Question for you Supercharged people - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Question for you Supercharged people

I finished installing my Whipple supercharger about a month ago but due to waiting for other parts to show up (mostly Kooks headers & H pipe) and waiting for the snow to melt I just today got to test drive it. I must say I'm in love but I have some questions.

First, the boost/vacuum gauge. At an idle and putting around the gauge reads around 22 of vacuum. Is this correct? I have never driven a boosted vehicle so I have no idea what it should read. When I jump on it I hear a beautiful whine and the gauge jumps to about 10lbs of boost. This I am sure is correct I just am not sure of the vacuum reading.

Second, when I come to a stop from any speed and put the clutch in the idle seems to hang around 1300-1500 for about 5 seconds or more before it slowly drops to 800-900 where it should be. Is this what your car does? I hate how it doesn't drop to 800-900 right away. It reminds me of when I tried the BBK throttle body. When I installed it I had a very similar problem with the throttle body so I took it off and went back to stock.

I purchases my Whipple kit from Lethal Performance and it came with a custom SCT tune from Dave Lund. I am not sure if a custom tune from my local tune shop can fix this or if it's something due to a vacuum leak. I am not convinced it's a vacuum leak because the idle does eventually drop to 800-900 and idles fine once there. I would think if it was a vacuum leak it would never drop to 800-900 rpm.

Maybe I should change the throttle body to a accufab or ford racing one before I get it dyno/tuned? I did use throttle body cleaner my stock unit when I was installing the supercharger to try and clean it up some.

Any input would be much appreciated
Jmeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #2

Region: Oklahoma
Vacuum should be normal engine vacuum at idle (18-22 in HG). The rpm drop sounds more like it has to do with your tune. If you had a vacuum leak I dont think you would be holding 22 in HG at idle. I hope this helps. I could definitely be wrong about your tune though I've never personally had that problem. I've heard other people have that issue and I think that's what fixed it.
BoostedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: Queastion for you Supercharged people

It could be a couple different things. One thing could be the maf sensor could have got dirty and could need cleaned. Another thing could be the tps sensor. Also when you flash the computer it erases what the computer has learned about its idle, it could be as simple as relearning the idle in which case it might solve the problem on it's own with a little more driving. and like boosted gt said it could be a vacuum issue the computer is very sensitive to vacuum signals. hope this helps.
Blacks197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for knowledge guys, I'm going to see what my local dyno tune shop can figure out.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

It might be an issue that's just there.

After I installed the big single blade billetflow throttle body I get slight hanging. I normally just lightly blip the throttle and it comes right down, tried everything in the world to fix it and it's still there. I've just learned to live with it.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

After I installed the big single blade billetflow throttle body I get slight hanging. I normally just lightly blip the throttle and it comes right down, tried everything in the world to fix it and it's still there. I've just learned to live with it.
Have you checked your TPS sensor? The hanging idle can start after a new TB is installed if the TPS sensor was not installed in exactly the same position. The TPS base idle voltage would get changed and cause a hanging idle.

jmeo good luck let me know what you find out im curious.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

I've got the same. You can push the blade closed by hand but it won't go by itself.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra

I've got the same. You can push the blade closed by hand but it won't go by itself.
I do as well. Even a heavy spring wouldn't hold it shut. Changed iac and tps and made adjustments to no avail. I just deal with it now. Although running the ac all the time for the killer chiller seems to help prevent the hang.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom

I do as well. Even a heavy spring wouldn't hold it shut. Changed iac and tps and made adjustments to no avail. I just deal with it now. Although running the ac all the time for the killer chiller seems to help prevent the hang.
I heard of some other brand tb. I never heard of it before. Forgot the name. If I can get rid of this acufab I'll be alright.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacks197

Have you checked your TPS sensor? The hanging idle can start after a new TB is installed if the TPS sensor was not installed in exactly the same position. The TPS base idle voltage would get changed and cause a hanging idle.

jmeo good luck let me know what you find out im curious.
Well got her tuned today and the idle is perfect now. I installed a Ford Racing twin 62 mm TB yesterday and limped to the shop this morning. After 7 hours of trying to figure out why my SCT tuner was having issues writing codes and a very long call to SCT by Dez Racing he got it working. He adjusted the air/fuel to a nice mixture, bumped the timing to a safe level and netted me 450.45 RWHP which is roughly 563 HP at the crank. I was hoping to be closer to 500 RWHP but am happy with a "safe" tune that should work well in the hot summer months. Most important, it idles beautiful and runs like a top.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeo

Well got her tuned today and the idle is perfect now. I installed a Ford Racing twin 62 mm TB yesterday and limped to the shop this morning. After 7 hours of trying to figure out why my SCT tuner was having issues writing codes and a very long call to SCT by Dez Racing he got it working. He adjusted the air/fuel to a nice mixture, bumped the timing to a safe level and netted me 450.45 RWHP which is roughly 563 HP at the crank. I was hoping to be closer to 500 RWHP but am happy with a "safe" tune that should work well in the hot summer months. Most important, it idles beautiful and runs like a top.
Awesome man glad you got it all worked out. Nice numbers to! I ordered a procharger for mine and it should be her late next week or early the following I'm wanting to get about 450 to the wheels also it's a good safe number for the stock rotating assembly.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacks197

Awesome man glad you got it all worked out. Nice numbers to! I ordered a procharger for mine and it should be her late next week or early the following I'm wanting to get about 450 to the wheels also it's a good safe number for the stock rotating assembly.
Awesome! Enjoy installing it as I did mine. Good luck and let us know your numbers.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeo

Awesome! Enjoy installing it as I did mine. Good luck and let us know your numbers.
521 hp 441 tq
Old 04-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Question for you Supercharged people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacks197 View Post
521 hp 441 tq
nice, watch it though you do not want to go any higher the engine wont take it very long
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Wow have fun but start saving some cash for a motor build. Sounds like you also got the mustang bug and once you start their is no stop LOL.
gixxer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea its not worth living on the edge of the motors life, best turn it back and enjoy it much longer~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm probably gonna get an 8psi pulley for now but if it fails it just gives me a reason to build a new bottom end then I can crank it up more

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT