Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Intake question

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  gqsmash 
#1 ·
I'm lookin at buying a JLT intake but I don't what to get a tuner yet...but I will soon...so my question is well it be ok if I get this intake that requires a tune but don't have a tuner yet? I know I won't see much gain but I just want to know I won't be messing it up by running leaner if thats even the case...and is JLT the way to go or do y'all think there is better for the price? Thanks in advance!!

#7 ·
Tuner first. I would recommend going with Bama from AM. Free retunes as you go. The jlt is going to set a lean code. And more likely than not your cars probably going to run like crap.

#8 ·
The more i read I'm glad I asked....I just don't know what the difference is with the sct sf3 and the sct x....should I look into one or the other? I want to take it and get it tuned on a dyno later on down the road but can they put that tune on it with any one of these sct s or what?

#9 ·
Yes, your tuner should be able to load the tunes onto your sct if he knows what he's doing. I plan on getting on the rollers soon. Making a couple pulls with a local club the 25th but no tuning at the time. Just looking at numbers lol.

#11 ·
Idk. My buddy has diablo sport and likes it also. Most tuners use sct's software now but the best thing I can recommend is contact the guy that's going to be doing your tuning. Ask him what tuner he uses and buy it. Best bet there. :)

#13 ·
05+ GT's most always require a tune with an intake, but the plus side is you get TONS more power

look into americanmuscle.com for their tunes for life using bamachips base tunes which are great for newer 05+ cars. Might be pricey but you can get updates with new mods and such and make good power.

SCT is far more widely used and to me better all around

#14 ·
Save the coin and do it all at once. There is pretty much no difference in the X3 and SF3,I believe the SF3 is just a newer model but operates the same as the X3. I did full exhaust,CAI,tuner and 4.10s all at the same time and BOOYAKASHA! Totally different car,couldn't stop smiling.

#15 ·
IT WONT EVEN RUN With out the tune
my 06 has a c&l intake and i have a tuner ,just for ha ha's one day I put the tune back to stock and the car wouldn't even stay running with the CAI , it spit and sputtered and kept stalling ... put the tune back on,and she ran fine ...

#17 ·
2005/up tune required, if you don't the car will go into limp mode and you'll be lucky if it even idles, I highly recommend A/M Bama tunes:headbang:, I have JLTII and SCT3 with the 93 octane Race, Torque and Performace tunes, I run the race tune most of the time for my DD tune, but if I take a road trip I switch to the Performance tune because it's tuned more for the top end and I get a increase in gas mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.