Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Mac Longtubes with X Pipe

5K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  Southern stang 
#1 ·
In a few days I'm looking to buy a set of Mac longtube headers. For the x pipe it needs to be catted and was wondering what you guys recommend and what would sound the best?

#5 ·
Ya. But alot of the midpipes like bbk and SLP only connect with their headers. With the mac longtubes The prochamber connects with it obviously but I'm not sure which other x pipes will work. Do you know of any?

#9 ·
I just installed a set on my car a few days ago. Fitment is great, sound is even better, and the performance is awesome lol. I ended up having an exhaust shop make me a piece to go from my Mac lt's to my pypes h pipe. Ended up cutting and rewelding some hangers for clearance and fitment issues but no biggie. All in all I'm a happy camper.

Attachments

#10 ·
Why did you have a piece made to go from the LTs to the h pipe? Shouldn't they just butt up together? And you said you didn't have fitment issues but then u say u had to weld hangers and stuff.

#11 ·
The mac's are actually a mid length header, not a true longtube like the kooks, pypes, slp, bbk and what not. So basically most shorty H pipe set up's won't work with this header( I realized this after purchase). I'm not sure what all will work but the only mid pipe set up I know that will work is the prochamber...

The physical headers fit great, and had no clearence issues at all header wise. The pypes H pipe and mid muffler set up I had is where the problems were.

I have had fitment issues with the pypes mid muffler set up and O/R H since day one. I just dealt with it because IMO nothing can touch it sound wise. I just positioned a jack under the mid pipe, cut the hangers and repositioned where I wanted and rewelded. I had clearence and scraping issues since day one with this set up, and now more so with vibrations and rattles as it hit alot of different brackets on the car.

Now that I've cut a couple hangers on the pypes system, rewelded them in better locations, and welded most of the system solid it's much more enjoyable. No rattles, no leaks, no vibrations. Just a clean, good, deep exhaust note. Especially with the cams.

Would I had bought the mac's knowing I would've had to buy a prochamber? No. I don't like the way it sounds(I'm picky about the way my car sounds lol) But, I got a great deal on them, and the headers themselves fit great. I had an exhaust shop fab me two legs for $30 and I was able to keep my H pipe. So I'm overall a happy camper :)

#12 ·
Ohh I see. This is what the guy at brenspeed told me. If you are thinking of purchasing headers, I would highly recommend the
Pypes over the MACs. They are a LOT better quality and they also are made
out of 304 stainless steel and not mild steel like the MACs so they wont
rust. Also, the Pypes have a large header flange that connects all of the
collectors where the MACs don't so the fitment at the head isn't all that
great. The Pypes also have a catted x pipe option and are in stock and ready
to ship.

#13 ·
And he said the ceramic coating on the macs Isnt that good and that the pypes are an exact copy of the kooks headers which are the best on the market.

#16 ·
They say design wise is close to kooks. But nothing can touch kooks fit and finish wise. I just can't justify spending that kind of money for a set of longtubes. JMO

#28 ·
I just bought a set of used Kooks that have been re coated so they look new ( one small dent ) got them for $ 450 , owner paid $1050 for them new and $200 to have them coated / so I guess I made out :good:
Going to do the install in a couple weeks , can't wait !!! :headbang:

#18 ·
Ya I've also heard in the past pypes has had fitment issues but now they have kinda resolved the problem and the fitment on them is much better.

#21 ·
Overall honestly I like the macs and can get them to you fairly cheap if you want. But if I did it over again it would be pypes.

#24 ·
Ya that's a little bit cheaper. Well I'll have to decide if I need more money and just go with pypes or save a little money by going with the macs. After what the guy at brenspeed said it kinda turns me off on the macs. Because I don't want fitment issues and what else that might come along with it.

#25 ·
Later on down the road if I find a good deal on on pypes I may swap them. But for now I'm pretty happy with Mac. But for the price I couldn't pass them up and I wanted to be done with exhaust for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.