question about driving stick in the city - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
question about driving stick in the city

Okay, I own a manual 06' V8 Mustang. This is my first manual car so sorry if the question sounds really stupid lol. I live in a city with decent amount of hills. I was told it was okay to stop at a light with my foot on the brake and the other on the clutch's "sweet spot". Where as I let go of the brake, the car will begin to accelerate with touching the acceleration.

My question is; Is this okay? Or will this be abusing my clutch unnecessarily?
W0lfMAN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: North Carolina
Re: question about driving stick in the city

Well that's not a very good idea.....I know it is helpful and convinient but it's still not something you should do unless some ****** is on your *** or something....and if you have trouble on hills go practice on a hill where there is nobody at for awhile until you have it down...but the sweet spot isn't very good for it...however I had an F-250 6SPD that would climb any hill you wanted on or offroad with only toggling the clutch....man I miss that truck...
2008Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Shelby View Post
Well that's not a very good idea.....I know it is helpful and convinient but it's still not something you should do unless some ****** is on your *** or something....and if you have trouble on hills go practice on a hill where there is nobody at for awhile until you have it down...but the sweet spot isn't very good for it...however I had an F-250 6SPD that would climb any hill you wanted on or offroad with only toggling the clutch....man I miss that truck...
Okay, so it's not a smart move; got it lol. Mind giving my newbie self an explanation as to what I'm doing when I do that?

Thanks for that quick response btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Okay look at it this way everytime you use the clutch it wears it down...like every other part of your car...and while shifting gears isn't bad bad for it there isn't much going there...basically the clutch isn't having to hold 2 tons of metal up...when you halfway disengage the clutch to hole you on the hill the clutch is being used and burned the whole time from you semi-releasing it until you are off of it completely...have you not smelled any burning after doing it?!?!? and are you doing it several times a day?!?! because if so you might want to go test drive a new straight drive and practice on it before you tear yours up more....one way you can stop this and this is how I learned was to pull my e-brake and keep the clutch all the way down and then you have a foot free to use the gas and rev the engine a bit so you can get the RPMs up and slowly release the e-brake like you would your regular brake....it's hard sometimes I know and I stalled mine out the other day for the first time in years so it happens to everyone...but yeah don't do that anymore!! haha

and anyone call BS if they have a different solution but that's what I've always been told...
Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Shelby
Okay look at it this way everytime you use the clutch it wears it down...like every other part of your car...and while shifting gears isn't bad bad for it there isn't much going there...basically the clutch isn't having to hold 2 tons of metal up...when you halfway disengage the clutch to hole you on the hill the clutch is being used and burned the whole time from you semi-releasing it until you are off of it completely...have you not smelled any burning after doing it?!?!? and are you doing it several times a day?!?! because if so you might want to go test drive a new straight drive and practice on it before you tear yours up more....one way you can stop this and this is how I learned was to pull my e-brake and keep the clutch all the way down and then you have a foot free to use the gas and rev the engine a bit so you can get the RPMs up and slowly release the e-brake like you would your regular brake....it's hard sometimes I know and I stalled mine out the other day for the first time in years so it happens to everyone...but yeah don't do that anymore!! haha

and anyone call BS if they have a different solution but that's what I've always been told...
Uh no I haven't smelled anything burning... Yet lol. I don't drive it everyday, almost every other day and maybe 5-8 miles max. Gonna take it out later tonight. I can do what you explained, it's like I said, I was told there was nothing wrong with what I was doing earlier.

But I don't plan to do that anymore. But just to confirm, I can stop at the light, stick it in neutral, and keep my foot on the brake correct? Then when it's time to move, just shift over to first and take it from there?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0lfMAN21 View Post
Uh no I haven't smelled anything burning... Yet lol. I don't drive it everyday, almost every other day and maybe 5-8 miles max. Gonna take it out later tonight. I can do what you explained, it's like I said, I was told there was nothing wrong with what I was doing earlier.

But I don't plan to do that anymore. But just to confirm, I can stop at the light, stick it in neutral, and keep my foot on the brake correct? Then when it's time to move, just shift over to first and take it from there?
Yeah man I never keep it in gear at any light...especially the lights around here I put it in nuetral put the brake on and relax until it turns green...now my question is do you downshift?!?!?!?!? :O
Old 03-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah man I never keep it in gear at any light...especially the lights around here I put it in nuetral put the brake on and relax until it turns green...now my question is do you downshift?!?!?!?!? :O
You mean like on the highway? Or are you asking if I used to stop at the light on 1st? Because I never did that.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to JB3nd3r

Why don't you just put the top half of your foot on the brake and rev the car with your heel, as if you were doing heel-toe double clutching... Then ease out the clutch and when you let off the brake get on the gas.
That might take a bit getting used too where its smooth but once you got it down it's no biggy
Old 03-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Road Trip!

just any type of downshifting............I don't know a soul that runs all the way from 4th gear back to 1st at a light just casual downshifting...........because a lot of people I never never downshift and try to drive 23mph in 5th and it just doesn't work..
Old 03-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3nd3r
Why don't you just put the top half of your foot on the brake and rev the car with your heel, as if you were doing heel-toe double clutching... Then ease out the clutch and when you let off the brake get on the gas.
That might take a bit getting used too where its smooth but once you got it down it's no biggy
Would have to practice that for a while. lol. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
just any type of downshifting............I don't know a soul that runs all the way from 4th gear back to 1st at a light just casual downshifting...........because a lot of people I never never downshift and try to drive 23mph in 5th and it just doesn't work..
Oh once in a while if I'm on the highway and I wanna over take someone.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
K...I dunno what this guy is talking about but he is mistaken. If you let out your clutch to just before the engagement point it's wearing out nothing because the clutch isn't engaged at all. If it was just catching tho then it would wear the clutch but if it's before the engagement point your 100% fine dude

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0lfMAN21

Yes that technique is fine

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:

So that's what you have always been told....so I am to assume that your comment isn't from experience then....ohhhhhhhh ok

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett
K...I dunno what this guy is talking about but he is mistaken. If you let out your clutch to just before the engagement point it's wearing out nothing because the clutch isn't engaged at all. If it was just catching tho then it would wear the clutch but if it's before the engagement point your 100% fine dude

PETOM.biz TTT
Well what I used to do was leave the clutch at the spot where it would start moving with no acceleration, and keep my other foot on the break. That's not good right?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:

Well what I used to do was leave the clutch at the spot where it would start moving with no acceleration, and keep my other foot on the break. That's not good right?
If it moves the car when your off the brake then yes it's not good. The clutch is engaged albeit very little but it is still wearing on the disk. My clutch engages in the top 3rd of the pedal so in traffic I leave the pedal held halfway so it's an instant engagement cause I am already right there

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If it moves the car when your off the brake then yes it's not good. The clutch is engaged albeit very little but it is still wearing on the disk. My clutch engages in the top 3rd of the pedal so in traffic I leave the pedal held halfway so it's an instant engagement cause I am already right there

PETOM.biz TTT
That's about the same spot where my clutch engages.

So what if at a light, I left my foot all the way down on the clutch, is that okay? All the way down, then when I'm ready to move, just let go till it engages?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Quote:

So what if at a light, I left my foot all the way down on the clutch, is that okay? All the way down, then when I'm ready to move, just let go till it engages?
This
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yes that's absolutely fine. At a light I leave it in gear with clutch depressed til your ready to go. And when you change gears while in motion put it in gear and totally let out the clutch before you push the gas. If you gas it before the clutch is totally engaged it will wear it out faster

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

This
Haha thanks.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes that's absolutely fine. At a light I leave it in gear with clutch depressed til your ready to go. And when you change gears while in motion put it in gear and totally let out the clutch before you push the gas. If you gas it before the clutch is totally engaged it will wear it out faster

PETOM.biz TTT
Thanks. That helps clear a lot of questions lol.

I took the car out earlier. At a light I kept it in neutral and would shift to first when it went green. Your way certainly makes it easier on the hills and for lights that switch rather quickly.

I've always driven auto before. I have to admit, learning and getting the hang of driving stick, makes me never want to go back to auto lol.

Thanks again to you and everyone to helped in this thread.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Once you get used to it you will never look back. I love shifting gears and dumping the clutch at 5000 rpm to just melt rubber. Good luck. And if you get any problems just shoot me a pm.

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:
I've always driven auto before. I have to admit, learning and getting the hang of driving stick, makes me never want to go back to auto lol.

Thanks again to you and everyone to helped in this thread.
I despise automatics.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:

I despise automatics.
In a sports car I agree 100%. My 4x4 tho is a different story tho. And your flywheel got shipped today

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Once you get used to it you will never look back. I love shifting gears and dumping the clutch at 5000 rpm to just melt rubber. Good luck. And if you get any problems just shoot me a pm.

PETOM.biz TTT
Thanks Everett! Yeah I'll shoot a pm if I have more questions. Almost every thread I've started you've posted really helpful info. lol

Thanks again man.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I despise automatics.
I know I'll get to that point eventually. I already refuse to drive my friends car. His is an auto. Driving stick just feels and looks better.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:

Thanks Everett! Yeah I'll shoot a pm if I have more questions. Almost every thread I've started you've posted really helpful info. lol

Thanks again man.
No problem. I love my car and the friends I have made because of our shared passion. I am happy to be of service

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:

I know I'll get to that point eventually. I already refuse to drive my friends car. His is an auto. Driving stick just feels and looks better.
And the control of the power you put down in each gear. I love my 5 speed. It's like a direct link to the road,you can control wheel spin with just a touch of the gas. The pull as you hammer the 2nd to 3rd shift. Freedom baby

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
In a sports car I agree 100%. My 4x4 tho is a different story tho. And your flywheel got shipped today

PETOM.biz TTT
That rocks man! Thanks!
Automatics on trucks are okay, they pull more weight too.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:

That rocks man! Thanks!
Ya...I bought it to work...tough to shift and drink coffee. The car however was all for play

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:

That rocks man! Thanks!
U kiddin. I am glad it's going to a bro who is actually gonna use it

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post

PETOM.biz TTT
Quote:
That's what I was tlaking about....had he said he does it and simply takes off then fine but him sitting like that isn't good for it...

and regardless of what we say everybody will develop their own technique for it....some better than others...
Old 03-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's what I was tlaking about....had he said he does it and simply takes off then fine but him sitting like that isn't good for it...

and regardless of what we say everybody will develop their own technique for it....some better than others...
That's the thing, I was doing it wrong. Id sit there with my clutch a fourth way down But lesson learned and understood. Not happening again. Thanks a bunch to you and Everett.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
That's the thing, I was doing it wrong. Id sit there with my clutch a fourth way down But lesson learned and understood. Not happening again. Thanks a bunch to you and Everett.
Yeah I don't even bother with having it in gear at lights...but we all live and learn...I just wish I had somebody to teach me...I learned on the Cobra...what I didn't know from tractors haha and a 16 year old kid stalling out and burning out all through town for about a week attracts attention...and not the good kind.. hahah
Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I don't even bother with having it in gear at lights...but we all live and learn...I just wish I had somebody to teach me...I learned on the Cobra...what I didn't know from tractors haha and a 16 year old kid stalling out and burning out all through town for about a week attracts attention...and not the good kind.. hahah
Haha wow. I'm sort of on the same boat. I'm learning stick on my stang. I only got it a little over 2 weeks ago.

When I do get attention on the streets, it's because the car is yellow. I'm trying to stay under the radar, at least till I get a better hang of driving stick with my stang.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT