aftermarket warranty. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

aftermarket warranty.

I drive a 2007 mustang gt. We bought it used with no warranty so we got the GM 3 year, 30000 mile warranty extra. So to my question, I know that hand held tuners will void it, but will I be able to put it back to my stock tune to save the warranty? Or will they find out anyways?
S197Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
GM warranty? Is it because you bought it at a GM dealership or something?

Anyway, there are a bunch of posts on this type of stuff. Supposedly, if you revert to the stock tune and drive 50 miles, it'll erase the aftermarket tune from your car's memory. However, some say that Ford can always detect whether the tune has been changed or not. I think it comes down to how strict a dealership wants to be. I'm not sure how different extended warranties are from factory warranties though...

If you plan on taking it to the dealer after using an aftermarket tune, try switching to stock tune. But I would assume your warranty is at risk.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247
GM warranty? Is it because you bought it at a GM dealership or something?

Anyway, there are a bunch of posts on this type of stuff. Supposedly, if you revert to the stock tune and drive 50 miles, it'll erase the aftermarket tune from your car's memory. However, some say that Ford can always detect whether the tune has been changed or not. I think it comes down to how strict a dealership wants to be. I'm not sure how different extended warranties are from factory warranties though...

If you plan on taking it to the dealer after using an aftermarket tune, try switching to stock tune. But I would assume your warranty is at risk.
Yes it was a GM dealership.

If I call the dealership asking questions, they are just going to tell me that it will void warranty. Just to save their butts. So far I have BBK Cai, pypes o/r h pipe with borla stingers. I'm wanting more power for it, what do you know about putting headers on? Will it void or no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: aftermarket warranty.

most CAI's require a retune, you may be unsafe. Research if that specific CAI requires a tune, if it does remove the CAI until you get a tune or what ever you decide.

Most say dealers can tell if the car HAS been tuned before~ just a risk I guess you have to take.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
most CAI's require a retune, you may be unsafe. Research if that specific CAI requires a tune, if it does remove the CAI until you get a tune or what ever you decide.

Most say dealers can tell if the car HAS been tuned before~ just a risk I guess you have to take.
I've researched it. The intake I got does not require a tune. But without a tune the Cai is mostly for looks.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I.M.O I wouldn't risk it if ur using it as a daily driver and paying for it each month. That's one thing that's kinda held me back I don't want to tune my stang and something weird happens that has nothing to do with the tune and the dealership wanting to void it cause they can tell if its Ben messed with. My plan is to pay it off & if something happens to it I can afford to build a new engine with a forged bottom end so it could with stand all the beating I give it.
Lilmike1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT