Shelby GT power pack Kit. Should I? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #1

Region: Mexico
Shelby GT power pack Kit. Should I?

Hello everybody.
What can you tell me aboute the effectiveness to install this pack on the GT 2009 Mustang?
It supouse to increases about 45 HP but what can you say me about the gasoline consumption and effect on engine life, the car behavior, etc?

I really want to instal it but I would like to know first
Thanks
carmonch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Shelby GT power pack Kit. Should I?

what all is included in the pack and how much? We may be able to get you more power for less money.

My friend has an 08 GT with:

C&L Race CAI setup (300.00)
Steeda Underdrive Pulley (200.00)
Ford Racing Axle Back (300.00)
SCT3 Tune from bamachips.com (450.00) MUCH superior to that CAN tune ford gives

He dynoed 315rwhp/300rwtq vs 260/260 stock so thats a gain of 55rwhp/40rwtq (just peak not even considering the power band comparison lol)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #3

It includes:
40 hp increase over stock per SAE J1349

113 mm Cold Air Kit M9603SVT07

Muffler Kit M5230SVT1

Performance Oil Filter

Pro-Cal tool voucher included with kit.

540 hp @ 6250 rpm

510 lbs-ft @ 4500 rpm

The cost is: 1350 dlls. What do u think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I think the HP numbers are a bunch of bull. 40 hp increase gets you to 540 hp? Um, that's a big jump from 305 or 320 whatever the GT's come with now.

Do you have a link to where this kit is listed for sale with those kind of increase gains?

For $1300, get a CAI, mufflers, and a tune like Spector said...still not spend as much money, and get more HP gain at the wheels, not at the crank like MFGRs always quote.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #5

Yea thats right! don't know why 540 HP!? . I have the promotional link for this pack but not in this computer so i´ll give you it later .
Since I´m too far from USA have a kind of difficulty to get the accessories, But if I get them... do you think they will cause a decrease in engine life or a significant increase in the gasoline consumption?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the power pack you are talking about could be the one for the shelby GT500.

The high performance oil filter... wont add any power so I am not sure why its in there.

A real tune with cai/exhaust/and underdrive pulley will have you up and going much better.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Spector, sorry to jump in here, but I've heard that some of the custom tuners (not saying Doug specifically) turn OFF some of the factory protection routines in their tunes, such as high cat temp limits, etc. Supposedly Ford can tell when a PCM has been flashed with a custom tune and then returned to the factory tune when you take your car in for maintenance or warranty work, thus creating a possible warranty problem. Anyway, just wanted to bring that issue up about the custom tunes; I'd rather run my "mild" FRPP tune and keep my engine fully protected than to cause possible damage at the expense of 5-10 more HP. Just a thought...
MetallicMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

not sure on what they turn off, that would be a tuner question. I know on newer GT's they can keep track of tunes that have been loaded on the car (2010+) not sure on 05-09's~ good question though.

They wouldnt check anyway unless there is something bad wrong and they are trying to deny work.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

And then they would have to prove that what you did in fact cause the problem.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

^^ very true... but when it comes to a dealer they can pretty much do what ever they want. In order for you to fight it it takes forever... and by the time you are done you are left a broken man lol
Old 12-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I hear that. My concern however is about what the tuners are doing to our expensive motors when they turn things off that Ford puts in place to ensure drivability and reliablility. It ain't like the old days anymore when "tuning" meant bolting on new hardware and resizing carb jets.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

To the OP, the 540 HP claim is for the Shelby cars. The CAI in that package won't fit a naturally aspirated motor; it's for supercharged applications. Check out the FRPP performance pack for the Mustang GT; it's pretty much the same items as the one you're looking at, but it's specifically for the Mustang GT. Part number M-FR1-MGT. Try fordracingpartsdirect.com
Old 12-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
Hey Spector, sorry to jump in here, but I've heard that some of the custom tuners (not saying Doug specifically) turn OFF some of the factory protection routines in their tunes, such as high cat temp limits, etc. Supposedly Ford can tell when a PCM has been flashed with a custom tune and then returned to the factory tune when you take your car in for maintenance or warranty work, thus creating a possible warranty problem. Anyway, just wanted to bring that issue up about the custom tunes; I'd rather run my "mild" FRPP tune and keep my engine fully protected than to cause possible damage at the expense of 5-10 more HP. Just a thought...
To be honest, once you decide to start modifying your car you might as well throw the warranty out the window. I would much rather have my car put on a dyno and have a custom tune made (even for minor bolt-ons) than to trust a canned tune. Every vehicle reacts to modifications differently and I highly recommend having it checked by being put on a chassis dyno.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. I'm talking about custom tunes turning off things, not the canned tunes. I asked the question of one of the popular tuners after emailing back and forth a few times; never heard from them since. As for warranty worries, bolt ons do not affect the warranty unless the dealer can prove that the bolt on caused the problem. That's the Magnussen-Moss Act.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I agree. I'm talking about custom tunes turning off things, not the canned tunes. I asked the question of one of the popular tuners after emailing back and forth a few times; never heard from them since. As for warranty worries, bolt ons do not affect the warranty unless the dealer can prove that the bolt on caused the problem. That's the Magnussen-Moss Act.
But...it doesn't take much for them to start putting things together.

Let's say you blow a spark plug out of the head. You have a axle back exhaust and cold air intake with a tune from someone other than FRPP. They can say it was caused by you modifying the engine to put out more power than it was designed for from the factory and void your warranty. But, somehow the FRPP intake/exhaust/tune wouldn't void it.
Our's:
Old 12-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Again, the dealer has to PROVE it, not just SAY that it was caused by mods. Sure, a specific dealership can refuse to work on your car, but they cannot void your warranty at the drop of a hat. For your example, they would have to prove that the mods caused enough pressure in the combustion chamber to blow the plug out. The CAI would increase airflow, causing the computer to squirt more fuel, but the modded exhaust flows freer, allowing that extra pressure to exit faster and smoother. So, what caused the plug to blow? That's how they'd have to prove that the mods caused the problem.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Warranties are overated.Modding is half the fun so JUST DO IT! lol.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm with you there, except for the $$$ items like motors and trannies. How do you like the tune from Doug?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

it is true that technically a dealer has to prove a mod caused the issue but... fighting with a dealership is a very very hard battle that is very hard and expensive to win so keep that in mind.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

According to the law, in order for a dealer to deny warranty coverage on the basis of a vehicle owner using aftermarket parts, the dealer has to prove that a particular aftermarket part caused the problem that the vehicle was brought in for. This protects us from Ford, GM, etc. demanding that we only use factory parts in the repair and maintenance of our vehicles. A warranty claim cannot be denied due soley to the use of non-OEM parts, unless said part actually caused the problem. Example, many people think that a red-oiled brand of air filter will foul MAF sensors and that the dealer will not replace the MAF under warranty. Not true, unless the dealer can prove that the oil caused the failure of the sensor, and not an internal problem with the sensor. The red-oiled filter folks will actually back up their products in court, if necessary.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I don't think the Magnussen-Moss Act applies to those living in other countries such as Mexico unless the OP went to an American dealer, in which case I don't think the act goes far enough to limit where the owner has his car (i.e. assuming that as long as the car was purchased in the U.S. the owner is covered).
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
According to the law, in order for a dealer to deny warranty coverage on the basis of a vehicle owner using aftermarket parts, the dealer has to prove that a particular aftermarket part caused the problem that the vehicle was brought in for. This protects us from Ford, GM, etc. demanding that we only use factory parts in the repair and maintenance of our vehicles. A warranty claim cannot be denied due soley to the use of non-OEM parts, unless said part actually caused the problem. Example, many people think that a red-oiled brand of air filter will foul MAF sensors and that the dealer will not replace the MAF under warranty. Not true, unless the dealer can prove that the oil caused the failure of the sensor, and not an internal problem with the sensor. The red-oiled filter folks will actually back up their products in court, if necessary.
Do a search sometime of bad experiences with GM/Ford/Dodge when it comes to warranty coverage. They may have to cover said parts and service, but I promise they can go longer without you having a vehicle than you care to spend. I can post a few links if you would like.

I've only owned 2 vehicles that had an existing manufacturer warranty. On my 02 V6 (bought oct 2002) I attempted to have the passenger manifold and driver seat belt retainer replaced and was denied on both accounts as these were normal wear and tear items and not manufacturer defects. Both have since had TSB's and there is a recall on the seat belt retainers if I recall correctly. They would not do a thing for me and I paid out of pocket for both items. From that point forward the only time my car saw the dealership was to have a tranny flush at 75k and to get inspection stickers.

My 03 Cobra had an extended warranty from Ford and I never took the time to have it converted into my name. Waste of time and money. They would have denied my steering rack because I have aftermarket springs, tie rod ends, and sway bars so there's no use. They would deny my leaking rear diff cover since I have aftermarket braces on the IRS.
Our's:
Old 12-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yup, they will screw you at times, some dealers are good and some are bad... if they want to screw you even though you know you are in the right... you wont really be able to do crap about it unless you feel like spending a ton of money... so most give up
Old 12-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

`Strictly at the individual dealers discretion-as the dealerships are individually owned and operated...
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

lowflyn, you are talking about the passenger side exhaust manifold, correct? They said that was a normal wear and tear item? How? It has no moving parts. Unless it was the gasket, which should have been covered by the power train warranty. As for the Cobra, how do braces affect the pumpkin cover? You keep saying "would have", which tells me you didn't actually take the car in to have it fixed. Not trying to start an argument with you, but it seems to me that you are assuming they won't help you without finding out for sure that is the case. Just my opinion.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #26
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
lowflyn, you are talking about the passenger side exhaust manifold, correct? They said that was a normal wear and tear item? How? It has no moving parts. Unless it was the gasket, which should have been covered by the power train warranty. As for the Cobra, how do braces affect the pumpkin cover? You keep saying "would have", which tells me you didn't actually take the car in to have it fixed. Not trying to start an argument with you, but it seems to me that you are assuming they won't help you without finding out for sure that is the case. Just my opinion.
They would deny the issue with the brace because in order to install it you have to unbolt 6 or 8 (can't remember exactly) of the diff bolts to install it. That unbolting of the bolts can and has caused the seal to break on other cars and the dealership would jump all over that. And to clarify in case you aren't sure which brace he's talking about...it's the IRS diff brace to reinforce the cheapo ford gave us that tends to grenade when you decide to launch hard with good traction.

I was lucky and my diff started leaking before the brace...in fact, when I took it in for the warranty work to reseal the diff, I had them install the brace at that time for an extra $20 cash.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, now I see what he was talking about. Not having ever owned a Mustang with IRS, I didn't now the specifics. I stand corrected. About the pumpkin, that is. I'd still like to know about wear and tear on an exhaust manifold. That's a new one on me.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #28
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I agree, but dealerships will do anything to get out of free work.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Okay, now I see what he was talking about. Not having ever owned a Mustang with IRS, I didn't now the specifics. I stand corrected. About the pumpkin, that is. I'd still like to know about wear and tear on an exhaust manifold. That's a new one on me.
There was a TSB issued about the problem. The a/c compressor dripped directly on the flange where the manifold met the y-pipe. Ford's fix was to install a piece of gutter to reroute the dripping water elsewhere. Wouldn't give a new manifold to me though.

Roughly half of the 99-04 V6 cars I see around here have the same issue and the owners are oblivious to the problem. I found mine when the passenger side exhaust was hanging on the ground (true duals). With the y-pipe I probably would have spent months trying to find the exhaust leak.
Our's:
Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

That's something else, man. That really burns me that they called that "normal wear and tear"; the only normal thing about it is Ford's lame attempt to cover up a design flaw. My wife and I used to have a '97 V-6 Mustang (her car) that had a transmission problem: the torque converter clutches would glaze over due to some problem that Ford knew about for quite some time. Had to fight to get them to honor a TSB repair since we bought the car used. I love my 'Stang, but Ford can't hold a candle to Chevrolet when it comes to the service department and GM's lifetime warranty on most parts and repairs.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I agree, but dealerships will do anything to get out of free work.
+10000000000000000000000000 you would be amazed what they will try to get out of... in a perfect world sure you would be fine but thats not how for stealerships generally operate.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT