I can't shift my 06 Mustang out of park without overriding it. What is wrong? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:13 PM   #1

Region: South Dakota
I can't shift my 06 Mustang out of park without overriding it. What is wrong?

I went to bring my son to school today and my car would not shift out of park!?! I remember reading in the manual that you can take that little cap off and reset it, but I did that and it would not work. I can hold that in and put the car into neutral and then drive it. I can drive it and then put it into park and then have to push that little button to get it out of park again. Can anyone tell me what would cause this. I made an appt with the Ford dealership for tomorrow but I would like to know what could be possibly wrong with it. I drove it this morning to bring my other son to school and it was fine, no problems. I also started and stopped it one other time before this happened. No problems then either. I really appreciate your help.
06GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: I can't shift my 06 Mustang out of park without overriding it. What is wrong?

Have someone check to see if your brake lights are coming on when you hit the brake pedal -- that's the most common cause with Fords.. the brake on/off switch (or brake pedal position switch) doesn't contact properly.. but if that's not working then your brake lights aren't coming on = dangerous to drive

Could be that switch -- that or your brake shift interlock itself lost power somehow/broke internally
Old 11-17-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: I can't shift my 06 Mustang out of park without overriding it. What is wrong?

i think Monte's right. that is a common thing on Hondas and Acuras as well. listen for a click from the shifter area when you press the brake in park. no click, no interlock. whether it is the switch or the interlock itself. but definitely check the brake lights.

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #4

Ok, the brake lights don't come on. I am having it brought to the dealership today. There is a clicking sound when I put it into park. I hope it is nothing serious, I don't know if I can go all weekend without driving my car!! Annie
Old 11-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

is the clicking from the shifter when it is already in park and you are pressing the brake?

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #6

No, i don't think so, it more clicks when I put it into park and start releasing the brake. Annie
Old 11-18-2006, 04:26 PM   #7

Thanks for the information, The Ford Dealership installed my remote start for my car and left a wire hanging and by pushing on the brake it pulled a wire loose and therefore, blew a fuse. They changed the wiring and replaced the fuse and it works fine. Thanks again for all your suggestions. Annie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT