Mustang Evolution Forum banner

no crossover on v6

17K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  tigercrazy718 
#1 ·
has anyone heard what a 05-09 v6 sounds like with no crossover pipe? i cant find any on youtube so if anyone has some personal experience that would be great. im asking bc with no cats i know that the 4.0 sounds ricey, so i feel like no crossover would make it move more towards that area of sound

#2 ·
it shouldn't really change the sound as its not needed on a 4.0 at all since its an even fire motor I do believe (but double check that) I put an H on my 3.8L v6 and it made no difference in sound.

#4 ·
what I mean by H vs no H is just the balancer pipe. Basically one pipe on each side all the way out to the back no connecting of pipes. The little connector balancer pipe is what I was talking about. The X pipe will make it more raspy by its design~ you may get a slightly deeper tone with an X vs no balancer pipe~ most after market kits are probably H pipes vs no balancer pipe.

#6 ·
well the balancer pipe is the pipe the goes from one side to the other in an H pipe its why they call it an H pipe, the connection between the two sides is the H part.

#8 ·
i say go o/r h. a v6 is a v6 so it wont vary that much from years. i definately wouldnt go x. ive heard straight pipes also sounds pretty good on your car, so that would just be with no crossover. they will all sound like crap in the upper rpm's, however my exhaust sounds really deep and 'gt like' in the lower portion. if u want i can show you how mine sounds in the upper rpm's so you can get an idea.

also, if you plan on going catted, you should probably just skip it. even with two hi-flow cats, it still wont make that much of a difference.

#12 ·
It does to me...if you can, listen to each one with the same exhaust setup. I'll take the sound of the ole pushrod over the SOHC...in v6 form anyways.

Though I will say the new DOHC 3.7 sounds pretty nice in stock form...probably won't be too shabby with some aftermarket stuff.

#14 ·
yea it was actually cheaper for me to sell my catback and start over when i did the long tubes and mid pipe. actually sold them to that fugly white mustang a few spots over. im assuming youre catback is welded and that it has a y conversion of some sorts. so it has one pipe connected to the y-pipe and then splits into two before the mufflers. if it is clamped on, it would probably be an easy fix. so im not sure exactly how its setup. in any rate, you would also have to get some new piping called flow tubes that go off the h-pipe to the mufflers and i believe those have to be welded to the muflers. they cost like $50 or so.

good luck in whatever you choose and id like to hear it once its done.

#15 ·
yea i think its clamped and its the set up u described
havent really looked into prices yet i think its way more down the line thing
getting rims this sumemr and then with any left over money im gonna get suspension set up for autox

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.