Clutch - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Clutch

Just a typical noob question. How do you know when your clutch is going? It's my first manual car so I'm still new to it but it seems like it's bucking more than it used to. I never had a problem getting into first before but now I sometimes think it's in gear and then I speed up and it bucks...??? This has all started since I did the 93 race tune from bama. I just can't seem to consistently get a smooth start... Any help or tips on how I could get a smoother start into first would be most appreciated. The cars got 61000 miles on it with stock clutch btw....
I also don't want to go back to 87 tune because the extra power is just too fun! I think the quicker throttle response is screwing me up. I've also noticed that I have a hard time feeling the clutch engage. It catches really high too...
Any advice would be great! Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

P.S. by "going" I mean how do I know when my clutch is wearing out. Lol
eouellette18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
The bucking could be from the increased throttle response from the tune or the mods you did with your tune. Rapidly pressing and releasing the throttle to compensate for a new touchy throttle would cause that.
If your clutch is slipping, you'll notice the rpms shooting up but the car not moving as quickly as you would expect from the revs (more noise, less acceleration). You'll notice it most if you put your foot down hard, are going up hill, are in a higher gear, or a combination of those. Plus, you will definitely smell it when you get out of the car

Grabber orange is NOT yellow!!!
dimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a lot! There is no snell of burning clutch so I guess that's a good thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Clutch

Easiest way to check is to get going on a highway around 50-55 mph. With the car in high gear put your foot down on the gas. If the rpm's are climbing and the speedo isn't...it's your clutch.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. Thanks. It's not my clutch then... Lol. Any tips on how to get a smother start into first?? Should I rev it a couple times as I let out the clutch or should I just rev it to about 1500-2000 and slowly let out the clutch as i then rev it more... Again, this never used to be a problem until the 93 tunes' quicker throttle response screwed me up. Lol
Old 09-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Re: Clutch

You'll get better at it as your foot adjusts to the new throttle feeling. You don't need to rev it before you go, just the usual slowly press as you release the clutch. As long as you're not trying to go up a hill, you could try using 2nd instead of 1st to get going until you get used to it

Grabber orange is NOT yellow!!!
dimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by eouellette18
Just a typical noob question. How do you know when your clutch is going? It's my first manual car so I'm still new to it but it seems like it's bucking more than it used to. I never had a problem getting into first before but now I sometimes think it's in gear and then I speed up and it bucks...??? This has all started since I did the 93 race tune from bama. I just can't seem to consistently get a smooth start... Any help or tips on how I could get a smoother start into first would be most appreciated. The cars got 61000 miles on it with stock clutch btw....
I also don't want to go back to 87 tune because the extra power is just too fun! I think the quicker throttle response is screwing me up. I've also noticed that I have a hard time feeling the clutch engage. It catches really high too...
Any advice would be great! Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

P.S. by "going" I mean how do I know when my clutch is wearing out. Lol
Lol!!! Its a race tune! Its saposed to buck and kick u in the pants! Take it to a track and post ur time hear. I was thinking of getting the chip installed how is it let me know!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The 93 race tube is definitely a lot more aggressive! The car becomes a completely different animal! I highly recommend it! Best mod I've done so far... Even if I'm still getting used to it! Lol
Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Thats bama right? I really wanna do it (get the chip) but i also want to buy my forged rotating stroker assembly (for 351) right now to. What to do what to do!!!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It is bama but honestly I'd go with the striker assembly right now... That's what I would do... Lol

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

*stroker assembly... Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT