Gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #1

Region: Illinois
Gears

Hello,

Had a local shop install a set of FRPP 3.55 gears in my 2008 GT (Manual). There is a really loud whine on deceleration/throttle lift that gets worse the faster I am going. The shop claims this is normal and will not go away and is probably augmented by my urethane equipped upper and lower control arms.

Is this common? I heard the FRPP gears, if installed correctly, were quiet. I heard there was SOME increased transmitted noise with the urethane bushings, but not to this extent.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
guapoapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Take it back and have them check tolerances again.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #3

Re: Gears

Thanks for reply Southern. Already had them do that and they claim its all within tolerance... am I correct that if installed correctly the FRPP gears should be as quiet as stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
I have a set of FRPP 4.10s installed, as well as FRPP's upper and lower control arms, and it's as quiet as stock. If it is a little louder, it's not enough that I can hear it over my exhaust

Grabber orange is NOT yellow!!!
dimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Had 4.10s on my 99 cobra and my 07 GT....no whine whatsoever. I would keep taking it back until they fixed it.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #6

Check out this email thread:

Morning Tom,

Did you have a chance to talk to Dan about the gear noise?

Thanks!

-------------------------------

yes. He said all we can do is put another gear in it at this point. It may not even improve anything. Solid control arms transmit a lot of noise into the cabin area, even with untouched stock gears.

-------------------------------------

Hi Tom,

So you’re saying that if I have someone else recheck the tolerance and reinstall the gears there would still be the whine?

---------------------------------------------

Yes. The gear was set up correctly.

By the way, I noticed that we never charged you for the posi unit we provided.

---------------------------------------------

Once again I’m trying to be accommodating and it’s getting me nowhere.

I will have someone else reinstall the gears. If there is no whine I will be expecting a full refund on services Speed Inc has rendered.

By the way, you already told me the posi was free and nowhere on my invoice is a posi listed =)

-------------------------------------------

Where are you being accommodating? You asked a question and I answered it. I guess you are innocent again, and never come off as condescending, and by that, I am referring to the fact that you are telling me you are going to bring it somewhere else to have it checked, and we are going to go down that road.

While we are on the subject, YES you were very accommodating when we were behind that first day you were here for the appointment, having to wait to get you in. But since you brought it up, I would call spending numerous hours attempting to solve a problem with your car, that you know wasn’t our fault from the start, without charging you is pretty damn accommodating . Then we accommodate you by supplying a substantially expensive part to fix it for you, to try and help you out. I see that was greatly appreciated.

Go ahead, have them checked, hopefully the guy is “stand up” and tells you the truth instead of what you want to hear. If he is changing the gear, and the noise goes away, then I guess we would be correct, because that is exactly what I told you needed to be done 2 emails ago.

Since you want to be cute with the smiley face, no, the freebies weren’t on the invoice you left with, but rest assured they are on another one. You supplied the gear, don’t forget that. Also don’t forget you signed the credit card slip, and theft of services is considered a crime. So is slander. I know, because my brother is an attorney and you will hear from him if you decide to take the sleezy approach.

----------------------------------

FYI they installed a used posi when they had to break my original one because they snapped the retaining pin screw...
Old 08-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Plain and simple truth of the matter is, "When installed correctly gear sets do not make noise." If gear sets are so prone to make noise why is it that you can order diffrant gear sets from the dealer when you buy your car and they don't make any noise?? Also, I know a bunch of gear installers that when they do installs there is no noise. So, either your gear set was damaged from the start or they did not install them correctly. Also, since you have been driving around on them they are now most lilkey "worn in" and can not be fixed. Even if you got a shop to correctly install them now they most likely will still make noise.
CutterWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Just wondering, were the ring and pinion NEW ? They should not whine if installed correctly. They did you a favor tho with the posi, it is not there fault that the pin broke. It is your car and when you have work done, **** happens sometime. Just like changing spark plugs, if one breaks you pay the extra labor to fix-it.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2
Just like changing spark plugs, if one breaks you pay the extra labor to fix-it.
Damn 3 valves!!! Horrible plug design

Grabber orange is NOT yellow!!!
dimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
So what ever happened to your gear situation?!
DrSalt22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT