I need help with a few questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #1

I need help with a few questions

First of all, Hi. This is my first post on this forum.

Now that that is over, I want to explain my situation. I like Mustang, especially, the older versions like 1965-1969. Obviously, the 05-11 are inspired from that generation and so I like the 05-11 as well. I don't have much money for a car now, but I will have enough to buy a car in a few months. I will try to customize it as well.

Now I have a few questions since this is a mustang forum.

How often do the Mustang 05-10 break down. I see the reviews for these cars and stuff and they all have a 6 for reliability. What's worse is that some reviews claim that Ford cars can't go above 70,000 mileage without braking down. After 80k or so, they are basically a car that should be replaced. Is this really true?

Also, most reviews don't really have good understanding of reliability. They deduct points for some stuff that aren't even in the reliability category. I want a car that can last long especially since this will be my first official car and I want it to last from beginning of college to the end (4yrs).

Another question is, do Mustang cost a lot to maintain with the exceptions of gas?

And also, what is the best version of 05-09 Mustang? Base. I might even get a used GT with 13,000 Mileage.

Finally, are the 67-69 any good now? If they are re-conditioned? I am guessing the engine is bad, and nearly everything else is bad as well? I am sure it takes more then 50k to make it nice something like that movie Tokyo Drift.
xjlxking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: I need help with a few questions

These cars are very reliable. I bought a 2002 V6 in 10/02 to get me through college. I sold it in 2008 with just over 100,000 miles on it and the current owner now has over 130,000 miles with the only major failure being the fuel system (which was my fault for running the tank empty all the time). Factory battery and belt lasted over 100,000 miles. It was well worth the money I spent on it.

These cars will last you just as long as any other car as long as they are maintained correctly.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #3

Interesting. And if compared to a Subaru, Evo, Lancer, Honda, and Toyota, is the reliability able to compete with theirs?

Thanks for the quick responce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjlxking View Post
Interesting. And if compared to a Subaru, Evo, Lancer, Honda, and Toyota, is the reliability able to compete with theirs?

Thanks for the quick responce
I wouldn't hesitate to get in our 1990 5.0 Mustang with 150,000 miles and drive cross-country. If you care for a car and take care of the normal maintenance items there is no reason you won't get well over 200,000 miles out of the original engine.

I've never owned any of the makes you listed above so I cannot give an honest review but Fords have not led me wrong thus-far.

If you're wanting something fun to get you through college there's nothing like a Mustang for the task.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I have owned three mustangs over the past 12 years and so far no major issues... its not to say that it cant happen but if you take care of your vehicle and do the correct upkeep generally you are perfectly fine.

My main issue is when they do break down guess which is cheaper to fix... a Ford or a Toyota... Ill give you a hint... its not the Toyota.

The engine/transmission that is used in the 05-11 mustangs have been used in them pretty much since 96... its good to go so is the rear end... which has been used in them for FOREVER.

Basically you buy a beat on POS you get a beat on POS to fix.. you buy a nice car thats taken care of and continue to do so... you will be fine, something will happen but generally its minor (all cars break down dont belive that BS that the import people force down your throat about being better made, its 100% BS)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Buy a Toyota-and have the throttle stick wide open
I agree with everything that's been said. I have had 4 other mustangs-this being number 5 Change the oil, change the oil. A vehicle is only as good as you maintain it. Buy American-not an imported P.O.S.C.
You will appreciate the less $-out of pocket-across the board-parts and labor, both. Mustang is still user friendly-yes there is a computer-but plenty of room in the engine bay. Keep the forum posted-send in pics of your `stang-when you get it !
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #7

I will try, but I am busy. I have work for 8 hours and college soon for 6 hours. No time to go on my computer. Though, I will try. Now, I need to ask. How is the insurance premium?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Insurance will depend on your driving record,your age,model of car and what kind of plan you get
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #9

So how much is it for yours
Old 02-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjlxking View Post
First of all, Hi. This is my first post on this forum.

Now that that is over, I want to explain my situation. I like Mustang, especially, the older versions like 1965-1969. Obviously, the 05-11 are inspired from that generation and so I like the 05-11 as well. I don't have much money for a car now, but I will have enough to buy a car in a few months. I will try to customize it as well.

Now I have a few questions since this is a mustang forum.

How often do the Mustang 05-10 break down. I see the reviews for these cars and stuff and they all have a 6 for reliability. What's worse is that some reviews claim that Ford cars can't go above 70,000 mileage without braking down. After 80k or so, they are basically a car that should be replaced. Is this really true?

Also, most reviews don't really have good understanding of reliability. They deduct points for some stuff that aren't even in the reliability category. I want a car that can last long especially since this will be my first official car and I want it to last from beginning of college to the end (4yrs).

Another question is, do Mustang cost a lot to maintain with the exceptions of gas?

And also, what is the best version of 05-09 Mustang? Base. I might even get a used GT with 13,000 Mileage.

Finally, are the 67-69 any good now? If they are re-conditioned? I am guessing the engine is bad, and nearly everything else is bad as well? I am sure it takes more then 50k to make it nice something like that movie Tokyo Drift.
to be honest in the 6 months i have had mine ive had the clutch replaced and the torch converter. (mind you its an Automatic. but...that would have been the driver.) im lookin at 12.7 mpg right now. on a long hull to NC i was at around 25mpg. also recently the windows didnt work quite right. (caused by the ice and snow weve had this month. window froze. just had to reset it) insurace for me went up $25 a month. wich isnt bad.

all said and done tho. i wouldnt trade it for anyhing. its been good to me other than those. but that was my bad. and besides. the ladies love em

you should be able to do it cheaper than 50K. it was a nice car but im sure they didnt put that kinda cash into it. if you look in the right places you can find the parts you need at a low cost. nothin better than a classic.
tylbrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

After 80k or so, they are basically a car that should be replaced. Is this really true?

Not in my experience..
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

i wouldnt think so. theres a few post about how many mile on there mustangs. many have more than 80k listed. i know ford get a lot of **** for their cars not being worth the money. mostly buy guys that drive imports. "they last forever" well that basicly true out of any car really. as long as you maintain it and treat it right. the only thing keeping imports at high dollar is the movies and the fact that you can pick a tuner up for 5k. then drop 15k just in the engine to give it the same hp as a stock muscle car. if your talking about clasics still. if your worried about the engine pick yourself up a crate engine build it up. but even still. my dads got a 1966 ford galaxy convertable that has the original motor and traney. it runs like it did in '66.
tylbrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

ford is one of the more reliable brands nowadays. it had a bad rep in the past but they completely turned themselves around. take a look at their stance in the industry. its rock solid because they had the ability to learn and adapt from their mistakes.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

+1-and Thanks, wiarumas

Old 02-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit View Post
Buy a Toyota-and have the throttle stick wide open
I agree with everything that's been said. I have had 4 other mustangs-this being number 5 Change the oil, change the oil. A vehicle is only as good as you maintain it. Buy American-not an imported P.O.S.C.
You will appreciate the less $-out of pocket-across the board-parts and labor, both. Mustang is still user friendly-yes there is a computer-but plenty of room in the engine bay. Keep the forum posted-send in pics of your `stang-when you get it !
I love everything you just said.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT