Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Air conditioner won't cool in town driving

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Lilmike1988 
#1 ·
I hope this is the correct forum to ask about my air conditioning in my Mustang.
It is a 2009 Mustang GT convertible. It was a Christmas gift this past Dec. The air conditioning does not cool at all in town driving. Does the Mustang convertible have a bad habit of not cooling in stop and go traffic? I am thinking about taking it in to see if there is something wrong, but don't won't to waste my time and money if it won't do me any good.
It has been over a 100 deg here and I have been driving around most of the time with the top down or the windows open for all the good that does. Thanks for anything anyone can tell me.

#2 ·
should cool no problems while sitting or driving slow, its an 09 so unless you have over 36k miles it will be in warranty.

Its probably something simple, may need charging or something but that should be warrantied. I would however make sure Ford knows to CALL you before they do anything that would cost you.

Reactions: ladf1
#3 ·
with 38k if the time limit is not up they MIGHT Still cover it but I doubt it (you can ask)

its probably something simple or the system needs charging

#4 ·
Two probable causes. Low refrigerant. But that would mean you have a leek so I would get the system inspected. Or your cooling fans are not coming on. Witch would also cause your car to overheat when you come to a stop. These are the two most common problems.

Reactions: ladf1
#5 ·
It could also be the Condenser coil stopped up. ( the condenser coil is ur outside coil located right on from of the radiator) Take some water and try to clean all the bugs dirt etc. Do not spray the water to hard on the coil U do not want to bend the metal fins.

Also does it cool when driving on the highway for a while?

#7 ·
Lilmike1988 said:
It could also be the Condenser coil stopped up. ( the condenser coil is ur outside coil located right on from of the radiator) Take some water and try to clean all the bugs dirt etc. Do not spray the water to hard on the coil U do not want to bend the metal fins.

Also does it cool when driving on the highway for a while?
+1

#9 ·
The AC seems to do just fine when I drive it out out of the highway, but it has been a couple of months since I did. Thanks so much for all your help everybody. I will be taking it to the ford house and have it checked out. No shade tree mechanics in this house...darn it!

#11 ·
ladf1 said:
The AC seems to do just fine when I drive it out out of the highway, but it has been a couple of months since I did. Thanks so much for all your help everybody. I will be taking it to the ford house and have it checked out. No shade tree mechanics in this house...darn it!
Just take ur top grill off then get a water hose and nozzle and try to rinse it till it looks clean and if it still doesnt work then take it in. I would hate for u to pay for something that u don't have to.

#13 ·
Okay I got the full story just now.....the jackleg mechanic that dad thinks is the best did nothing but add freon the first time and it took him 2 days and that's all he did...then it quit working again the day we got it back and he had to flush/clean it all out....

and it's fixed......for now......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.