Question about dynocharts & shift gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Question about dynocharts & shift gears

I've been reading up on dynochart and dynotuning and there's still one question that's been bugging me and I haven't figured out - all of the dynocharts I've seen so far display a number of trial runs or 'pulls'. Each pull has a HP plot and a Torque plot over the same RPM range.

Why does each pull only show one set of HP & TQ plots over the RPM range even though there are multiple shift gears the transmission can be in? Why wouldn't a HP & TQ plot have to be generated & displayed for each gear the car transmission can be in? I'm thinking that the the TQ value at 4000 RPM in 1st gear would be different than the TQ value at 4000 RPM in 2nd gear and so there would be value in measuring and plotting the HP & TQ curves in each gear. For example, I could use those plots to determine the best shift points from gear to gear when driving a manual tranny.

Was wondering if anyone might know the answer to this or be able to correct me if I'm making a faulty assumption somewhere along the way? Is it maybe the case that a dynochart for testing in one gear can be used to represent the HP & TQ curves for any other gear (maybe by throwing in some type of scaling factor) and so one set of HP & TQ curves for a single gear is all the information you really need? When dynotuning is performed and dynocharts are generated, what gear is the car typically put in for testing?
FenixBirdWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Question about dynocharts & shift gears

It is because you don't care what the ho and tq are in any gear that isn't a 1:1 ratio. Otherwise, the numbers would be inflated. The operator will get the car into the 1:1 gear which is usually 4th gear in a 5 or 6 speed trans and 3rd gear in a 4 speed trans before they start logging. Logging in other gears wouldn't report your true power levels. Like I said, they would be inflated.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Also, a dyno pull in a lower gear would not give you enough data to really see what was going on. For example, it takes very little time to hit redline in 1st gear where as it takes a bit longer to go from 2k to redline in a 1:1 gear. This gives you much better insight into what is happening as the motor is under much moreload for longer.
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

They calibrate the dyno to work with what ever gear they do the pull in, they dont shift on the dyno to get hp/tq readings. Some do drag strip runs and shift on the dyno but this is more about ET's than HP/TQ
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT