Tires Tires!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Tires Tires!!!

What kind of tires you guys running? Any input will be great!!! I'm putting down just about 500 to the wheels. I'm looking for a great tire for street n strip
Nathan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Tires Tires!!!

toyo has a DR that I hear a lot of people seem to like, I would never recommend a DR for street duty, to many cars wreck due to them in the rain. If it wont be driven in the rain them they will be ok.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
toyo has a DR that I hear a lot of people seem to like, I would never recommend a DR for street duty, to many cars wreck due to them in the rain. If it wont be driven in the rain them they will be ok.
How do they compare to a bf DR or a Mickey DR? What are you running on your car? And how do you like them? I have Goodyear f1 on now and they can't hold the power! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

How about the Nittos? They make a nice looking tire. I believe its the 555r drag radial tire
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I have mickey thompson ET Street Radials on the car right now. I have heard from local people pushing over 600 to the wheels that the Nitto NT05/R tires hold really well. Of course, neither of these tires are good in the rain. However, if you want something to hold 500+ rwhp, it probably won't be very rain friendly.

The basic Nitto NT05's are supposedly pretty good as well. They are stickier than the standard Nitto 555's but not at good as the R compounds.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom
I have mickey thompson ET Street Radials on the car right now. I have heard from local people pushing over 600 to the wheels that the Nitto NT05/R tires hold really well. Of course, neither of these tires are good in the rain. However, if you want something to hold 500+ rwhp, it probably won't be very rain friendly.

The basic Nitto NT05's are supposedly pretty good as well. They are stickier than the standard Nitto 555's but not at good as the R compounds.
Do you know how well the nitto nt05's are in the rain? I drive my car all spring n summer so I'll see some rain;( I guess I'll drive like my wife.lol
Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771
How about the Nittos? They make a nice looking tire. I believe its the 555r drag radial tire
Are the 555rs alot better than the 555? I had the 555 on my fox and they sucked so I put on bf dragradials which were amazing but didn't last long at all. Thanks for any imput
Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan69 View Post
Do you know how well the nitto nt05's are in the rain? I drive my car all spring n summer so I'll see some rain;( I guess I'll drive like my wife.lol
The NT05's are good in the rain. I have them on the front of my car now and no issues with water at all.

Quote:
Are the 555rs alot better than the 555? I had the 555 on my fox and they sucked so I put on bf dragradials which were amazing but didn't last long at all. Thanks for any imput
555r's will not hold 500 hp. Had them when I was at that level...they went up in smoke with ease. They are "better" that the base 555's, but still won't hold the power. You're better off with the new NT05's from what I've read from other people in the 500ish range.

The problem is, you aren't going to be able to have your cake and eat it too. You are going to have to sacrifice either some traction or some wet weather handling. At 500 hp...you're going to roast pretty much all street tires in first gear...probably second as well. The tires that will grip aren't going to be good in the rain...or will be used up real quick in a daily driver. Soft drag radials will wear down real fast in a daily driver car.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The NT05's are good in the rain. I have them on the front of my car now and no issues with water at all.

555r's will not hold 500 hp. Had them when I was at that level...they went up in smoke with ease. They are "better" that the base 555's, but still won't hold the power. You're better off with the new NT05's from what I've read from other people in the 500ish range.

The problem is, you aren't going to be able to have your cake and eat it too. You are going to have to sacrifice either some traction or some wet weather handling. At 500 hp...you're going to roast pretty much all street tires in first gear...probably second as well. The tires that will grip aren't going to be good in the rain...or will be used up real quick in a daily driver. Soft drag radials will wear down real fast in a daily driver car.
If I drive carefully n slowly in the rain can I make it work? Thanks for all your input bro
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea basically if you want a tire that will hold high hp/tq DO NOT DRIVE IT IN THE RAIN on them EVER its just not worth the risk.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
If I drive carefully n slowly in the rain can I make it work? Thanks for all your input bro
In reality, yes, you can. It's not recommended, but it can be done. I am currently daily driving my cobra on mickey's until I get the swap done in my fox and it rains here frequently. I take it super easy always driving one gear higher than is called for to keep the torque down. However, standing water is not your friend and you have to very aware of it or else you will find the *** end passing you up pretty quick.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

In reality, yes, you can. It's not recommended, but it can be done. I am currently daily driving my cobra on mickey's until I get the swap done in my fox and it rains here frequently. I take it super easy always driving one gear higher than is called for to keep the torque down. However, standing water is not your friend and you have to very aware of it or else you will find the *** end passing you up pretty quick.
What are you swapping in your fox? How good do the mickeys hook up?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Mickeys hook with my 600 rwhp. I can spin them if I rev up and dump the clutch hard...but if I get on it without trying to break the rear loose, they flat out hook.

I am putting a stock 5.0 in the fox....it's going from a 4 cyl auto to a 5.0 5 speed. I have the motor and trans just need a few small parts to wrap it up.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mickeys hook with my 600 rwhp. I can spin them if I rev up and dump the clutch hard...but if I get on it without trying to break the rear loose, they flat out hook.

I am putting a stock 5.0 in the fox....it's going from a 4 cyl auto to a 5.0 5 speed. I have the motor and trans just need a few small parts to wrap it up.
Nice!! I have lots of spare parts.. I made my fox a full blown race car! I'm running in ez street here in Canada!! Thanks I think I'm going to run some mickeys
Old 01-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Nice!! I have lots of spare parts.. I made my fox a full blown race car! I'm running in ez street here in Canada!! Thanks I think I'm going to run some mickeys
Do you have an A9L computer by chance? lol
Old 01-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

I've run the Nitto drag radial on the street with no probs ,they actually have a good tread ,just don't do a 100mph !!!! and they're not bad on track
Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do you have an A9L computer by chance? lol
I'll check my garage this weekend and I'll let you know most likely I do
Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
I've run the Nitto drag radial on the street with no probs ,they actually have a good tread ,just don't do a 100mph !!!! and they're not bad on track
What 60ft were you getting?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT