Brakes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Brakes

Anyone know of good brands or places to buy drilled and slotted rotors. I would really like to do a whole setup with calipers and everything but it's a little pricey.

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23
Anyone know of good brands or places to buy drilled and slotted rotors. I would really like to do a whole setup with calipers and everything but it's a little pricey.
eBay. The ceramic pads aren't name brand but the rotors look good
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What are the rotors called?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Honestly I don't have any idea. Go to eBay and narrow your search to mustang brakes and there are 500 listings. Just about any flavour you like.and from what I remember all 4 rotors and pads were under 200 bucks. I am not sure about whether or not the abs sensors hook up but I would assume they are a bolt on. I haven't used them but the pics look nice. Just pay attention to their feedback %
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks I'll check it out

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
www.maximummotorsports.com

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Not cheap but Wilwood makes complete front and rear kits in multiple different packages. Check out autoanything.com they have the best prices and you can enter what year/type vehicle you have so you can see what kits fit.
Jmeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ok cool. I actually put drilled and slotted rotors on the front with hawk pads and I'm not the happiest with them. There loud when the rotors are cold. Like if the rotors are cold and you put your foot on the brake and then release a little from the brake but not all the way to where the pad is still making a little contact with the rotor then it's really noisy. Once I drive the car for a while and the brakes warm up then the noise starts to go away. Is this normal? Or is something not right with the brakes?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok cool. I actually put drilled and slotted rotors on the front with hawk pads and I'm not the happiest with them. There loud when the rotors are cold. Like if the rotors are cold and you put your foot on the brake and then release a little from the brake but not all the way to where the pad is still making a little contact with the rotor then it's really noisy. Once I drive the car for a while and the brakes warm up then the noise starts to go away. Is this normal? Or is something not right with the brakes?
Probably the brake compound itself. The rotor and caliper don't make noise it's the sound of the pad against the rotor. Try changing your pads to a different brand.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Brakes

dont buy cheap drilled/slotted rotors as they will crack and warp very easy.

they dont help performance, they are just for looks (just FYI some dont know this)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
dont buy cheap drilled/slotted rotors as they will crack and warp very easy.

they dont help performance, they are just for looks (just FYI some dont know this)
True for the knock off cheapies but high quality drilled/slotted rotors keep heat down and break dust out of stopping surface.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeo

True for the knock off cheapies but high quality drilled/slotted rotors keep heat down and break dust out of stopping surface.
With drilled and slotted rotors, you actually loose braking surface which can actually increase stopping distance, and also can wear pads down faster. There is absolutely no need for those false performance rotors. New stock rotors with a nice pad would be all you need. Personally I don't know what you drive but I would upgrade to the cobra front brakes if you can ( for 94-04 cars). Much better stopping power, cheaper than brembo and the like, and they look better to.

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I drive an 06 GT but I guess I bought cheap rotors it sounds like. Btw the rotors are from a web site called rotorpros. Of anyone looks this up let me know what you think or if you've heard anything about the company.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea as said, go to a real autox where there are people that know what they are doing, walk around and look at what rotors they are using.

A nice cobra brake upgrade is cheap and does wonders as its the surface area not the slice of the caliper that makes the difference, but the more pistons the more evenly the pad is pressed
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. How much is a cobra brake upgrade?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

Going from memory here, but I think you have a pretty good setup in stock form. A S197 GT already has the twin-piston 13" rotor in the front (which is pretty much the same as the SN95 "cobra" brakes. I have a couple of suggestions for braking improvement:

1. Cheapest route
Upgrade the pads and go with SS Lines. As others have mentioned, cross-drilled/slotted are more prone to cracking if you are going to be doing hi-stressed events (like road-racing or hi-speed autocrossing). Upgrade your brake fluid if you are going to autocross.

2. Rotor only upgrade
I think Baer offers a rotor upgrade that will give you a 14" rotor but utilize your existing calipers. Note that you will need to see if your existing rims will clear a 14" rotor. Probably in the neighborhood of $600-$700 dollars

3. Full Tilt Boogie
Full 14" Rotor w/4 piston calipers. This would be like the GT500 setup. A variety of people make this kit (Brembo, Wilwood, Baer, etc). I have not priced out these kits recently, but I would guess around $1500. Or you could watch ebay for a set of GT500 take-offs.

From there you can also go up to a 6 piston caliper, just add $$$
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I'll look into it. What pads should I go with? And I'll probably go with a whole setup somewhere down the road when I get more cash.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

And you think the noise is from the pads? Because I think why it makes the noise is because the pads are made of a hard composite and take a while to warm up until the pads stop making as much noise.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
And you think the noise is from the pads? Because I think why it makes the noise is because the pads are made of a hard composite and take a while to warm up until the pads stop making as much noise.
Didn't know what you drove. Yea I'd go for a stock type rotor with a good pad. Hawk street pads would be a good all around pad. Can be noisy at times but very much. They got more aggressive pads if you want to do more aggressive driving. Just realize something has got to give. With pads you have 3 things; stopping performance, low brake dust, low noise. And usually you can only have 1 to 2 of either of those. My hawk hps plus pads are a lower dust and strong stopping power, tend to be noisy at times, but that's what I get for more of a race pad.

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Ya the hawk HPS pads are the same ones I have so you understand what I'm talking about when I say there noisy. Do you get that kind of loud vibration noise when the rotors and pads are cold?

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Well due to this discussion I did a little research and agree with most of you guys. Drilled rotors are pretty much for looks for 99.999% of us unless you are a serious all out track guy. I can see how they could also lead to cracking but that's more dependent on the quality of the rotor and less to do with the holes themselves. Slotted rotors do serve a purpose and is what I went with. They will off gas if the pads being used produce gas but the real function of slots is to keep a controlled wear pattern on the rotor surface and to prevent glazing of the pads. Please note what I have written is my opinion and not gospel. I am not the be all end all, unless you are my wife ,just a regular guy and am not trying to disagree with anyone. I spent some time on this matter and just wanted to share what I have learned. I just ordered the following part numbers for my car if you are interested at all what I went with.

Front: Wilwood 140-9110 14" 6 Piston
Rear: Wilwood 140-9221 13" 4 Piston
Front SS Line: Wilwood 220-9111
Rear SS Line: Wilwood 220-9248
E Brake Cable Kit: Wilwood 330-11221

Google them just to check them out. I think although VERY expensive they are one of the best setups available for the Mustang.

FYI I will be selling my 6 month old take off "14 Brembo/Ford Racing 4 piston caliper set if anyone is interested. They come as they did new with new 14" dust shields, 4 piston calipers (black), hawk front and rear ceramic pads (500 miles) and front and rear stainless steel lines. This kit is 2K and I am asking $1,200 plus shipping. If you have looked into this at all I think you'll find it a very fair deal. I apologize for putting this here but I cannot post to classifieds yet.

Sorry for the long winded post, later dudes!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT