Break-In or Problem? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:28 PM   #1

Region: South Carolina
Break-In or Problem?

I bought a 06 GT on 9/30/06, as of today I have 600 miles on it. No hard driving, I've been treating my new baby very nice. When I start the engine in the morning or when the engine is cold, I get a short puff of white smoke out of the tailpipes. It isn't steam. When the engine is warm, this doesn't happen. Could this be a break-in issue that will go away or do I have a bigger problem that I should take it back to the dealer?

P.S. All fluid levels are normal, and there are no other symptons other than the puff of smoke.

Thanks!
06 Blue GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Break-In or Problem?

It might just be burning the new off, I'm not entirely sure, never owned a new car lol.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Next oil change mention it to the Dealer.It is probably nothing ,but ask them to check on all your fluid levels.If you are talking about plumes of white smoke ,and feel it is a worry for you(...it keeps you awake at night ...),book yourself an appointment sooner.If you leave it over there for a few hours(enough for the engine to cool down,then ...)they can start it up and see what your concern is.White smoke isn't normal,but let them be the judge.
xz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Blue GT View Post
I bought a 06 GT on 9/30/06, as of today I have 600 miles on it. No hard driving, I've been treating my new baby very nice. When I start the engine in the morning or when the engine is cold, I get a short puff of white smoke out of the tailpipes. It isn't steam. When the engine is warm, this doesn't happen. Could this be a break-in issue that will go away or do I have a bigger problem that I should take it back to the dealer?

P.S. All fluid levels are normal, and there are no other symptons other than the puff of smoke.

Thanks!
Have you ever taken it out and stomped on it. Like a nice open interstate and just let the motor unwind a bit. It is most likely nothing but to be on the safe side check your oil level. If it is dead on the full line it is probably nothing. If it is well below the full level then take it back to the dealer and let them take a look at it.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

are you positive its not a puff of steam? h2o = a byproduct of combustion.. + hot exhaust pipes in cold air when the cars' cooling off = condensation.. the different loads at startup could also create a little steam/smoke colors due to improperly or unburnt fuel - but if its just a puff its really nothing to worry about..

if it ever got really cold down in SC (20s?) I'd bet you'd see a lot more steam than you see now..

then again what do I know?

does it have an odd smell to it?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:13 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yes right now here in Greenville with the cold weather you will have condensation in the cats and mufflers. If is probably condensation if it has not been noticed before we started having these cold mornings.

Where in Greenville are you. Do you know about the Upstate Mustang Club.

There is a meeting at Carolina Fine Foods in Simpsonville on Main street this Saturday at 6:00pm
Old 10-17-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

on my 98 with 140,000 miles on it on a cool morning i get a little puff.. hell i think i have a vid of it when i did my exhaust.. does not happen in the summer just when it gets cool.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

More than likely the oil burning from the overhead cam its very common from what I'm hearing from Ford owners
Old 10-21-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
More than likely the oil burning from the overhead cam its very common from what I'm hearing from Ford owners

... only OHC 4.6s I know of burning oil are old town cars/ old crown vics and old grand marquis' (back to 92 with the 4.6 OHC) I've not seen any newer 4.6s burn any oil..
Old 10-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #10

Thanks for letting me know about the mustang club in Greenville. I stopped by Carolina Foods at 6 p.m. and saw about eight mustangs there, but everyone was inside. I wouldn't know who to ask in the restaraunt. Maybe next time I'll be able to link up with someone. By the way, I found out that there was a Simpsonville PD cop driving a unmarked silver mustang that was using radar right next to the restaraunt. Guess he thought he would blend in.
06 Blue GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Blue GT View Post
Thanks for letting me know about the mustang club in Greenville. I stopped by Carolina Foods at 6 p.m. and saw about eight mustangs there, but everyone was inside. I wouldn't know who to ask in the restaraunt. Maybe next time I'll be able to link up with someone. By the way, I found out that there was a Simpsonville PD cop driving a unmarked silver mustang that was using radar right next to the restaraunt. Guess he thought he would blend in.
When you go in the entrance just head to the first party room to the right before the buffet area. I was not there last night I had a Webelos scout leaders meeting. They are sometimes out there to keep people from getting crazy when they leave. There are several terminators in the group in the 500HP range that at time light it up when they leave. The persident of the club is Bob. he is the older tall silver haired man. Just go up to him and say Hi, Corey told me about the meeting. Then duck so you dont get ***** slapped MUHAAHHAHAHAHA

J/K he is a good friend

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT