Just bought it now what do I do with it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just bought it now what do I do with it?

Hello good folks. I’m new here and new to Mustangs. Just bought a 2008GT 25k mile, 5spd,all leather loaded inc. shaker sound and those custom lights but I have heard from my son in law (Master Tech Heavy Line Mec for Dodge) that there can be a problem when you change the plugs? It has the earlier AA code on the valve cover. What do I need to do? If this has been addressed here before just please direct me to the thread. Thanks for your time.
PS
I took it straight over to my muffler man and had a set of Flow master cat backs installed with sonic tips that he recommended and he said they will match up to a set of headers. Sounds sweet but should I have gotten another brand or type? (: Also I have been trying to figure out the color? Where are the codes? It's a good looking dark met flake blue?
oldtexasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Just bought it now what do I do with it?

There is an issue with the plugs breaking upon removal on the 08-09's. I know some of the other guys who own them can give you details.

As fars the exhaust, Flowmaster is a decent brand. They sound good on the 3v v8's, just keep on eye on them to make sure they don't rust out too soon (they are known to rust out pretty quickly)
I haven't heard of "sonic tips", though certain tips do affect the tone of the exhaust.

As far as headers...If you get longtubes, you might have to do some modifications to make them work with the other piping.

I believe the color of your car is vista blue. It replaced sonic blue in 2006 and has been available through the 2009 models. It is a very nice color, a tad darker than sonic blue, but very eye catching.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

+1 Vista Blue
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks I found the color code on the door-DUH??! G9=Vista Blue-Give the Man a cigar!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

No reason to upgrade to any aftermarket plugs at your power level. Plus you'll spend about $130 bucks for 8 plugs if you do...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #6

IMO, you have a great car as is. If you have time and gas money, take a highway trip with the cruise control on at the posted speed limit and check out your gas mileage. I think you will be more than pleasantly surprised. Then decide what mods if any you want to make; it's your car and money so do what you like the best.
FRONTIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #7

Flows and shortys sound great. I have sound clips of mine if interested.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Just my opinion but if you are gonna do headers go for Longtubes (kooks) the stockers flow just as good as aftermarket shorties and the sound you get from a full exhaust with LTs is amazing.Throw on a Cai and tune....boom bada bing!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #9

Manifolds do not flow as well as shorties and they do not sound the same either. I am sure the LT's are very nice. Everyone has their own reasons for the mods they choose. Shorties will give you a tad more HP and a good boost in low end torque...it is well documented with dyno numbers. There is debate that LT's and ST's give similar dyno numbers. The new midpipe with the LT's give the "extra" performance some say. Who really cares? Do what ya like and have a great time driving your Mustang....thats why we all bought one!

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...o_results.html
Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofas View Post
Shorties will give you a tad more HP and a good boost in low end torque...it is well documented with dyno numbers.
As will the LT's do in the mid to high rpm range. It's a give and take relationship similar to the cats/no cats discussions. Lose HP for TQ or Lose TQ for HP, bottom end/top end... I recommend to do your research based on your plans with the car (mods & power #'s) compared to others mods to figure out the combination of your choice.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

1) 05-mid 08 had spark plug removal problems. mid 08 and have 1 piece sparkplugs. as long as you spray some seafoam deep creep in the holes before removal you will be fine.
2) please stay away from flowmaster and shorty headers. flowmasters will actually make you lose horsepower, its been proven on these cars many times so dont argue. shortys might give 2-3 whp max and spending another $100 or so more will get you longtubes, which gave me pretty nice gains with stock mufflers still on.
3) first thing you should buy is a intake and tuner package from someone like tps, jms, or bbr.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofas View Post
Manifolds do not flow as well as shorties and they do not sound the same either. I am sure the LT's are very nice. Everyone has their own reasons for the mods they choose. Shorties will give you a tad more HP and a good boost in low end torque...it is well documented with dyno numbers. There is debate that LT's and ST's give similar dyno numbers. The new midpipe with the LT's give the "extra" performance some say. Who really cares? Do what ya like and have a great time driving your Mustang....thats why we all bought one!

Dyno Results After Installing BBK Exhaust Headers - Mustang Monthly Magazine
with your mods i wouldnt give advice. shortys 5whp max, flowmasters 5whp loss, bbk cai doesnt require a tune so thats giving you no gain, and bbk tb 2whp max with dyno tuning. so you spent over $1k for 5whp.........
Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

How fast did you hit the wall?
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

welcome! My friend has an 08 GT and he changed his stock plugs to ones that do not have the issue. His came out with no issue, he took it easy on them and they came right out.

he put in autolite ht1? or something similar... pricey but good piece of mind. If you break one there IS a procedure to fix it but its costly through ford (very costly)

Same 08 gt has:
steeda udp
C&L race with bamachips 93 tune (one of the best tuners for 05+ gt's)
ford racing axle back mufflers

put down 320rwhp on a dynojet and right at that in tq i think vs 260 stock (manual transmission car)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Autolite HT1 it will be. Thanks for the tip. I'll do that this weekend.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

autolite ht1's should be fine and can be bought online for $80-$90 online.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT