Mac Prochamber vs after cat X-pipe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Mac Prochamber vs after cat X-pipe

Anyone here have either of these installed? Would like to hear from an S197 driver, but will appreciate responses from anyone running one of these. I have the stock catted H on my car, and am thinking of either going with a quality x-pipe splice in (I'm staying emissions legal) like the Bassani X, the Magnaflow Tru-X splice in, or perhaps the Prochamber. Does the Mac part produce any drone? Does it enhance or degrade the sound of your exhaust? How raspy are the Bassani or Magnaflow X-pipes? Does the Mac boost torque? I know the X-pipes will produce top end gains. I am running Magnaflow Magnapaks, so if anyone has experience with aftermarket mid-pipes with the 'Paks, I'd especially like to hear from you. Thanks in advance.
BTW, I did a search on here, and very few threads about Prochambers and S197's. I've also read about these pipes; I'm looking for real world feedback.
MetallicMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Mac Prochamber vs after cat X-pipe

I wonder about this as well. My friend has borla stingers on his stock exhaust system'ed 08 gt. It sounds good but not as loud as I expected.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is not obnoxiously loud, either. It is mellow at idle and during normal driving. When my right foot gets heavy though, the Magnapaks announce their presence. My issue with the stock H is that if I goose my car a bit, I can hear the pulsations in the exhaust, and it doesn't sound like it's flowing as smooth as it should. I'm really looking hard at the Bassani X that you cut out the factory H in order to install it. It looks well made, and I've read some good things about it. I was just intrigued by what I read on the MAC site concerning the Prochamber and was interested to hear from those who run one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I am running magnapacks and a prochamber with hi-flowcats. Here is a little information I posted about the prochamber w/hiflows. IMO this set-up sounds awesome.
This midpipe set up or any midpipe with hi-flows is not talked about too much. I know up until about 2 yrs ago. Mac made a prochamber with CATCO hi-flow cats, but for some reason that set-up stopped being produced. I believe it was Blow by Blow racing that wanted to start selling prochambers with magnaflow hi-flow cats. I guess that never came to fruition.
Prochamber w/hi-flows is a little pricey option. $389 for the prochamber, $225 for pair of magnaflow cats, about $85-100 to have the cats welded in. That is midpipe that cost nearly $715. Best bet is to pick-up a used prochamber. I bought mine from local seller off craigslist for $250.00. The sound of an o/r prochamber like any midpipe is loud when you compare it to the stock catted H. Believe it or not at certain RPMS all o/r pipes including the prochamber can sound raspy. What did hi-flows actually do for the sound? The volume is in between the stock H and the o/r prochamber- just loud enough. Cleaned the sound up were it didn't sound as raspy and compared to the o/r prochamber it gave it a deeper tone. I also got back the back pressure that I was missing with the o/r midpipe.

Summary:
Prochamber w/hi-flows is a little expensive $710-720 parts and labor. Buy a used one if you can.
Volume is just right (of course that also depends on your axlebacks)
Any lack of back pressure will be resolved when adding hi-flows.
gmantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input! I've decided which way I'm going to go, mainly because of the bargain that I've found. I am going to go with the Magnaflow Tru-X clamp-in piece; I found it for $164 shipped, when everyone else wants $299 for it. I do appreciate your time and remarks.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That's a good price. Where did you find it for $164?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Auto Parts Warehouse

Search part # 15485
Old 10-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
Thanks for the input! I've decided which way I'm going to go, mainly because of the bargain that I've found. I am going to go with the Magnaflow Tru-X clamp-in piece; I found it for $164 shipped, when everyone else wants $299 for it. I do appreciate your time and remarks.
Hey mettalic did y9ou get the magnaflow 16411 or a different one?
gabe74gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Haven't gotten one yet. I've been doing the research to determine what I really want. The one I'll get when I order is the Magnaflow 15485. This one has no cats and the factory H section of the mid-pipe needs to be cut out so that the 15485 can be slip fit and clamped in place.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Gabe, 16411 is for a V-6. I've got a GT. I checked Magnaflow's site.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
Haven't gotten one yet. I've been doing the research to determine what I really want. The one I'll get when I order is the Magnaflow 15485. This one has no cats and the factory H section of the mid-pipe needs to be cut out so that the 15485 can be slip fit and clamped in place.
I am not sure how much that X-pipe will change the sound. I have read other post about those type of X-pipes such as the FRPP X pipe and they only change the sound a little during WOT. You may want to look into an X-pipe that replaces the cats as well. Here is one from last call racing
Magnaflow 15448 - Magnaflow Tru-X Stainless Steel Midpipe for 2005-2009 Mustang GT - Midpipes - Mustang Performance Parts
Old 10-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I may do that, but I'd really like to stay warranty-friendly until my warranty expires. The Ford cats flow pretty well, and the X should balance the pulses enough to smooth out the flow. If the sound changes just a little, I can live with that. I like the sound of my 'Paks! Plus, it's $164 vs $449 for the catted Tru-X. Appreciate all of the suggestions and research, Gman.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Did you get the X-pipe yet? If so, how do the magnapacks sound with this set-up?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

No, not yet. I'll probably wait until after the holidays, what with 5 grandchildren and all. I'm still leaning towards an X, but I'm leaning more towards the Bassani piece rather than the Magnaflow X. The Bassani costs more, but it supposedly flows better and sounds better. Decisions, decisions...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT