question about driving stick in the city - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #36
Road Trip!

Region: North Carolina
Re: question about driving stick in the city

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0lfMAN21 View Post
Haha wow. I'm sort of on the same boat. I'm learning stick on my stang. I only got it a little over 2 weeks ago.

When I do get attention on the streets, it's because the car is yellow. I'm trying to stay under the radar, at least till I get a better hang of driving stick with my stang.
Yeah Mustangs already get attention especially vibrant colors like that!!!

but once you get it down pat you will be getting attention for good reasons... the first time I drove stick it had lightly rained a bit and the road was still wet and I stalled the car out so I was emberrased a bit so I made sure it wouldn't happen again and put it in gear and revved the engine up to about 4500(bad idea by the way when you have no idea what you're doing!!!) haha but I ended up spinning all the way through the intersection...haha
2008Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Shelby

Yeah Mustangs already get attention especially vibrant colors like that!!!

but once you get it down pat you will be getting attention for good reasons... the first time I drove stick it had lightly rained a bit and the road was still wet and I stalled the car out so I was emberrased a bit so I made sure it wouldn't happen again and put it in gear and revved the engine up to about 4500(bad idea by the way when you have no idea what you're doing!!!) haha but I ended up spinning all the way through the intersection...haha
Lmao sounds like you had a blast! Nothing like that happened to me. Before it even rains, I have my stang resting in the garage. And now I hear it's gonna snow where I live. Means no drive in it for a few days.
W0lfMAN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #38
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:

That's what I was tlaking about....had he said he does it and simply takes off then fine but him sitting like that isn't good for it...

and regardless of what we say everybody will develop their own technique for it....some better than others...
Chill out. I misread your comment and we got it figured anyway. And honestly I appreciate another opinion. Yours may teach me something I didn't know already.

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #39
Road Trip!

Quote:
Lmao sounds like you had a blast! Nothing like that happened to me. Before it even rains, I have my stang resting in the garage. And now I hear it's gonna snow where I live. Means no drive in it for a few days.
yeah it was one of those random thunderstorms mine are always up before the rain comes now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Chill out. I misread your comment and we got it figured anyway. And honestly I appreciate another opinion. Yours may teach me something I didn't know already.

PETOM.biz TTT
haha I wasn't flippping or anything sorry if it came off that way...I tend to sound like a ****** sometimes but I don't mean it that way!!! haha
Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #40
Road Trip!

I pull it out of gear and just brake til I stop,then push in the clutch and get it into first,then let the clutch out halfway because it isn't engaging,then when ready to proceed finish letting out the clutch. For every different driver there is a different way and they are all fine as long as the clutch isn't slightly engaged while stopped,then your prematurely wearing it out but other than that it's basically whatever your comfortable with. Just don't ride the clutch,as long as your not riding if whatever technique you find comfy is fine

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #41
Road Trip!

Quote:
I pull it out of gear and just brake til I stop,then push in the clutch and get it into first,then let the clutch out halfway because it isn't engaging,then when ready to proceed finish letting out the clutch. For every different driver there is a different way and they are all fine as long as the clutch isn't slightly engaged while stopped,then your prematurely wearing it out but other than that it's basically whatever your comfortable with. Just don't ride the clutch,as long as your not riding if whatever technique you find comfy is fine

PETOM.biz TTT
That's pretty much exactly how I drive!! haha
Old 03-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #42
Road Trip!

Quote:

yeah it was one of those random thunderstorms mine are always up before the rain comes now!!!

haha I wasn't flippping or anything sorry if it came off that way...I tend to sound like a ****** sometimes but I don't mean it that way!!! haha
No problem. K ....no one is butthurt and we got a few styles out there now op just trial and error. Find what works best for you

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-31-2011, 03:01 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

You'll get used to driving a yellow stang soon enough.. Just be ready for all the retarded economy cars trying to race you and stuff. Oh, and for cops to pick you out of a group to put the radar on you. Haha.

But when figuring out the clutch.. Just take it slow. It'll get easier and easier as time goes on. I've had my car for nearly two months and I don't have any troubles with the stick anymore... Well, except for when I'm at low speeds and get cut off in first gear. Sometimes I don't get back on the clutch fast enough and almost stall. Haha.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:20 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to JB3nd3r

Yea my stang is my first manual also, have only had it about a month and a couple weeks. I'm no expert but I got comfortable with it fairly quickly, and I feel the same way I refuse to go back to auto... I got in my trans am the other day which is an auto and I kept going for the clutch, just feels like it should be there lol
Old 03-31-2011, 08:23 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I HIGHLY recommend you NEVER just sit and hold the clutch in all the way or a little bit. Either its on its way down or up, no in between other than starting off.

When you come to a stop or a redlight put the car in neutral and let the clutch out, dont sit and hold it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:53 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I HIGHLY recommend you NEVER just sit and hold the clutch in all the way or a little bit. Either its on its way down or up, no in between other than starting off.

When you come to a stop or a redlight put the car in neutral and let the clutch out, dont sit and hold it.
hm.. can you explain why this is bad? Everett mentioned earlier it's okay to hold it down all the way, as long as it's not engaging.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 AM   #47
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana

loving the info in this thread guys. as a female with my first stick car and it being a pretty quick one at that, its not easy to drive. i'm pretty much self taught but i've always wondered if i was doing it right. especially the whole red light thing.

every red light is different for me. if i see the other light is yellow i'll hold in the clutch in first cuz i know i'll be taking off in a few seconds. if i know its a long light i'll sit in neutral with just the brake and out of the clutch.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6 View Post
loving the info in this thread guys. as a female with my first stick car and it being a pretty quick one at that, its not easy to drive. i'm pretty much self taught but i've always wondered if i was doing it right. especially the whole red light thing.

every red light is different for me. if i see the other light is yellow i'll hold in the clutch in first cuz i know i'll be taking off in a few seconds. if i know its a long light i'll sit in neutral with just the brake and out of the clutch.
This is actually what I started doing last night lol. If I see the opposite light as yellow, I start getting ready to move.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
hm.. can you explain why this is bad? Everett mentioned earlier it's okay to hold it down all the way, as long as it's not engaging.
when you have the cluch pushed in you are forcing the throwout bearing down and it is spinning (it is a bearing afterall lol) and spinning is what wears it out. So... the more you have it pushed in the more the bearing wears and the sooner it goes bad.

I am not say NEVER do it, I am only saying do NOT get in a habbit of constantly holding it in when sitting at lights and such. Technically its fine to push it in overall but over time it wears the bearing out much faster. I am just paranoid as I went through 4 of them in like a damn year due to Ford screwing them up and they all started chirping.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

I despise automatics.
Try saying that when your driving a stick in bumper to bumper traffic seven days a week had stick my first car then realized around here I never got it out of third gear
Silverstang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #51
Road Trip!

Well I hope I'm never in bumper to bumper traffic for several days a week but yes a stick is annoying for only city ddriving but I would still have one....and Spec has explained it quite nicely....really I knew some about it all and how it worked but this thread has done very well and has a plethora of info
Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #52
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0lfMAN21

It is fine as long as you have it pushed all the way in. If you are sitting at half pedal you may be riding it and quite possibly glazing it over. I just got used to leaving mine in gear and using the engine to brake. As your coming up to a light you have options. You can pull it our of gear and used the brakes to stop,or grab a lower gear til almost stopped. There are as many different techniques as their are people driving but as long as the pedal is all the way to the floor you are not wearing on the clutch.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
when you have the cluch pushed in you are forcing the throwout bearing down and it is spinning (it is a bearing afterall lol) and spinning is what wears it out. So... the more you have it pushed in the more the bearing wears and the sooner it goes bad.

I am not say NEVER do it, I am only saying do NOT get in a habbit of constantly holding it in when sitting at lights and such. Technically its fine to push it in overall but over time it wears the bearing out much faster. I am just paranoid as I went through 4 of them in like a damn year due to Ford screwing them up and they all started chirping.
Quote:
It is fine as long as you have it pushed all the way in. If you are sitting at half pedal you may be riding it and quite possibly glazing it over. I just got used to leaving mine in gear and using the engine to brake. As your coming up to a light you have options. You can pull it our of gear and used the brakes to stop,or grab a lower gear til almost stopped. There are as many different techniques as their are people driving but as long as the pedal is all the way to the floor you are not wearing on the clutch.
Well, since the thread started, I've tried all the different techniques. Most of the time I stop at a light now, I leave it in neutral with my foot on the brake. As the opposite light turns yellow I get ready to move. (really impatient people in my area lol) The only times I leave my foot all the way down the clutch is when I know it's gonna change within the next 10 seconds of me stopping, or if I'm on one of those damn hills lol.

Thanks again for all the helps guys.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

^^ yea thats about what I do
Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #55

Region: Illinois
I can't help but chuckle reading this. My 05 was my first manual car as well! I bought it and couldn't even drive it home! HAH! Makes me laugh thinking of that day. In no time you will be a pro and it will be second nature to you! Have fun, manual transmission rocks!
SlikPny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikPny View Post
I can't help but chuckle reading this. My 05 was my first manual car as well! I bought it and couldn't even drive it home! HAH! Makes me laugh thinking of that day. In no time you will be a pro and it will be second nature to you! Have fun, manual transmission rocks!
That's what I'm told by almost everyone, that it'll be second nature to me lol.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
That's what I'm told by almost everyone, that it'll be second nature to me lol.
Definitely becomes second nature. When my dad was growing up he drove nothing but manuals and when we bought his 08 gt 5spd he hadn't driven manual for probably 15 years and just went like it was nothing
Old 04-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #58
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC770 View Post
Definitely becomes second nature. When my dad was growing up he drove nothing but manuals and when we bought his 08 gt 5spd he hadn't driven manual for probably 15 years and just went like it was nothing
I remember when dad brought the Cobra home, mom and everybody else was away for the weekend and it was just me and him. I had never seen him drive a manual and at the time didn't know too much about them and I asked him if he knew how to drive it still since he hadn't driven one in what I thought forever(I was wrong)...he never answered the question just showed me he still knew!!! This was at the age I never knew what all he had done..hell I still don't...but he drove for commercials in the 80's/90's...now driving one is just as natural to me.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV

^Completely true. And can prematurely wear out the master cylinder.
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #60
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Grandpa taught me how to drive stick in the snow in his ol VW bug.......when I was 10.....damn I miss that guy.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine

Interesting read. I grew up with a lot of chevys with sticks and I never ruined a throwout by holding the clutch in at a stop over time. Replaced a couple disks from popping the clutch too many times but that was all me. Maybe the Fords aren't as tough?

As for hills, line locks will help and are a hell of a lot of fun - so I've read.

Murph's Glassback!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #62
Road Trip!

Region: California
Nothing bugs me more than calling a manual a "stick" aaarrghhhh
11SHELBYGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Ah, I'm sorry for bugging you then. lol.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #64
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0lfMAN21

Ah, I'm sorry for bugging you then. lol.
LOL It's like the person who was first to call it a stick was trying to explain a manual trans to idiot. "well you see that stick looking thing there, that's how you change gears"
Old 04-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #65
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Wow...touchy
Old 04-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #66
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500 View Post

How do you feel about "standard"?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #67
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM

How do you feel about "standard"?
I'm cool with that.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #68
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500 View Post
I'm cool with that.
"Stick" is a yankee term and "standard" seems more of a southern thing.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Well, if I grew up calling it a stick, it stays a stick. sorry to make your skin crawl.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #70
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla
Well, if I grew up calling it a stick, it stays a stick. sorry to make your skin crawl.
It just crawled a little. LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT