BUMMED with SCT tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs down BUMMED with SCT tuner

I bought and received my SCT tuner recently and it has a problem. I have tried for 2 days now to get through to their technical support and have spent up to an hour on hold. They don't call back and they don't answer their phones.

If you are thinking about getting one of these..... my advice is DON'T
Spend your money on another product....there is PI$$ Poor customer service with these guys.
RadStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: BUMMED with SCT tuner

Ummm, and what is your problem with it? And which tuner do you have?

My XCal 2 runs circles around the diablo predator I had before it....so quantify your statements please.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

And my Xcal3 has had no problems what so ever.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

BRAND NEW...SCT-SF3, just recieved it on Friday last.
I am not able to get my computer to recognize that it is there using the latest SCT Device Updater. I keep getting a "invalid device" error when I run the Updater and then their updater locks up my computer.
I am running a lap top with Windows Vista installed. Should be no problem
Old 02-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Did you install the drivers for the device? If not, you can go to www.sctflash.com and get them.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Have you installed the drivers for your device on your computer yet? Or are you just plugging in the device to your computer without the drivers? The drivers should have come on the CD that comes with the device.

Edit: Dammit 19Delta...you beat me to it while I was looking for the direct link to the drivers. lol
Old 02-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Mine didn't come with the CD, so I had to go to sctflash.com and download them. That's more than likely what his problem is.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, followed all the directions that came with the tuner, and went to their web page, my next resort was to try their customer service. Thats where the bummer comes in....
Can't get through, left a message yesterday to ask them to call me back, no return call, so today i camped the "hold" line for an hour and a half, had to take a break after my ear almost fell off and left another message.
Their customer service absolutly SUX
Old 02-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Hrm, I've never had a problem with them. Did you try the online chat?
Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

NO, but I will try that now
The REAL bummer is i have a CAI i wanna install and then do a new tune. I am glad I waited to install the CAI before messin with the tune
Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
Road Trip!

True that.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

SCT Live Support is currently unavailable. Please leave a message below and one of our support personnel will get back to you shortly.
Full Name:
Email:

Subject:

LOL, ain't this the *****s.....I rest my case... their customer service SUX
Old 02-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

So leave a message for the live support who is probably off on their lunch break or in a meeting or whatever else might be going on.

I still say it's a driver issue with vista...
Old 02-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Vista = sucks.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I did leave a message.

I would think that if there is a driver issue, than there would be more info available, specially on their web site.....Dunno, I been searchin hi and low for info, I WANNA install my CAI and go for a ride darnit
Old 02-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I update my tuner via my windows xp machine with no issues and had to install no drivers~ if you have an xp box try that route~ coulde be a vista issue.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Well I have Windows 7 and I didn't have an issue. There are steps on the actual SCT site that say you have to have the drivers installed for vista+, that it's not a plug and play like on XP.

How to Check/Manually Install Drivers - SCT Tech Support SupportSuite
Old 02-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

kk, followed all the instructions and still no go. I will try again on Monday. Luckily I have vacation this next week and I can spend it gettin this straightened out... I would much rather be cruisin with my new CAI with the proper tune though.
Oh well......I am STILL of the opinion that SCT's customer service is absolutely....positively.....the SUX
Old 03-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

vista is your problem!!!! i could never get vista to work right with my kpro on my civic. now it doesnt like sct so i use my old xp laptop to load tunes. either use someone elses no vista computer or upgrade to windows 7.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I have an SCT and had no problems with a Vista computer. But I know where you are coming from, my buddy had the same problems you are having and it took him forever to get a response.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #21
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I always had problems with SCT software when trying to get it running on Windows XP. That was a few years ago though and I'm not idiot when it comes to working with computers.

(I couldn't get it to work on my Desktop or Laptop long enough to do anything. It would either not work or load and then crash at some point.)

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Probably just the loose nuts behind the steering wheels.

Step 1:

Please use a Windows OS of quality. Vista came with it's problems and fixes---Wait.... NO fixes. You were thrown to the dogs with that. I'm sure some guru somewhere has your solution. Good Luck!

Although if you would like I can point you into the right direction of any operating system you would like to use...free. I find 7 Ultimate to be great but unecessary. I would probably reccomend you settle for a lite Pro or Home Premium version.

SCT should have returned your phone call. Do you have a speech impediment, talk fast, slow, or low? Just curious. What car are you driving? I suppose a S197? If not, slap that CAI and go on until you find a solution.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #23
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Probably just the loose nuts behind the steering wheels.

Step 1:

Please use a Windows OS of quality. Vista came with it's problems and fixes---Wait.... NO fixes. You were thrown to the dogs with that. I'm sure some guru somewhere has your solution. Good Luck!

Although if you would like I can point you into the right direction of any operating system you would like to use...free. I find 7 Ultimate to be great but unecessary. I would probably reccomend you settle for a lite Pro or Home Premium version.

SCT should have returned your phone call. Do you have a speech impediment, talk fast, slow, or low? Just curious. What car are you driving? I suppose a S197? If not, slap that CAI and go on until you find a solution.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
What?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

NOTHING loose behind my wheel friend. Nor a speech impediment, SCT just has crappy customer service. Thanks for your wonderful help though, VERY well thought out, and MUCH appreciated.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadStang View Post
NOTHING loose behind my wheel friend. Nor a speech impediment, SCT just has crappy customer service. Thanks for your wonderful help though, VERY well thought out, and MUCH appreciated.
The internet doesn't help with sarcasm. I wasn't bashing you in the least bit, although you would have never known unless you could here my tone. I was actually taking a stab at SCT. I have had my own problems within their service.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #27

I hear ya. SCT is terrible. I bought a tuner from AM with a Steeda CAI. The tuner stopped working during the middle of a flash and corrupted my ECU. The car had to be towed to Ford and reflashed. SCT's response was send the tuner back to them and pay $150 since it was 3 1/2 months old. AM had no sympathy as well. $600 down the drain for 3 1/2 months of use. Since then I have gone to a "tunless" CAI and a couple of other "tuneless" mods. I really wanted a Diablo tuner from Bamachips but it looks like they are out of business. I just can't believe the crappy customer service from these people. These mods are not cheap.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofas View Post
I hear ya. SCT is terrible. I bought a tuner from AM with a Steeda CAI. The tuner stopped working during the middle of a flash and corrupted my ECU. The car had to be towed to Ford and reflashed. SCT's response was send the tuner back to them and pay $150 since it was 3 1/2 months old. AM had no sympathy as well. $600 down the drain for 3 1/2 months of use. Since then I have gone to a "tunless" CAI and a couple of other "tuneless" mods. I really wanted a Diablo tuner from Bamachips but it looks like they are out of business. I just can't believe the crappy customer service from these people. These mods are not cheap.
I can sell you a diablo - used with a scratched face, but it works and is unmarried
Old 03-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #29

Price?
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Shoot. I have no idea, I've had it for a while.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Hey RadStand I am going to use my virginity post on this one but I might be able to help you out. Does SCT have a program you start before you hook up the device? If so close the program down, right click on the icon (or make one on your desktop) and "Run as Administrator" (might have to hold shift when you right click to see the options). I have had several device problems and basic F ups with Vista for everything from games to watch interfaces. Usually that helps when you run the program as an administrator and for some reason it gives you full access to all the program and device functions. Let me know if this helps, it will be interesting to see if it works.
Starfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 AM   #32

SCT's poor customer service and the tuner dying have nothing to do with Vista. Most Vista issues are due to old hardware and not the OS.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Starfire, I actually tried that. NO better. I am gonna return the unit from where I bought it and try to get another one. Don't know what else to do as my vacation time is up and I am on west coast and they are on east coast I don't have the time to sit on hold in the early morning hours and they are closed by the time I get home in the evening. Geeze, NOTHING is easy, lol.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Actually I disagree, what bozo decided to mock up a new OS when XP SP2 was one of the greatest of the OS operating the world at the time. Vista should have never been born. XP to 7 should have been the path. Vista lacked compatibility with numerous programs and applications that plagued the industry upon it's release. If anything Vista should have been release later and closer to the finished design of 7.

Vista as an OS is to blame for 95% of the issues. It was like trying to use MAC in the 90s. Nothing worked with it.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #35

I built 6 or 7 computers and used Vista 64 bit with 8gb of ram on each one and never had an an issue. I even used and old Canon scanner, SB LIVE! card, Hercules webcam, on and on and on. I guess I am just that awesome. Back to Mustangs shall we?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT