Well Here I go for the full Montie:) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Well Here I go for the full Montie:)

I won a JLT series 2 CIA on an on-line auction, and now I am preparing to order a SCT-SF/X3 Custom tuner with a set of 4:10 FRPP gears (inc. a bearing kit and 3 quarts of Royal Purple gear oil) Jezz this is like a whole pay check!!
Anyone have a good discount code for Amercian Muscle? Looks like I know what I will be doing on my 4th July weekend
Thanks again for all the help, as it is what has led me so far to this expensive decision. LOL
oldtexasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Re: Well Here I go for the full Montie:)

1st off did you get the 93 or 91 race tune? With those 4.10's and the race tune you will see a huge difference. You are gonna love it.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
1st off did you get the 93 or 91 race tune? With those 4.10's and the race tune you will see a huge difference. You are gonna love it.
Seems most of the stations here in the DFW area have the 91 should I maybe get the 93 for race? Is there a big diffrence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

we used to have a discount code but no longer, some local clubs have them but ive not seen them in forever.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Cold Air Intake and a set of 4.10 gears will wake that Stang up !

JLT is a great cold air intake - I run that on my car, and I also use the X3 tuner.

Its gonna be fun driving after you install that.

2008 GT500 Coupe with a few mods here and there
gtcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have not yet pulled the trigger on the purchase. Question would a used SC3 tuner work? Seller says there are 4 locks left? I don't understand.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post
I have not yet pulled the trigger on the purchase. Question would a used SC3 tuner work? Seller says there are 4 locks left? I don't understand.
SCT implemented a new system in the X3's that prevents users from selling them on and on. After you unlock the tuner from your car (return it to stock), it uses one of the "lock credits". This way, they force you to buy a new tuner or send it off to them to get it unlocked so you can load your tune on your car. The X2 didn't have this feature.

Buying used is perfectly fine as long as the seller has returned their car to stock unlocking the tuner. If they haven't, then you can't use it until they do or you send it to sct to get it refreshed to original for like $150.

I bought my X2 used, still have it, works no different. So, as long as it has been unmarried from the sellers car, then you're good to go.

How much is the SCT being sold for?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

how much do the new tunes cost?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Depends on what kind you get. If you get a generic mail order tune, it can be as little as $75. If you go with remote custom tuning, it will run around $200 and require you to rent dyno time. A full on custom dyno tune is going to run you about $350-450 depending on the shop.

If you buy new from american muscle, you get the generic mail order type tunes free.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

so--3 tunes on a unlocked used tuner would cost 225.00?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

No, you would usually get 3 tunes for the $75. The prices listed above usually include up to 3 tunes...sorry I left that out.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I would go through americanmuscle.com, buy new, get bamachips tunes. They are 389 or so~ (what I paid for my SCT Xcal 3) but the tunes come with it for the same price (I think so at least, double check me on that)

I am not sure you can get bamachip tunes without purchasing a tuner from them~ anyone know about this?

I paid 100 bucks for 3 custom tunes. I data logged my car under normal driving conditions (easy to do read this: http://www.mustangevolution.com/articles/2009320/ ) then I sent the logs to the tuner he reviewed them all was good. I dynoed the car and sent the data logs and he tweeked the tune and I need to go one more time to finalize it. If you go through bamachips you wont really get much support data log wise (that I know of but they may do it) you probably wont need much adjustment if any though.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I would go through americanmuscle.com, buy new, get bamachips tunes. They are 389 or so~ (what I paid for my SCT Xcal 3) but the tunes come with it for the same price (I think so at least, double check me on that)

I am not sure you can get bamachip tunes without purchasing a tuner from them~ anyone know about this?
Yes, you can for $150. Bama Tune Files (If You're Not a Free Tunes for Life Member) at AmericanMuscle.com

However, there are better tuners out there like RWTD and Brooks Speed that offer 3 tunes for $75.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea, I have RWTD (well not technically... its Ed's tune (same im sure but business wise)) and so far service is great... just gotta get my butt back on the dyno to check it all again. Bamachips is really good for 05+ gt's though cant deny that (or least they used to be) but any good tuner is fine, better if in person though... but on a N/A GT I dont think its a HUGE deal as they can and will tweek the tune as needed to get it dialed in.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
yea, I have RWTD (well not technically... its Ed's tune (same im sure but business wise)) and so far service is great... just gotta get my butt back on the dyno to check it all again. Bamachips is really good for 05+ gt's though cant deny that (or least they used to be) but any good tuner is fine, better if in person though... but on a N/A GT I dont think its a HUGE deal as they can and will tweek the tune as needed to get it dialed in.
I agree, but, if I'm going to buy a tune, I'd get a RWTD or Brooks Speed tune before I paid double for the same thing. Brooks Speed is an ex SCT employee as I'm sure you know...

However, I guess one benefit of going with bama chips would be the free updates for life...so, if you make major changes down the road you could get an updated tune for free.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Wow thanks SO-- I buy a new tuner and lets say I need to sell it --then I would offer to set 3 custom tunes to the buyer with their info and sell it to them locked. If they want more then they have to un lock it.
Now I buy a un-locked tuner-I just need to go to whomever IE: RWTD and Brooks Speed and pay for their tunes? 75.00 or so? Have I got it right? Just a old dog trying to learn a new trick
Thanks again
Old 06-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Well, if you decided to sell your tuner, then you would need to set your car back to stock to unlock it. Without unlocking it, it will be hard to sell it.

Also, a tune for your car will not work for just anyone unless they have the same computer code that you do. The "strategy" used to build the tunes requires the computer code to build it.

You could, however, unlock the tuner, sell it, and the new owner could get their tunes and run with it.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Well, if you decided to sell your tuner, then you would need to set your car back to stock to unlock it. Without unlocking it, it will be hard to sell it.

Also, a tune for your car will not work for just anyone unless they have the same computer code that you do. The "strategy" used to build the tunes requires the computer code to build it.

You could, however, unlock the tuner, sell it, and the new owner could get their tunes and run with it.
Ahhh-I see Grasshopper with the new tuner and tunes for life I could not call and request a totaly new set of tune for another vec.(after restoring current to stock) for lets say a new ride I bought? Also I am going to assume With my stock GT with JLT CIA and Flowmaster 40s a off the shelf tune from Bama(that comes with it) rather than a custom tune from a RWTD or Brooks Speed would do me just as good?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

My guess is they would not let you do that. I would think the free tunes for life is strictly for the car you initially buy it for. However, that would be a question better suited for Bama Chips on their policies.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I realy do appreciate the info! BIG TIME! This forum is the best! Thanks. I will now order my NEW equipment from A.M. and go from there.
WHY NOT IT'S ONLY MONEY
Oh the pain the pain
Then the Joy the Joy
Old 06-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Be sure to click the link at the top of the page when you do....that way at least the site makes a little money as well for improvements.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I did and left that ifo on the purchase also. However I think they are having a problem. I had to put my order in twice before I got a confomation# then when I went to order my custom tunes it would not accept my conformation# so I have been calling for the last hour and just a busy signal. CLUSTER FRACK:{
Old 06-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

A locked vs unlocked tuner is simply a tuner that has loaded a tune onto a vehicle is locked. If it has not loaded a tune onto a vehicle is it unlocked. If you restore the factory tune (that it backs up) to the vehicle is unlocks the tuner.

As said at tune generally (due to computer code differences) wont work on another vehicle, and plus those tunes are sold to you. You technically shouldn't resell them or give them out to anyone else.

When they or if they email you tunes its quite easy to load them from your computer to the tuner if you go that route as well.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Well placed the order I just hope FRPP on the gears meens OEM and not Motive?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea not sure, but regardless if the install is done correctly you should be perfectly fine
Old 06-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a quote I got from the same question I made to A.M. I has relieved me to some extent and they were very good to reply.

Our Ford Racing gears are the sets made by Ford, not by Motive. I do not know for sure, but I believe that Ford phased out/discontinued all the Motive made gears in the past two years. If you have any other questions, please email back or call us at 8667271266. Thank you and have a great day!

Jim Hendry
Customer Support

AmericanMuscle

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT