Lightweight Driveshaft Recommendations? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Lightweight Driveshaft Recommendations?

Hey guys - I've been researching different options for the first mod to my new '09 GT. Contrary to what most people seem to do, I've settled on not getting a CAI/tune until later down the road (probably 2nd or 3rd mod). I've decided to go for a set of rear gears and driveshaft swap first. Figure the gear swap will require re-calibration of speedometer - this way I don't have to get a custom tune twice (once before gears and once after).

I think I'm set on the FRPP 3.73 gears (4.10s seemed like they might be a bit steep for a daily driver that sees a lot of highway mileage) and have seen a lot of recommendations to just have a Ford dealership put them in right the first time and hopefully reduce the chances of having to bring it back in for gear whine.

Figured since I'd be having the gears changed out, this would be a good opportunity to also swap in an aluminum (or other reliable light-weight) driveshaft. So far I've only checked out the Dynotech driveshaft - I was wondering if anyone else has had good/bad experiences with different driveshafts and/or any other thoughts/recommendations for a complete newbie like me??

Also, do you guys think swapping the stock S197 GT driveshaft with an aluminum driveshaft is something I could do in a driveway with 4 jack stands? I'm looking to do as much work on my own as I can with the tools I've got access to if only for the experience. I've heard changing the driveshaft isn't all that bad. On the other hand, I've read about nightmare experiences trying to change out the rear gears.
FenixBirdWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Lightweight Driveshaft Recommendations?

you will have to go with an alum driveshaft, and generally they are 600-800 bucks. You should pick up about 5rwhp or so~ it all depends. Every 1lb you save off that rotating mass is like 10 in dead weight so it helps there a lot.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I was the dood asking the same question(s)-went so far as to contact via email-a company in CA that manufactures carbon fiber driveshaft(s)-after reading about them here-and following the link to the Impreza owners website, of all places... I still have the stocker on my car
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

carbon fiber is very expensive and can have issues they say down the road
Old 11-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

The Carbon Fiber piece is real nice and ridiculously light, however if it were to receive a chip from road debris it can come apart when it deems fit. I know some of the 03/04 cobra guys that installed one had that happen to them over time.

Your best bet is to go with a one piece aluminum drive shaft. And yes, you will be able to do this in your driveway with simple hand tools and 4 jack stands.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I would think Ford makes the aluminium driveshaft for S197. I eventually plan on getting the FRPP for my car. Also while you are replacing the driveshaft a lot of drivers like throw in the safety loop, whether or not the drag race. To many it is kind of like 2 mods that go hand in hand to just be one mod.

As for the install, replacing the driveshaft anyone can easily do. The hardest parts for a home mechanic would be 1) To remove the U-Joints, but after you remove one it should be easy from then on; 2) Crampness - it'll be tight under there and may be awkward to move around but it's not the worst of situations. Take into account that you'll have a pretty heavy long shaft to manuever under a car that's raised about a foot in the air.

For gears: Definitely get a reputable shop to do them. They can be a pain especially if there are minor issues. So let the shop deal with those minor issues. Ford would probably be a good place to start for the install, especially if you go for Ford gears and your car is still under warranty. This way if you need any warranty work, the same shop has done everything and they can't try and put it on another shop.

I would see though how much it would cost them to do the driveshaft (or just ask "hey can you throw an aluminium driveshaft while you're under there?"). Reason being is they will have to disconnect the driveshaft anyway, and if the car is in the shop and you're paying for a few hours labor you can probably get a deep discount on the driveshaft labor, or possible they'll do it for free. A good shop would tend to do this; Ford, GM, Mom & Pop. A dealer may think differently and charge full labor though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Ford Mustang Driveshafts at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

hope this helps
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Wow! I'm liking the look/function of the aluminum DS at AM + the Loop. That's about 1000.00-by the time it's all over with.. :burnout:
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
Old 12-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

I heard nothing but good about the axle exchange drive shaft, that's the one I'll get down the road (soon) The Axle Exchange Driveshafts - Custom Seamless DOM Steel and 6061T6 Aluminum USA Made. KYB, Exedy, Centric Parts, Maval, Spicer, Daiken, Valeo, LuK, Neapco
Old 12-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

if you get a tune up front and then put in gears you can modify that yourself, no retune required. Your tuner should have no trouble modifying that (wheel revolutions per mile)
Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Wow-impressive website for the Axle Exchange-100.00 cheaper than AMs driveshaft.. :worship:

Old 12-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #12
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

This is worth looking into.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT