What Benifits can I expect from a CAI with tuner on my 08? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What Benifits can I expect from a CAI with tuner on my 08?

I have a 2008 GT stock 5 speed manual with a 3:31 rear. From what I have read here it seems that the owners of the automatic tran models get the most benifits from a CAI with tuner? Would my hard earned money be better spent in a rear gear change?
oldtexasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Re: What Benifits can I expect from a CAI with tuner on my 08?

I would save and do all that at once.But then again if it were me I would also do LTs and mid pipe along with that at the same time.

Gears are only gonna give you a seat of the pants feel......but it sure does feel nice.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

i can sell you a C&L racer cai
07gt. sct 93octane custom tune,bbk cold air intake,kooks LT headers,o/r x-pipe,borla stingers, ford racing 3.73 gears,19" tsw wheels,eibach sportline lowering springs, 12k hid headlights, clear turn signal lens, cdc upper and lower billet grille.
07stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I've heard you get pretty good gains with a CAI and a tuner. The S197's respond to more basic mods like CAI's/exhaust way better than the previous generation engines.

You might as well get the 3.73's or 4.10's for a better feel as said and since you'll already have the tuner, you can make the necessary adjustments.

It seems a CAI, exhaust and a tune are the first things people do with their S197 GT's...gains of up to 30hp can be seen with those things alone.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

CAI/Tune (a good tune not a mail order POS tune thats generic) bamachips is with americanmuscle.com so check them out.

Some see 25rwhp gain from cai/tune (a good cai and a good tune) like the C&L race or JLT cai
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
I would save and do all that at once.But then again if it were me I would also do LTs and mid pipe along with that at the same time.

Gears are only gonna give you a seat of the pants feel......but it sure does feel nice.
Opps my bad. I have already put in a set of Flowmaster Cat Backs with mid H. I considered that more of a sensory upgrade than a performance upgrade.
Still, what will a CAI and tuner do for me?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07stang View Post
i can sell you a C&L racer cai
Whats all included? Does this forum allow me to ask that and the other question? Or should we PM each other?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post
Opps my bad. I have already put in a set of Flowmaster Cat Backs with mid H. I considered that more of a sensory upgrade than a performance upgrade.
Still, what will a CAI and tuner do for me?
I guess what I mean, is as I hear, 5 to 25HP gain. Anything else such as a rise in red line limiter or increase in power band? That sort of thing? Also as I have only a few months of factory warrenty left and was planning on taking it in for a full going over, should I wait for the install and just gather the parts as I find them now?
Thanks for your thoughts and time.
Mike
Old 05-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

with a good CAI/Tune expect 20-30rwhp/tq there is no need to raise the rev limiter as peak power is made before the rev limit of the engine. The power band will also raise across the board due to the tune. You can easily remove the CAI and reload the stock tune if you want. Some say they can tell if the car has been tuned~ but I mean if it has the stock intake and is mostly stock I highly doubt they will check that.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Regular
Supporter

You are going to feel a huge improvement in throttle response and the car will start to pull a lot harder when you get into the 3k rpm range. Also if you get a Bama tune which is through American Muscle you will get free tunes for life,this is good for adding and extra mods down the line. Most people prefer the SCTX3 and you have the option to get different octane tunes. My suggestion would be to get a 91 torque and performance tune,then a 93 (if that grade is in your area) race tune. I have all tunes in 93 but I never use any tune but the 93 race tune. I have a friend who used his 91 torque tune from Bama for 2 yrs,then switched to a 91 race tune and he couldn't wait to tell everyone what a difference it made. Also his mods were the same as yours at the time he switched to the race tune.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up Re: What Benifits can I expect from a CAI with tuner on my 08?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
with a good CAI/Tune expect 20-30rwhp/tq there is no need to raise the rev limiter as peak power is made before the rev limit of the engine. The power band will also raise across the board due to the tune. You can easily remove the CAI and reload the stock tune if you want. Some say they can tell if the car has been tuned~ but I mean if it has the stock intake and is mostly stock I highly doubt they will check that.
Thank you very much. That is good information.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
You are going to feel a huge improvement in throttle response and the car will start to pull a lot harder when you get into the 3k rpm range. Also if you get a Bama tune which is through American Muscle you will get free tunes for life,this is good for adding and extra mods down the line. Most people prefer the SCTX3 and you have the option to get different octane tunes. My suggestion would be to get a 91 torque and performance tune,then a 93 (if that grade is in your area) race tune. I have all tunes in 93 but I never use any tune but the 93 race tune. I have a friend who used his 91 torque tune from Bama for 2 yrs,then switched to a 91 race tune and he couldn't wait to tell everyone what a difference it made. Also his mods were the same as yours at the time he switched to the race tune.
DDCM
Thank you also . I am feeling the need for speed You folks are great. I have done race boats for 20 some odd years but it was many years ago since I have tried to up grade a car. I will now start shopping for a used CAI, then buy a new tuner to go with it?
Gear and suspension change will follow in due and affordable time
Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

figure out who you want to tune your car ALWAYS check the tune on a dyno (ALWAYS) and adjust as needed if needed.

AmericanMuscle.com has bamachips writing their tunes and they do some of the best work for 05+ GT's, my friend has their tune on his 08 GT, it was a tad lean but just about spot on.

They use SCT I do believe you can buy it all in a package preloaded tunes and all, the tuner is just the tool not the result, its not like a different socket makes your spark plugs work better if installed with it.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post
DDCM
Thank you also . I am feeling the need for speed You folks are great. I have done race boats for 20 some odd years but it was many years ago since I have tried to up grade a car. I will now start shopping for a used CAI, then buy a new tuner to go with it?
Gear and suspension change will follow in due and affordable time

There are only a couple of CAI's for the S197 that don't require a retune but don't waste your time with that. If you have to buy used that's cool but get a decent one and then wait to install after you get the tuner. I would suggest getting a package deal new with a Bama tune but I'm not a fan of used parts.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

+1-on the "not a fan" of used parts, lol.. I actually installed the Anderson Motorsports CAI, with the upgraded MAF-and no tune. I was trying to "get as far as I could, with mods"-and NO tuner. My car runs pretty strong-and that's my .02, as well.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #16
Regular
Supporter

The tuner does wonders for throttle response though. The race tune is super touchy and fun.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
cai