Exhaust system tips - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #36
Region: Texas
Re: Exhaust system tips

I have a couple of mods on my S197. The first thing I replaced were the stock mufflers with Flowmaster American Thunder axlebacks. Big difference in sound as far as lower overall tone. I then added a BBK twin 62mm throttle body. Those that say this is a waste of money I am sure have not added one. It makes a difference in throttle response. You do have to follow the directions and adjust your TPS voltage correctly to make it work. I think this is the big issue with most installs. People do not read the directions. You can't just bolt it on and expect it to work properly.

I then added a BBK CAI ( after a mess with a Steeda & SCT tuner ). This really works. Again, follow ALL the directions and you will not have a problem with engine lights. This intake is top notch quality. It does not look cheap like some of the other plastic ones. This mod also made a big difference in performance and sound.

The most recent mod is a set of FRPP shorty headers. These too are not a waste of money. A difference in low end torque is very noticible. The exhause sounds even deeper, and the engine is quieter. Quieter? Thats right. Now the engine sounds smooth with a low deep tone. It sounds like it is not working as hard from inside the car.

Decide what kind of sound/performance you want. If you keep the H pipe you will love the Flowmasters. If you want to change to an x pipe....get the straight through design mufflers. I prefer the chambered sound with the H pipe. Intake does make a difference in exhaust sound as well.

It is YOUR car and make it sound and perform as you like.

2K9 GT with FRPP shortys, BBK CAI, BBK twin 62mm throttle body, Flowmaster American Thunder
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #37
Registered Member
Region: Louisiana
Re: Exhaust system tips

Originally Posted by quinnmustang View Post
So, we found a muffler shop with a great reputation for mods in Deer Park, TX (near Houston). They will cut the Y mid-pipe out of my son's V6, add a stainless pipe to the driver's side with an "H" pipe connection, cut the rear bumber for the driver's side exhaust tip and install a pair of mufflers and tips of our choice (within a certain price range) for $450 total.
He's giving us mufflers like Magnaflows, Cherry Bombs, Flowmasters to choose from plus he has plenty of GT and/or Shelby mufflers (which he says are basically the same thing). We're planning on going with the Flowmaster 40's.
I found a couple of statements from Flowmaster's website that I would like comments on

I myself am not familiar with the issues from the V6 to true dual set-ups in the late models. Although, I would recommend getting a tune if it is a concern. If you use a local shop and purchase a tuner you should be able to return for free tune modifications for each mod you continue to add. This will eliminate the chances of running lean or rich.

As far as exhaust goes... take a look at some videos:

YouTube - Mustang V6 Dual Exhaust

SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT