cams and heads - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

cams and heads

im thinking about putting heads and cams in. im wondering if anyone else has put them in a gt and what there mpg is at right now. and also what type of gains i should see with adding heads and cams to lt headers cai and a good tune. thanks
b's stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Re: cams and heads

If you are wanting to mod your car I wouldn't worry about MPG as much.... one or the other dude... You will like the performance and sound for sure
Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by b's stang View Post
im thinking about putting heads and cams in. im wondering if anyone else has put them in a gt and what there mpg is at right now. and also what type of gains i should see with adding heads and cams to lt headers cai and a good tune. thanks
It really depends on how aggressive you go with the cams. Any in particular you're looking to go with? Is there a reason you don't wanna do a blower setup instead? Just curious.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

Check out comp cams. They are well known in the mustang world, and I heard their "Thumpr" cams are the best sounding(or so they say)..
Old 09-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just be careful when choosing mods to do and the order you do them in. A good tip is to plan out your intent for your car and what you want to end up with when the car is done. Ex. If you run out and buy a CAI but then add on a twin turbo or something you may have to buy an all new CAI or have one custom made to fit that application and you may have just wasted 200-300 bucks. Same thing would apply to cams, depending on the application you may change your car later on then require a different cam to get the most bang for your buck. A little planning might save you a few hundred bucks.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

im not going to super charge the car at all. what i should have asked is what cam would you all reccomend between comp cams nsr series and brenspeeds detroit rocker cam, and ford racings hot rod cams
Old 09-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
im not going to super charge the car at all. what i should have asked is what cam would you all reccomend between comp cams nsr series and brenspeeds detroit rocker cam, and ford racings hot rod cams
I've heard a lot of good about the frpp hot rod cams but i couldn't say from personal experience
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

Quote:
Research, research, research, and you can't go wrong.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I asked a guy what cam he had in his GT, it sounded very nice and he said a "thumper" cam but sound != performance~ plus you have drivability issues if the cam is to much.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with the research part. Cams are something you could spend days or weeks researching. The name brand alone wont cut it when it comes to cams. You have to know what type of valve lift height the cam gives off and this effects airflow in and out and thus your horsepower gains. In addition you have to know the specs of the engine so that you don't rush out and get a cam with a huge lift then have everything fail on you. My best advice is to ask the pro's if you don't know what you are getting into. Once you have narrowed it down to a few choices and you understand what is involved, go find another pro shop or two and pretend you know nothing and have them explain it to you so you can see if there is any difference in the information you have been fed. Cams are a good chunk of coin and they can either give you great output or barely change a thing.

Good luck with your research, please let me/us know what you find as I am in the process of building my new ride on paper first and purchasing parts this winter when the prices are low.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho

Get in touch with Delta Cam Shafts in Tacoma Wa. Have the info handy on your car and they will help you pick out a cam to best suit what you are wanting. I have used many of their cams and they have all been good and the guy's have all been on the mark or better. I am good at doing the calculation too as I did work for a speed shop.
racefan966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

saw this thread and though deja vu lol
not sure if u can see this thread but if you can check it out

Cam upgrade - MustangForums.com

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

i definitely like the Detroit rocker cams. no cam phaser or springs required.. i just dont know if i want to do internals or just get a super charger and call it a done deal. i love the cams sound but a super charger gives you ridiculous speed gains. what do you all think? oh and by the way thanks for all the help

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT