit for the comptuer to tell the supercharger its ok to work, and they just got done doing that. it sounds liked bs to me, just wasn't sure. (they also said they were trying to keep the miles down on it)
its 400 or 500 miles or a disconnect/reconnect of the battery.

Quote:
over all i thought it was an awesome car for 50k but reading about this gt500kr i'm not sure if it would be worth the hassle, cause if it could happen to me, i know it would.
The kr is NOT worth the money... not for what little you get over the gt500.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #56
Legacy Member
Legacy

Update:

To make this a straight as possible, I will process the refund request thru Shelby Autos directly. Please confirm the following so we can resolve this issue for you as soon as possible.

Reimbursement for the following:
· Incremental Shipping Charge- You were billed $1200 for shipping and the cost for Fed Ex was $445. Shelby will reimburse you $750
· Goodwill Gesture- The dealer charged you $12,700 for the hood. Shelby will reimburse you the $3,000 difference.

Please confirm these numbers and I will have a check cut today and mailed.

I am sorry for the confusion regarding this issue. We want to make sure that this is taken care of quickly.

Sincerely,

That email was sent on the 13th, Ford tried to get check and confirmation number, no response. Once again...SAI is lying.
Our's:
Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

a goodwill gesture? WTF... goodwill my ***...

even if they fixed it and didn't charge him i think they would still owe him...

i'm with lowflyn about just putting the car through the front door of sai...

EDIT: i know there is a lawyer, or a lawyers wife or somethin on the forum your watching, i wonder if he could sue the company, not for quickly fixing his car, but for him missing out on this rather expensive toy. I don't know how old the kr owner is, but people get sued all the time because they "miss out on life" in some way or form, well if this is an older gentleman i'm sure he's waited a long time for this, and now its been taken away... i'm not a lawyer, but i'm sure if he got a good one, something like this could work. anyone here a lawyer that might be able to tell me if i'm just being silly?

Quote:
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #58
Legacy Member
Legacy

New updates, check original thread for pictures of the original damage and some new developments.

If you want the short list:
* The bull**** continues due to the lack of cooperation from SAI and Ford Motor Company. Contrary to what was earlier stated, the check was not in the mail.

* SAI has allegedly threatened to sue State Farm for some sort of infringement, citing the fact that the original hood was NOT returned. Keep in mind that an earlier agreement was reached between SAI and KR_Owner, concluding that KR_Owner was rightfully entitled to retain his original hood.

* Ford, while making countless promises towards a resolution, has not followed through. KR_Owner appears to be keeping the faith, but having battled them myself back in 2000, I told him not to hold his breath. My resolution was reached only after almost 2 years of consistant *****ing.

*The prep work on the replacement hood is horrid, and there is a huge run in the hood that can't be rebuffed. As such, it'll need refinished anyway.
Our's:
Old 10-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

wow, disgusting
Old 10-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Here is one of the main threads going on about the hood. This is what SAI is mainly focused on shutting down.

GT500KR: Can you afford to fix this car? - Page 12 - Spoken Torque Forums
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Seems like they let one slip through the cracks....

http://www.copart.com/c2/individualL...Type=onSaleNow

Someone needs to buy it just for the vin/badges...
well current bid is 8600 on it, and the hood doesn't look damaged (can't really tell from the pics) and it is worth 9k... so you could be making a profit off just the hood

Quote:
Old 01-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

And the truth comes out, Shelby is being sued since the hood actually only cost $4K and they charged, what was it, $20K?

Shelby Sued, $20K GT500KR Hoods Really Only Cost $4K - Shelby GT500KR - Jalopnik
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT