Automatic Tranny Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Automatic Tranny Problem

About a few months ago my tranny was slipping from 2nd to 3rd so i had it serviced and also put a trans go shift kit in it. I didnt feel much of a difference in the shifting after i put the shift kit in. So about a month ago i got an sct tuner and a 91 race tune and after this was done the shifting was a lot better. It didnt slip like it did before and it shouldnt with the shift kit and the tune. The shifting points were a lot better and noticeable. But its always made a clunking noise when you come to a stop and it does it more if you stop relatively fast. The clunking noise is noticeable and sometimes will jerk the car a little bit when i come to a stop. The clunking tends to happen more after the tranny has warmed up and the car has been driven for a while. Also when i had the tranny serviced a few months ago the fluid was dark and the tranny only has 40,000 miles on it. I think the tranny is starting to go out and will probably have to be rebuilt relatively soon. Does anyone have an idea why its doing this? Please let me know.
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Re: Automatic Tranny Problem

Could be alot of things. One thing I would invest in is a large tranny cooler the bigger the better, also disconnect the tranny lines from the radiator. The cooler the tranny runs the longer its going to last.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman
Could be alot of things. One thing I would invest in is a large tranny cooler the bigger the better, also disconnect the tranny lines from the radiator. The cooler the tranny runs the longer its going to last.
Ya but I want to get this clunking noise fixed first. When I eventually have it rebuilt which is probably going to happen I'll probably throw in a better tranny cooler. How much is a bigger tranny cooler?

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Road Trip!

$50-$60 or try to find a newer super duty truck with the tow package in the junk yard and get the cooler off of it.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
$50-$60 or try to find a newer super duty truck with the tow package in the junk yard and get the cooler off of it.
Ya I'll do that. I just don't know what to do about the problem right now.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
Road Trip!

I don't think you'll get rid of the clunking until its rebuilt, but if its still drivable then I would try to prolong the tranny as much as possible by keeping it cool and not trying to race or anything like that.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't think you'll get rid of the clunking until its rebuilt, but if its still drivable then I would try to prolong the tranny as much as possible by keeping it cool and not trying to race or anything like that.
Ya I mean I guess it wouldn't hurt to put a cooler in it. Cuz when I rebuild it I'll already have it.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

an 8 pass cooler should run 35-40 bucks..ive got 2. the clunking noise comes from the paper set in the shift kit....it changes the pressure flow of the check valves in the valve body which in turn chanes the actuation of the servos (located above the valve body).

dark tranny fluid indicates a heat issue and usualy heavy clutch material in which helps make the dark color.

at the end of the day, like straub said, your gonna need a rebuild.

when? who knows... however, hard upshifts and hard down shifts is par for the course with a shift kit. the clunking should decrease a bit with a fresh clutch set, bit not alot.

low line pressure makes a tranny shift smooth and soft... high line pressure like in a shift kit makes shifting hard and pronounced...even in downshifting...

i have a racing aod...and it clunks when down shifting..and can be an adventure on wet pavement when down shifting.

you can run an external 8 pass cooler in line with your radiator cooler, and this should keep your trans cool even in hot summer months..it does mine.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
an 8 pass cooler should run 35-40 bucks..ive got 2. the clunking noise comes from the paper set in the shift kit....it changes the pressure flow of the check valves in the valve body which in turn chanes the actuation of the servos (located above the valve body).

dark tranny fluid indicates a heat issue and usualy heavy clutch material in which helps make the dark color.

at the end of the day, like straub said, your gonna need a rebuild.

when? who knows... however, hard upshifts and hard down shifts is par for the course with a shift kit. the clunking should decrease a bit with a fresh clutch set, bit not alot.

low line pressure makes a tranny shift smooth and soft... high line pressure like in a shift kit makes shifting hard and pronounced...even in downshifting...

i have a racing aod...and it clunks when down shifting..and can be an adventure on wet pavement when down shifting.

you can run an external 8 pass cooler in line with your radiator cooler, and this should keep your trans cool even in hot summer months..it does mine.
Ya I get what your saying but it actually clunked before the shift kit. And I thought the shift kit might help this but didn't. It seems like it's progressively getting worse. And when I had the shift kit put in the fluid was dark after only 8000 miles when I previously had the tranny serviced. And they said my clutches are starting to go bad or there's something internally that is wearing down which is why the fluid went dark so fast. So the clunking must be something internally that is going bad.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #10
Titus Wadicus
Regular

you could have a clog in the valve body...making it run hot. you are definatley needing a rebuild though.

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
you could have a clog in the valve body...making it run hot. you are definatley needing a rebuild though.
Ya idk if it's because it's running hot because it does it when the tranny is cold too. But ya a rebuild I'm sure will be somewhere down the road

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23

Ya idk if it's because it's running hot because it does it when the tranny is cold too. But ya a rebuild I'm sure will be somewhere down the road
Another thing I noticed is that the fan is always on now. It used to not be on all the time. It would kick on and kick off but now it's pretty much always on. Idk if this is because the tranny is running hot but could be. What do you think?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23 View Post
Another thing I noticed is that the fan is always on now. It used to not be on all the time. It would kick on and kick off but now it's pretty much always on. Idk if this is because the tranny is running hot but could be. What do you think?
i think the fan sensor is on the motor bud... you may have a bad sensor. im gonna assume they changed your trans filter too when they put the shift kit in. there's alot of different things to cause a tranny to run hot. it could be as simple as a stuck check ball in the valve body..

and that's if it's even runnig hot.. it may just be running warm... or possibly the clutches are just worn out... with the clunking, im leaning towards the clutches just being worn out. you just never know till you get them apart. im not a builder, but my friend is...he makes me guesse wuts wrong before he takes it apart.

be sure to flush the cooler when u get it rebuilt as well as consider getting a new torque converter. ask your builder if he'll drop a magnet in the pan for u when he's done buiding it. it will help keep metal out of the valve body at a later date... toyota puts magnets in their pans and it seems to work.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

i think the fan sensor is on the motor bud... you may have a bad sensor. im gonna assume they changed your trans filter too when they put the shift kit in. there's alot of different things to cause a tranny to run hot. it could be as simple as a stuck check ball in the valve body..

and that's if it's even runnig hot.. it may just be running warm... or possibly the clutches are just worn out... with the clunking, im leaning towards the clutches just being worn out. you just never know till you get them apart. im not a builder, but my friend is...he makes me guesse wuts wrong before he takes it apart.

be sure to flush the cooler when u get it rebuilt as well as consider getting a new torque converter. ask your builder if he'll drop a magnet in the pan for u when he's done buiding it. it will help keep metal out of the valve body at a later date... toyota puts magnets in their pans and it seems to work.
Ya I'll have it checked out soon. Thanks for all the info. But another thing it does is when it's running and in park and you go to shift it into drive it will make a clunking noise as well. And when its in drive and you go to put it in reverse it will go into gear hard and like jerk the car. I've heard that this could be because the cable for the shifter is out of place and it's not engaging correctly. Because my shifter is messed up and I'm getting an aftermarket one soon. But do you think the clunking noise and going into reverse hard could be from the cable? Or would it be something else?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Clunking eh... Huh
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #16
Road Trip!

I dout its the shifter doing it, but have you by chance checked your U joints in the driveshaft, it could be making a clunking noise??? Idk
Old 02-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

You think it could be the u joint?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-17-2011, 01:24 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Cuz I've never checked them

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
You think it could be the u joint?
I have no idea???? Just figured it might be some of the cause. It wouldn't hurt to check though.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:30 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Ya how do the u joints usually go bad anyways?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Well after time the needle bearings just wear out just like any bearing. Most factory u joints dont have a grease fitting so you cant grease them. If you have any side to side play or up and down play in the u joint its bad. Also if you let the car sit more than it gets drove I've seen the grease get hard and tacky and the u joint fails when you go to drive it or one of the rubber ring seals dry rot on the u joint and it lets water in and that leads to a u joint failure. Good quality u joints usually will last over 100,xxx miles under normal driving.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Alrite. How much do u joints cost?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-17-2011, 01:50 AM   #23
Road Trip!

Usually at autozone you can get one for $10 to $15 each. But they can run up to $35 each depending on where you buy them.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I'll check it out and see. Thanks for the help

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-17-2011, 01:56 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:
Ok I'll check it out and see. Thanks for the help
Old 02-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
I dout its the shifter doing it, but have you by chance checked your U joints in the driveshaft, it could be making a clunking noise??? Idk
i hadnt even thought of that...itsa possibility..

Old 02-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Ya because it sounds like it's coming more from the front to middle of the car. It will clunk but not all the time and it will jerk the car sometimes when it clunks. It tends to always do it when your slowing down and coming to a stop. It seems like it would be the tranny and sounds like it's coming from the tranny but maybe it could be the u joints.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #28
Titus Wadicus
Regular

diagnosing over the net is pretty challenging. you could put the back of the car on jack stands to see if it's the trans or the u-joints...

Old 02-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

How would I tell which one it was though?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #30
Titus Wadicus
Regular

have someone switch the trans from reverse to drive a few times (make sure it comes to a complete stop before shifting)... you will hear the u-joints clank when going from forward to reverse if they are bad. you may need to get under it so you can hear good. if it's the trans, you will most likely hear the banging through the (trans) pan

Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I'll try that. Thanks

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

dude the same thing happened to me and the problem was the stock torque converter. it got burnt up and caused the tranny to burn up as well the ford tech showed me all the metal shavings. it was crazy. try other forums too s197forums is a really good one
b's stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Oh so the clunking came from the torque converter?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT