tpms question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
tpms question

ok i have a 2007 mustang gt with tpms. on my year it's the sensors with the bands around the wheel. from what i understand in 09(maybe even 08) they have the sensors with the valve stem. can i put the the 2008/09 sensors in my 07 and it work? i really dont like the band type sensors and i have aftermarket wheels on my car with no sensors and i was hoping i could put the valve stem type sensors in my wheels.
07gt. sct 93octane custom tune,bbk cold air intake,kooks LT headers,o/r x-pipe,borla stingers, ford racing 3.73 gears,19" tsw wheels,eibach sportline lowering springs, 12k hid headlights, clear turn signal lens, cdc upper and lower billet grille.
07stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: tpms question

My '08 sensors were the banded type, not the valve stem type. If you replace your sensors with the newer style, you'll also need to buy a "relearning" tool or take your car to a dealer to program the new sensors to your PCM. A cheaper solution is to buy aftermarket bands from AM ($29.99 per pair) and then go to your local tire shop to have them installed. The aftermarket bands will fit up to 20" wheels, if I remember correctly. Plus they're reusable, as opposed to the one-time-use Ford bands, which are $55 each.
MetallicMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
My '08 sensors were the banded type, not the valve stem type. If you replace your sensors with the newer style, you'll also need to buy a "relearning" tool or take your car to a dealer to program the new sensors to your PCM. A cheaper solution is to buy aftermarket bands from AM ($29.99 per pair) and then go to your local tire shop to have them installed. The aftermarket bands will fit up to 20" wheels, if I remember correctly. Plus they're reusable, as opposed to the one-time-use Ford bands, which are $55 each.
so i can use the valve stem type sensors? i figured i needed to get them programmed. i dont have the band type sensors anymore. so i just assume go with the valve stem type sensors.
07gt. sct 93octane custom tune,bbk cold air intake,kooks LT headers,o/r x-pipe,borla stingers, ford racing 3.73 gears,19" tsw wheels,eibach sportline lowering springs, 12k hid headlights, clear turn signal lens, cdc upper and lower billet grille.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

If you do go with the valve stem sensors -expect to have to encode them to your ECM. If you decide to go with a band mounted, style sensor-instead-be sure and mount the sensor near-in close proximity-to the valve stem-as they are mounted in the stock wheels.
That way-your friendly tire guy won't tear them up -in the event of a mount/dismount/tire repair situation..
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit View Post
If you do go with the valve stem sensors -expect to have to encode them to your ECM. If you decide to go with a band mounted, style sensor-instead-be sure and mount the sensor near-in close proximity-to the valve stem-as they are mounted in the stock wheels.
That way-your friendly tire guy won't tear them up -in the event of a mount/dismount/tire repair situation..
what do you mean encode them?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

07, I don't know if the stem type will work or not. I don't see why not, as long as you can make the computer sense their presence. The sensors work by transmitting a radio frequency signal, so you'd need to determine if the PCM in your car can detect and translate the frequency that the stem-type sensors operate with. Regardless, you'll need to either go to Ford or buy yourself a tool to enable the new sensors to "talk" to your car's computer. That's what jimbullitt meant by "encode". He was incorrect however concerning sensor placement if you go back to the band type; they need to be mounted opposite the valve stems, not near them.
MetallicMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i know you have to relearn the sensors. anytime u replace a tire pressure sensor on any car you have to relearn the sensors. i know all that. what im trying to find out is if anyone knows for sure i can put valve stem type sensors on my 07.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT