Catback - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Catback

I was wondering is the pypes mid muffler system a good catback? A lot of people say they like it.

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack
Re: Catback

From What I have dealt with, the pypes systems are ok. they don't have the rumble like the bassini or Magnaflow. But of course this is my opinion.....

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. What else do you guys think?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

by mid muffler do you mean mid pipe? or are you talking actual cat backs (from the mid pipe back)?

I've been looking at what to get and (even though it is the still over a computer) I love the way the Magnaflow Magnapac catback sound and the Magnaflow Tru X x-pipe sound. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

sound and what not is all very opinionated. My suggested is good quality that wont rust on you for starters to eliminate some of the cheaper brands.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I mean from the h pipe back. Not from the actual cats back. But spec its stainless steel so won't it not rust out?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23
I mean from the h pipe back. Not from the actual cats back. But spec its stainless steel so won't it not rust out?
Anyone else like the pypes mid muffler system or have any experience with it?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I love mine. I had no fitment issues whatsoever until I put the h pipe on. Sound was better than anything I have heard on an s197 IMO. A buddy has just the m80's welded in with the o/r x and it sounds great too. A bit raspy for me but still sounds great.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern stang
I love mine. I had no fitment issues whatsoever until I put the h pipe on. Sound was better than anything I have heard on an s197 IMO. A buddy has just the m80's welded in with the o/r x and it sounds great too. A bit raspy for me but still sounds great.
Ya I'm gunna do just the catback first and then either a catted x or a catted h pipe but I already have the stock h pipe so I was thinking of doing a catted x pipe. But do you think it will sound good with just the catback first?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-13-2011, 05:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23 View Post
Ya I'm gunna do just the catback first and then either a catted x or a catted h pipe but I already have the stock h pipe so I was thinking of doing a catted x pipe. But do you think it will sound good with just the catback first?
I recently got schooled on mid pipes/catbacks (93CobraGuy ) lol.
Whether you want cats or not is up to you because you can get O2 sensor adapters that will turn off your check engine light (or the right person tuning it). Once you get an X-pipe (which I suggest from a what I've seen and heard from around gives you more power than the h...but its personal opinion again, most everything is in the end lol) But the cat back alone want do hardly any for power alone. But if you are just wanting to go for sound its up to you in the end. I've heard the Borla and Mangaflow Magnapack exhaust and those both sound amazing
Old 02-13-2011, 05:41 AM   #11

Region: Tennessee

I have a 2010 GT with PYPES Long tube geaders and PYPES Xpipe with the stock mufflers and the car picked up three tenths in the eighth. Sounds great to me and I got some good power out of it. The first time I ran the car in Florida with very low altitude above sea level on street tires and ran a nine flat launching of iddle (stock). The second time I ran the car was in fort campbell which is much higher altitude than Florida and took three tenths of my time still launching of iddle on street tires (after installing x pipe and headers).
ricksgt2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
What I have learned; long tube headers without a doubt are the best bang for the buck for added power.

X Vs H pipe; X has a raspy sound and will make slightly more "peak" horse power. H has the classic muscle car sound and makes more bottom-mid horse power.

Make sure you stay at 2 1/2". The only reason to go to 3" is if you have a severely built motor with HP above 800. With that said use 1 5/8 headers and not 1 3/4 for the same reason.

After much, much research I ordered Kooks Stainless 1 5/8 coated headers and 2 1/2 H pipe. In my opinion kooks is the king of headers and everyone else is just trying to catch up. Hell, Pypes is just a knock off of kooks because they know Kooks has done it right and figured they would cash in on all Kooks research. I am using Magnaflow 2 1/2 cat back setup and will only use them. I for one like the mean classic muscle car sound and not the rice burner type rasp and would rather have more power down low than at high rpm. To each their own, I'm just stating my choice.
Jmeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeo View Post
What I have learned; long tube headers without a doubt are the best bang for the buck for added power.

X Vs H pipe; X has a raspy sound and will make slightly more "peak" horse power. H has the classic muscle car sound and makes more bottom-mid horse power.

Make sure you stay at 2 1/2". The only reason to go to 3" is if you have a severely built motor with HP above 800. With that said use 1 5/8 headers and not 1 3/4 for the same reason.

After much, much research I ordered Kooks Stainless 1 5/8 coated headers and 2 1/2 H pipe. In my opinion kooks is the king of headers and everyone else is just trying to catch up. Hell, Pypes is just a knock off of kooks because they know Kooks has done it right and figured they would cash in on all Kooks research. I am using Magnaflow 2 1/2 cat back setup and will only use them. I for one like the mean classic muscle car sound and not the rice burner type rasp and would rather have more power down low than at high rpm. To each their own, I'm just stating my choice.
Yeah for the most part any and everything you do is all about your personal opinion unless you plan on making it a dedicated track car..then you gotta worry about all the specifics. I've heard long tube headers were better for performance from a few sources but this guy Will Laney and his dad and brothers build racing engines for a living and he suggested I use shorty's for my car. Said he can get just as much horse power out of shorty headers as he can with longtubes and its a lot easier to drop the tranny out for future work. Everyone has diff advice for diff uses. Just do what I do and ask til everyone tells you to shut up and research until you fall asleep on your keyboard lol. No one wants to buy the same part twice lol
Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_stang

Yeah for the most part any and everything you do is all about your personal opinion unless you plan on making it a dedicated track car..then you gotta worry about all the specifics. I've heard long tube headers were better for performance from a few sources but this guy Will Laney and his dad and brothers build racing engines for a living and he suggested I use shorty's for my car. Said he can get just as much horse power out of shorty headers as he can with longtubes and its a lot easier to drop the tranny out for future work. Everyone has diff advice for diff uses. Just do what I do and ask til everyone tells you to shut up and research until you fall asleep on your keyboard lol. No one wants to buy the same part twice lol
True its a lot of questions and research. You have a point on tranny work. I forgot to mention that Kooks IS a long tube header that is designed to allow transmission work to be done without removing the headers. Another reason in my opinion to get Kooks.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True its a lot of questions and research. You have a point on tranny work. I forgot to mention that Kooks IS a long tube header that is designed to allow transmission work to be done without removing the headers. Another reason in my opinion to get Kooks.
Yeah that would be a good investment...a lot depends on your budget as well. **** with enough money you can make as much rwhp as you want lol.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah that would be a good investment...a lot depends on your budget as well. **** with enough money you can make as much rwhp as you want lol.
True that's why we have hundreds of choices. One for every personality and every wallet. It makes for an awesome car show every weekend.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True that's why we have hundreds of choices. One for every personality and every wallet. It makes for an awesome car show every weekend.
Yeah def!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I loved the sound of just the mid muffler set up before the h. It just got even more Badass with the H. I like the deeper tone of the H than the X. But different people have different tastes.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I loved the sound of just the mid muffler set up before the h. It just got even more Badass with the H. I like the deeper tone of the H than the X. But different people have different tastes.
Can't wait to hear mine. Had fitment problems with my BBK ceramic coated long tube headers and X pipe. Sent them back to BBK and now awaiting my Kooks long tubes and H pipe.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Good choice. Excellent quality!! I'll be going with Mac when I do my headers the kooks are a wee bit pricy for me.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good choice. Excellent quality!! I'll be going with Mac when I do my headers the kooks are a wee bit pricy for me.
I agree on the pricey but I'm also a firm believer that you get what you pay for
Old 02-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeo

I agree on the pricey but I'm also a firm believer that you get what you pay for
Ya I believe that too. I want the kooks headers with either the catted x or catted h pipe. But it is pretty expensive so I've been debating on saving my money and going with kooks or getting Mac headers that are a cheaper but still good quality.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-15-2011, 04:04 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I hear ya. I thought the same thing and ended up getting a BBK setup. It didn't work out so I did some homework and found that Kooks has the absolute best build quality and makes serious gains in power compared to BBK. I like to save a little money to but now I am doing my headers AGAIN. I would have rather had done the job once believe me.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:09 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
X-pipe gives you a few top end hp more than an h however an h gives you I little more on the bottom end(torque) and sounds better. And most driving is dine in the lower rpm range so unless your racing an h-pipe is actually better for your day to day driving
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:12 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:

I must disagree. Shorties on a new edge aren't any better than the stock manifolds. Long tubes or don't bother. I know this one from experience
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 AM   #26
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
I must disagree. Shorties on a new edge aren't any better than the stock manifolds. Long tubes or don't bother. I know this one from experience
+1
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett
X-pipe gives you a few top end hp more than an h however an h gives you I little more on the bottom end(torque) and sounds better. And most driving is dine in the lower rpm range so unless your racing an h-pipe is actually better for your day to day driving
Ya I'll probably go with a catted h. Does kooks make a catted h pipe?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ya I'll probably go with a catted h. Does kooks make a catted h pipe?
Yes they do
Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes they do
Ya do u know where I can get it cuz I didn't see the h pipe on American muscle

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ya do u know where I can get it cuz I didn't see the h pipe on American muscle
I got all my Kooks from www.byunspeed.com The guy who runs this site is the nicest around and he has better prices than anyone!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I got all my Kooks from www.byunspeed.com The guy who runs this site is the nicest around and he has better prices than anyone!
Ok thanks I'll check it out.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT