Tires Tires!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 65
Tires Tires!!!

What kind of tires you guys running? Any input will be great!!! I'm putting down just about 500 to the wheels. I'm looking for a great tire for street n strip
Nathan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Tires Tires!!!

toyo has a DR that I hear a lot of people seem to like, I would never recommend a DR for street duty, to many cars wreck due to them in the rain. If it wont be driven in the rain them they will be ok.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
toyo has a DR that I hear a lot of people seem to like, I would never recommend a DR for street duty, to many cars wreck due to them in the rain. If it wont be driven in the rain them they will be ok.
How do they compare to a bf DR or a Mickey DR? What are you running on your car? And how do you like them? I have Goodyear f1 on now and they can't hold the power! Thanks
Nathan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: Tires Tires!!!

How about the Nittos? They make a nice looking tire. I believe its the 555r drag radial tire
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Tires Tires!!!

I have mickey thompson ET Street Radials on the car right now. I have heard from local people pushing over 600 to the wheels that the Nitto NT05/R tires hold really well. Of course, neither of these tires are good in the rain. However, if you want something to hold 500+ rwhp, it probably won't be very rain friendly.

The basic Nitto NT05's are supposedly pretty good as well. They are stickier than the standard Nitto 555's but not at good as the R compounds.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom
I have mickey thompson ET Street Radials on the car right now. I have heard from local people pushing over 600 to the wheels that the Nitto NT05/R tires hold really well. Of course, neither of these tires are good in the rain. However, if you want something to hold 500+ rwhp, it probably won't be very rain friendly.

The basic Nitto NT05's are supposedly pretty good as well. They are stickier than the standard Nitto 555's but not at good as the R compounds.
Do you know how well the nitto nt05's are in the rain? I drive my car all spring n summer so I'll see some rain;( I guess I'll drive like my wife.lol
Nathan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771
How about the Nittos? They make a nice looking tire. I believe its the 555r drag radial tire
Are the 555rs alot better than the 555? I had the 555 on my fox and they sucked so I put on bf dragradials which were amazing but didn't last long at all. Thanks for any imput
Nathan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Tires Tires!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan69 View Post
Do you know how well the nitto nt05's are in the rain? I drive my car all spring n summer so I'll see some rain;( I guess I'll drive like my wife.lol
The NT05's are good in the rain. I have them on the front of my car now and no issues with water at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan69 View Post
Are the 555rs alot better than the 555? I had the 555 on my fox and they sucked so I put on bf dragradials which were amazing but didn't last long at all. Thanks for any imput
555r's will not hold 500 hp. Had them when I was at that level...they went up in smoke with ease. They are "better" that the base 555's, but still won't hold the power. You're better off with the new NT05's from what I've read from other people in the 500ish range.




The problem is, you aren't going to be able to have your cake and eat it too. You are going to have to sacrifice either some traction or some wet weather handling. At 500 hp...you're going to roast pretty much all street tires in first gear...probably second as well. The tires that will grip aren't going to be good in the rain...or will be used up real quick in a daily driver. Soft drag radials will wear down real fast in a daily driver car.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom

The NT05's are good in the rain. I have them on the front of my car now and no issues with water at all.

555r's will not hold 500 hp. Had them when I was at that level...they went up in smoke with ease. They are "better" that the base 555's, but still won't hold the power. You're better off with the new NT05's from what I've read from other people in the 500ish range.

The problem is, you aren't going to be able to have your cake and eat it too. You are going to have to sacrifice either some traction or some wet weather handling. At 500 hp...you're going to roast pretty much all street tires in first gear...probably second as well. The tires that will grip aren't going to be good in the rain...or will be used up real quick in a daily driver. Soft drag radials will wear down real fast in a daily driver car.
If I drive carefully n slowly in the rain can I make it work? Thanks for all your input bro
Nathan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Tires Tires!!!

yea basically if you want a tire that will hold high hp/tq DO NOT DRIVE IT IN THE RAIN on them EVER its just not worth the risk.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Tires Tires!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan69 View Post
If I drive carefully n slowly in the rain can I make it work? Thanks for all your input bro
In reality, yes, you can. It's not recommended, but it can be done. I am currently daily driving my cobra on mickey's until I get the swap done in my fox and it rains here frequently. I take it super easy always driving one gear higher than is called for to keep the torque down. However, standing water is not your friend and you have to very aware of it or else you will find the *** end passing you up pretty quick.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom

In reality, yes, you can. It's not recommended, but it can be done. I am currently daily driving my cobra on mickey's until I get the swap done in my fox and it rains here frequently. I take it super easy always driving one gear higher than is called for to keep the torque down. However, standing water is not your friend and you have to very aware of it or else you will find the *** end passing you up pretty quick.
What are you swapping in your fox? How good do the mickeys hook up?
Nathan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Tires Tires!!!

Mickeys hook with my 600 rwhp. I can spin them if I rev up and dump the clutch hard...but if I get on it without trying to break the rear loose, they flat out hook.

I am putting a stock 5.0 in the fox....it's going from a 4 cyl auto to a 5.0 5 speed. I have the motor and trans just need a few small parts to wrap it up.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom
Mickeys hook with my 600 rwhp. I can spin them if I rev up and dump the clutch hard...but if I get on it without trying to break the rear loose, they flat out hook.

I am putting a stock 5.0 in the fox....it's going from a 4 cyl auto to a 5.0 5 speed. I have the motor and trans just need a few small parts to wrap it up.
Nice!! I have lots of spare parts.. I made my fox a full blown race car! I'm running in ez street here in Canada!! Thanks I think I'm going to run some mickeys
Nathan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Tires Tires!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan69 View Post
Nice!! I have lots of spare parts.. I made my fox a full blown race car! I'm running in ez street here in Canada!! Thanks I think I'm going to run some mickeys
Do you have an A9L computer by chance? lol
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
stampde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manalapan
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,880
Re: Tires Tires!!!

I've run the Nitto drag radial on the street with no probs ,they actually have a good tread ,just don't do a 100mph !!!! and they're not bad on track
__________________
2011 GT Auto
stampde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom

Do you have an A9L computer by chance? lol
I'll check my garage this weekend and I'll let you know most likely I do
Nathan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
I've run the Nitto drag radial on the street with no probs ,they actually have a good tread ,just don't do a 100mph !!!! and they're not bad on track
What 60ft were you getting?
Nathan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tires :) Fishers Stang Mustang Wheels & Tires 28 01-22-2007 06:57 PM
Tires BigL34461 Mustang Wheels & Tires 3 04-02-2006 05:20 PM
got the rims ordered---tires---tires--tires flysure1 Mustang Wheels & Tires 4 02-15-2006 11:59 AM
My new tires sonic04edge Pictures and Videos 5 03-13-2005 02:03 PM
cobras/tires for welds/tires, $$$? tire The Bar 2 02-22-2004 12:11 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:20 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.