Ignition - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ignition

I was looking into getting ignition for my 06 GT. I've been looking at MSD and Accel but not sure what to get. Accel is about a 100 dollars cheaper and would like to go with that but was wondering how good Accel is vs MSD. I would like to save some money but if MSD is that much better I might go with it. What should I do? And how much hp does ignition usually give?

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
For ur car if ur wanting HP their will be little no gains. Ur throttle response may b a little better. Unless u have a power adder then u could make 10-15 HP. So if u wanted just to replace them I would go with ACCEL. And save a lil coin
Old 12-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks. What's the best way to improve the throttle response? Because I hate the lag that they come with. And also I have flowmaster axle backs but want to put an x pipe system in with high flow cats. What's the best system for the money?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23
Ok thanks. What's the best way to improve the throttle response? Because I hate the lag that they come with. And also I have flowmaster axle backs but want to put an x pipe system in with high flow cats. What's the best system for the money?
CAI with tune,throttlebody. Exhaust is hard so many out their and high flows will net u little gains with HP for what u have to pay for them. Money vs HP I mean. I would get a nice H-pipe no cats. More HP less money.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so I should leave the stock cats and just get a good h pipe? What h pipe do u recommend? And don't x pipes give more hp than h pipes?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 12-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

And I have a cai already I just wanted to wait to get a throttle body till I have more high flow exhaust so I see more gains with the throttle body since it will allow it to flow better.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 12-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok so I should leave the stock cats and just get a good h pipe? What h pipe do u recommend? And don't x pipes give more hp than h pipes?
Yes they do. but h-pipe sounds better deeper and HP is not that much off from a x-pipe
Old 12-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ok but I've heard the stock cats are really restrictive. High flow cats wouldn't make much of a difference?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 12-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The best way to improve the throttle is a tune. They are like that for a reason. Get a good tuner, like sct.

Mods: Kenne Bell 2.2H, Fore return system, SCT tuned, 26 spline input shaft, and DSS Pro-level axles.

http://www.facebook.com/LangsStangs
lxlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Ignition

alot of what sick04mustang says is right, but honestly a new throttle body is not worth the extra change, the cheapest way to get max horsepower is basically, CAI, tuner, and x pipe with high flow cats and yes the stock cats on mustang will restrict horsepower, in fact they restrict the most horsepower of all the parts of an exhaust system. In fact if you go with a cat-less exhaust yo may see a few more hp than an exhaust with high flow cats (called an off-road exhaust, normally intended for use on a track) but this is illegal in I think every state, and allows a lot of harmful toxins into the environment.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

btw if for stock your OEM ignition is perfectly fine for now until you start getting in to more serious mods, but hey its your car and your money so you can do whatever you want.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I would go with a catted x pipe cuz without cats it's illegal and I have to have the car smogged by this summer and I've also heard sometimes it runs better with the cats than without cuz sometimes no cats will cause the car not to run right.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 12-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

technically it should not affect how the car runs it just prevents emissions of toxic gas, etc into the atmosphere, i don't feel like getting into the chemistry of it but either way that doesn't matter b/c I agree that you should always go with cats.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ok cool. What mods besides for a tune and intake give the most hp for not too much money?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok cool. What mods besides for a tune and intake give the most hp for not too much money?
Exhaust!!

Mods: Kenne Bell 2.2H, Fore return system, SCT tuned, 26 spline input shaft, and DSS Pro-level axles.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nitrous!!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

A THROTTLE BODY u can have a CIA but its only gonna let so much air flow thru ur stock TB . Bigger = more air flow and better air flow. Also should see better response from tha better air flow.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23 View Post
I was looking into getting ignition for my 06 GT. I've been looking at MSD and Accel but not sure what to get. Accel is about a 100 dollars cheaper and would like to go with that but was wondering how good Accel is vs MSD. I would like to save some money but if MSD is that much better I might go with it. What should I do? And how much hp does ignition usually give?
The beginning mods you need to look into are the simple ones...
  • Exhaust
    Midpipes:
    • No Cats = More HP Less TQ
    • Cats = Less HP More TQ
    • X Pipe = More HP less TQ
    • H Pipe = Less HP More TQ
    *Of course your axle back kit is really going to depend on personal prefrence. Lastly, Long Tube Headers also yeild significant gains but can be very expensive for installation if you don't plan on doing the labor.
  • Cold Air Intakes/Ram Air Intakes
    -offer a slight improvement, but usually are necessary in the grand picture of things as it will continue to offer help across the chart with supporting mods. I'm not a 05-09 Educated guy therefore I'm not sure which one to recommend. Just do your research and find which setup is yeilding higher gains through the use of forums.
  • Throttle Body
    -Not really necessary until you have a decent assortment of mods as you will see minimal gains from this without mods
  • Nitrous
    --You can make power from this set up...but once again, What direction are you looking to go?
  • Tunes
    --As long as you go with a full Dyno tune with an SCT or Predator then you will probably see the best bang out of your buck with this. Tuners can adjust a wide range of settings to help produce the best numbers for your car. Usually should start with new Plugs, CAI, Exhaust for a good tune.
  • Ignitions
    -As alrady stated. You do not need an ingnition. You actually have Coil Packs and well the factory Coil Packs are pretty well designed. Only on high power boosted/sprayed applications are people really yeilding gains where it is a resonable options for Power per $$
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend

The beginning mods you need to look into are the simple ones...

[*]Exhaust
Midpipes: [*]No Cats = More HP Less TQ[*]Cats = Less HP More TQ[*]X Pipe = More HP less TQ[*]H Pipe = Less HP More TQ

*Of course your axle back kit is really going to depend on personal prefrence. Lastly, Long Tube Headers also yeild significant gains but can be very expensive for installation if you don't plan on doing the labor.
[*]Cold Air Intakes/Ram Air Intakes
-offer a slight improvement, but usually are necessary in the grand picture of things as it will continue to offer help across the chart with supporting mods. I'm not a 05-09 Educated guy therefore I'm not sure which one to recommend. Just do your research and find which setup is yeilding higher gains through the use of forums.
[*]Throttle Body
-Not really necessary until you have a decent assortment of mods as you will see minimal gains from this without mods
[*]Nitrous
--You can make power from this set up...but once again, What direction are you looking to go?
[*]Tunes
--As long as you go with a full Dyno tune with an SCT or Predator then you will probably see the best bang out of your buck with this. Tuners can adjust a wide range of settings to help produce the best numbers for your car. Usually should start with new Plugs, CAI, Exhaust for a good tune.
[*]Ignitions
-As alrady stated. You do not need an ingnition. You actually have Coil Packs and well the factory Coil Packs are pretty well designed. Only on high power boosted/sprayed applications are people really yeilding gains where it is a resonable options for Power per $$
Nicely done.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

What exhaust is the best and will give the most hp gains for the money? Because I have flowmaster axle backs already.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 12-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What exhaust is the best and will give the most hp gains for the money? Because I have flowmaster axle backs already.
net gains b/w axle back kits are going to be negligible. It usually boils down to personal preference as 2 or 3 hp really doesn't change much.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Ya but I can do a good mid pipe with high flow cats

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 12-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I would keep ur flowmasters as u already have them. And get ur hi-flow cats as u want.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Ok

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 12-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya but I can do a good mid pipe with high flow cats
That's a good idea. If you already have an axle back then you have no reason to change based on performance ideas.

I do need to point out that this is in almost all cases. There have been , although very rare, cases where some exhaust systems have shown to be more restictive when compared to other sets with differences of 5-10hp, but most of the time this was in a heavily modded vehicle where small differences make huge effects.

Unless you find another Sound profile that you rather then you will more than likely be satisfied in the performance realm of exhaust additions.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good. Is the pypes catted x pipe good for the money?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 AM   #27
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Wow .... First mod should be gears 3.73 minimum and get the gear tuner combo from American muscle. Don't waste your money in a cai just pull off the silencer and it's a free cai. Then your exhaust, buy an off road from the cats back and save your stock exhaust to bolt back on on sniffer day. A throttle body will help throttle responce but no real horsepower. X pipes free up a couple extra horses but sound like crap. H sounds like muscle. I run a 100 and 125 zex shot and love it..... I think that covers it.... I run 12.5s on my first track run ever last summer with street tires 125 shot my hillbilly cai and stock gears.... I am hoping to get into 11s with drag radials and a good dyno tune with 3.90 gears
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Wow .... First mod should be gears 3.73 minimum and get the gear tuner combo from American muscle. Don't waste your money in a cai just pull off the silencer and it's a free cai. Then your exhaust, buy an off road from the cats back and save your stock exhaust to bolt back on on sniffer day. A throttle body will help throttle responce but no real horsepower. X pipes free up a couple extra horses but sound like crap. H sounds like muscle. I run a 100 and 125 zex shot and love it..... I think that covers it.... I run 12.5s on my first track run ever last summer with street tires 125 shot my hillbilly cai and stock gears.... I am hoping to get into 11s with drag radials and a good dyno tune with 3.90 gears
I don't recommend just removing the silencer. This causes air tubulence in the restrictive stock intake tubing - this has caused random issues with different vehicles. Some have even seen CELs.

If you do decided to use an Offroad X pipe you will need to also purchase MIL elminators or be sure to use an Handheld tuner to turn off the Codes for the check engine light.

As far as comparison b/w X and H pipes it all boils down to a matter of Opinion. Most late model Mustangs IMO definettely sound better with an X over and H as long as you mate the midpipe with a decent cat back. YouTube is the best resource for this area as you can listen to plenty of different combinations before making a purchase.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #29
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Really. I never heard of the turbulence part. Mine hasn't gone off yet mind you I will be waiting for it now. I don't understand how it could disrupt the air charge when in essence it's the same as an in fender cai....I will have to google it. That has me interested
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Now i found a davis unified ignition screamin demon coils item# 31738 on summit racing and was wondering if anyone has tried this... I have an 08 v6 sts turbocharged mustang with 3.73 gears and t-lok bbk headers throttle body and spacer with ngk iridium plugs and about to upgrade the wires as well
Mustangguy0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangguy0202 View Post
Now i found a davis unified ignition screamin demon coils item# 31738 on summit racing and was wondering if anyone has tried this... I have an 08 v6 sts turbocharged mustang with 3.73 gears and t-lok bbk headers throttle body and spacer with ngk iridium plugs and about to upgrade the wires as well
Just wanted to let u know that u can get these off American muscle for cheaper, b/c summit racing charges you a "handling fee" of like $9. heres the link

2005-2010 Mustang Ignition Parts at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by junoS197Bl08 View Post
Just wanted to let u know that u can get these off American muscle for cheaper, b/c summit racing charges you a "handling fee" of like $9. heres the link

2005-2010 Mustang Ignition Parts at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Ok cool thanks
Mustangguy0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangguy0202 View Post
Ok cool thanks
no problem

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT