Oil at start up - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jmeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 220
Oil at start up

Just before I put my supercharger in a month or so I noticed a cloud of blue/white smoke come from my exhaust when I started my car. It was sitting for about a month so I didn't let it bother me. Well, now it seems to be doing it every time the car sits for 8 hours or so. This is starting to concern me. I am wondering if maybe my piston rings are worn and oil is seeping by them while sitting then the oil burns off at start up. I just switched to Royal Purple oil, I wonder is it's too slick for my engine. Any ideas?
Jmeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Gibby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 501
I would think valve seats. The oil in the head seeps through and burns of when the engine is started. Just and Idea.
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jmeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby
I would think valve seats. The oil in the head seeps through and burns of when the engine is started. Just and Idea.
I know some things but not a lot about heads so is this something I can have done. I mean, can they be replace fairly easily by removing the cam covers or is this something that requires extensive head work?
Jmeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Oil at start up

im pretty sure he meant valve seals. but i agree with his assement. i think the heads have to come off. but dont quote me on it, im not a mod motor expert. i replaced mine when i swapped my valve springs.
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jmeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
im pretty sure he meant valve seals. but i agree with his assement. i think the heads have to come off. but dont quote me on it, im not a mod motor expert. i replaced mine when i swapped my valve springs.
I figured that as well. I remember doing valve seals in my 88 GT but this is a whole new world to me. I wonder if I switch back to semi synthetic oil if I'll get less seepage. It wasn't doing this until now and besides the supercharger all I did was switch to synthetic.
Jmeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Oil at start up

well like i was told..... when u drop a blower on, if there is anything wrong with the car the blower will find it...lol. you could try to swap back, but i dont think it will help, it is wut it is. when u put a blower on it pressurizes the engine verses pulling a vacuum on naturaly asperated. so what ever isnt sealed good on motor will leak on boost, if that makes any sense.
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jmeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
well like i was told..... when u drop a blower on, if there is anything wrong with the car the blower will find it...lol. you could try to swap back, but i dont think it will help, it is wut it is. when u put a blower on it pressurizes the engine verses pulling a vacuum on naturaly asperated. so what ever isnt sealed good on motor will leak on boost, if that makes any sense.
Oh it makes perfect sense, just kind of makes me wanna cry
Jmeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Oil at start up

just drive it till u cant stand it anymore.....then get it fixed.lol
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Oil at start up

many 03/04 cobras do this as well as they get older, heck when I let mine sit I notice some smoke on start up thats either that or the tune....
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jmeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
many 03/04 cobras do this as well as they get older, heck when I let mine sit I notice some smoke on start up thats either that or the tune....
Thanks for the input. I am just not gonna worry too much about it for now. I was hoping to get 2 more years out of the block and then go forged with more boost. I'll just give her luv and try not to abuse her too much till then.

Do you guys think I should switch back to synthetic blend oil or stay with the Royal Purple?
Jmeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Synthetic oil is a uniformly shaped and is higher in detergent and may cause leaks at the gaskets but I have never heard of it causing ring failure. I really doubt it's the oil.

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeo

I figured that as well. I remember doing valve seals in my 88 GT but this is a whole new world to me. I wonder if I switch back to semi synthetic oil if I'll get less seepage. It wasn't doing this until now and besides the supercharger all I did was switch to synthetic.
Thicker oil may help but it's not going to cure it. I think your due for a rebuild.

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeo

Thanks for the input. I am just not gonna worry too much about it for now. I was hoping to get 2 more years out of the block and then go forged with more boost. I'll just give her luv and try not to abuse her too much till then.

Do you guys think I should switch back to synthetic blend oil or stay with the Royal Purple?
Royal purple has moly in it and should help the seal not harm it. The oil isn't the problem

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jmeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

Royal purple has moly in it and should help the seal not harm it. The oil isn't the problem

PETOM.biz TTT
I just ment maybe it seeps by the seals more than conventional oil
Jmeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeo

I just ment maybe it seeps by the seals more than conventional oil
Seals,yes it would because each molecule is the same shape and size. Maybe on your next oil change try a thicker Dino oil. See if it keeps up or not. When I switched the old lady's car over to synthetic she got an oil leak. The Amsoil cleaned all the built up gunk out and caused it. I went back to Dino on her car cause of it. At this point you don't have much to lose so try whatever. I know that the oil additive called restore will stretch out the life of a motor because it has soft metals in it that fill the inconsistencies in the cylinder wall but that's if your motor is on it's last legs. Try that stuff and see if it helps. Grey can

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jmeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 220
Got some Lucas Oil "Stop Leak" and am going to add a quart once I'm a quart low again.

Just noticed that the oil catch can I put in (Stef's Fabrication) is dry as a bone after about 200 miles. There seems to be some oil residue on the drivers side valve cover where the hose comes out. Dont think it's working correctly.
Jmeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #17
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeo
Got some Lucas Oil "Stop Leak" and am going to add a quart once I'm a quart low again.

Just noticed that the oil catch can I put in (Stef's Fabrication) is dry as a bone after about 200 miles. There seems to be some oil residue on the drivers side valve cover where the hose comes out. Dont think it's working correctly.
Oh god no. That stuff causes oil foaming. Get it out of there. It is just thick oil with no detergent or friction reducing additives. Just go with a heavier weight oil. NEVER EVER USE LUCAS.

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jmeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

Oh god no. That stuff causes oil foaming. Get it out of there. It is just thick oil with no detergent or friction reducing additives. Just go with a heavier weight oil. NEVER EVER USE LUCAS.

PETOM.biz TTT
Really? Haven't put it in yet but heard it works really well.
Jmeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #19
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeo

Really? Haven't put it in yet but heard it works really well.
Oh god no. Buddy there are countless threads about that stuff at the bob is the oil guy forum. It causes the oil to foam which lubricates nothing and causes engine damage. That stuff is a no go. Try it out,then take er out for a high rev ride then pull over and check your dipstick. I didn't even know til about a year ago when I read it at bitog. Like I said. Go to bitog and search on that stuff.

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Your motor sounds like it's pretty much had it so I suggest that stuff in the silver can called restore. I would never put it in a still good motor because it causes sludge

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jmeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett
Your motor sounds like it's pretty much had it so I suggest that stuff in the silver can called restore. I would never put it in a still good motor because it causes sludge

PETOM.biz TTT
Well thank you for getting to me before I put it in! I will return it to the store pronto. Don't let me confuse you, my car runs like a top it just let's out some blue smoke when starting it after it sits for a while. Other than that it runs great.
Jmeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #22
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeo

Well thank you for getting to me before I put it in! I will return it to the store pronto. Don't let me confuse you, my car runs like a top it just let's out some blue smoke when starting it after it sits for a while. Other than that it runs great.
Well if I can suggest going to napa and buing liqui-moly. It's like 6 bucks a can. It may help the blue smoke at start up but I promise it will save you a ton of gas. Google it. Liqui-moly

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jmeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

Well if I can suggest going to napa and buing liqui-moly. It's like 6 bucks a can. It may help the blue smoke at start up but I promise it will save you a ton of gas. Google it. Liqui-moly

PETOM.biz TTT
I will definitely check that out, thanks.
Jmeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
99 v6 Won't Start PLease HELP brie2888 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 13 01-15-2011 11:03 AM
My 99 won't start!! j_worrr 1996-2004 Mustang GT 13 12-28-2009 12:40 PM
Where to start? Jay Dawg Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 10 08-12-2008 08:20 PM
where do i start? corey-b25 General Mustang Discussion 2 02-28-2008 10:59 PM
No start on a '99 4doorsleeper Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 09-15-2007 03:06 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:59 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.