Detail Secret - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #36
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: Detail Secret

On a basic detail I start out by inspecting the inside of the car, I do this to make sure All large derbies are picked up, coins look for stains, etc.
2. Vacuum the carpets and seats thoroughly, make note of any stains I didn't see the 1st time.
3. Treat stains with stain fighter.

4. Leather Clean and condition seats and door panels. Lexol products here.

5. Shampoo, I have to be careful because my Bissell proheat doesn't always pick all the detergent out of the carpet. So It takes a while. Would like an extractor one day.

6. Wipe down dash and console including steering wheel and vents at this point I wipe up any shampoo left over on inside panels.

7. Start on outside prepare bucket by rinsing several times to remove derbies. I also use a grit guard and a home depot bucket. 15 bucks max. Prepare supplies. If only inside clean windows.

8-9 Start with wheels 1st I spray with water then saturate with Hi-temp wheel cleaner. Only one side at a time. Soft brush on wheels and tires then wipe wheel well and clean inside of rims with a Daytona speed master brush. Rinse wheel area well. Clean off brush and repeat for each wheel. 9.Treat bugs tar with heavy duty orange all purpose cleaner and bugs,tar and sap block. (It will remove wax.) Rinse off well.

10. Rinse the car well from top to bottom. Shampoo exterior with Ph. Balanced shampoo (to ensure no soap marks) I've been using Meguiares gold, but am switching to Hi-temp bubbling suds. Repeat all the way around starting with roof working downwards. Clean all jambs in process. 11. Rinse off by sheeting then dry with absorber and soft terry cotton cloth. 12. Hi-temp Fast cut-remove, 13. Wax-Hi-temps Bahama momma wax remove, 14. Clean windows. 15. Deliver car to happy customer. I use much the same process on mine except I do different things at different times. Usually wax 2x's a year. Wash every 2 weeks. Leather clean/ condition quarterly. Carpets bi-yearly. Floor Mats Yearly, or whenever they look dirty.
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #37
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

I never understand why people start with the wheels before the exterior. You are just rinsing all that grime rights back on your wheels. Top to bottom IMO.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #38
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
I never understand why people start with the wheels before the exterior. You are just rinsing all that grime rights back on your wheels. Top to bottom IMO.
Well if you start the wheels last your getting the crud all over the paint you just washed. You and I and most people here probably keep our wheels so clean we could eat off them. But when you have a car that has chrome wheels that are black from brake dust the last thing you want to do is clean em off when the paint is clean. I usually re-rinse the wheels and damp dry them then re-dry with a dry cloth.
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
i clean wheels 1st and then wash.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Skype™ to JetWolf

hmmmm. i now realize i actually could eat off my car..

next summer were going to try to bake cookies inside of the stallion! woohoo!
pony cookies!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

im a smoker so i need air freshner and i pull them because of that also. and my daughter likes to throw chips and crap. and mustang love lol
Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetWolf
How did you know i would read this?

rinse
armor all scrub x2
rinse
towel dry or blow dry
microfiber touch up
showtime detailer
invisible glass exterior
armor all tires
cali king fluffy duster thing
orange blaze rims
q-tip emblems, grille, rims, and hood pins
orange blaze interior scrub down
vacuum
microfiber & inv glass interior
whatever wax i have lying around (if needed)
WD40 lights & plastic exterior
restore any worn parts
armor all engine
touch up rims/grille with airbrush
one more look over with microfiber/showtime & q-tips

and well.. thats done multiple times every week!
What do you mean by wd40 lights and plastic exterior? What is that supposed to do??
eouellette18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eouellette18 View Post
What do you mean by wd40 lights and plastic exterior? What is that supposed to do??
WD40 makes your lights nice and shiny and keeps grime off of them. I run it over the plastic (such as that strip right where the windshield washers are) so it gives it a rich black look instead of faded from age.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

WD40 makes your lights nice and shiny and keeps grime off of them. I run it over the plastic (such as that strip right where the windshield washers are) so it gives it a rich black look instead of faded from age.
im gonna have to try that
Old 10-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00STANG00 View Post
im gonna have to try that
Works really well, totally changes the look of your lights especially stock (non painted like mine).
Old 10-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

i have smoked head lights and rear light covers. does the same thing?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #47
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Well if you start the wheels last your getting the crud all over the paint you just washed. You and I and most people here probably keep our wheels so clean we could eat off them. But when you have a car that has chrome wheels that are black from brake dust the last thing you want to do is clean em off when the paint is clean. I usually re-rinse the wheels and damp dry them then re-dry with a dry cloth.

Doesnt happen if you do it right. You dont have to power wash the wheels or even spray them hard with a hose. If you maintain your wheels like you maintain your paint then a light "shower" will work just fine. I never even get a overspray while doing mine. Ive had many chrome wheels (now black) and I would never let them get close to the point of being black. Like I said Im a little OCD......If a bird craps on my car or a bug splatters on the window I will pull over and take care of it,lol.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

damn lol
Old 10-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #49
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00STANG00 View Post
damn lol

A bug splatter is ok to let go but a bird turd will bake on your paint and stain big time. I think its important to get those bird turds off ASAP,think about what those nasty ****ers eat and the **** they have inside them to break down all the nasty crap they eat.........flying rats.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A bug splatter is ok to let go but a bird turd will bake on your paint and stain big time. I think its important to get those bird turds off ASAP,think about what those nasty ****ers eat and the **** they have inside them to break down all the nasty crap they eat.........flying rats.
lol you have a good point haha
Old 10-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Doesnt happen if you do it right. You dont have to power wash the wheels or even spray them hard with a hose. If you maintain your wheels like you maintain your paint then a light "shower" will work just fine. I never even get a overspray while doing mine. Ive had many chrome wheels (now black) and I would never let them get close to the point of being black. Like I said Im a little OCD......If a bird craps on my car or a bug splatters on the window I will pull over and take care of it,lol.
Oh man i do the same thing! a bird crapped on my spoiler last week and i smudged it off when it was still fresh, then sprayed it with showtime. haha!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Flat black the fender wells. Remove the wheel, tape and paper the fender, cover the brakes, paint the well. Let it sit about 20 mins and reassemble.
Don't be lazy and try to leave the wheel on. If you've never done this you will be amazed at the difference.
If your car isn't lowered you'll really notice, and if you have an open style wheel it shows.. If your wheels are chrome it makes them jump off the car at you even more! It's one of those things you see but don't notice. To me it makes a car that's 'clean' look new..
Old 10-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford
On a basic detail I start out by inspecting the inside of the car, I do this to make sure All large derbies are picked up, coins look for stains, etc.
2. Vacuum the carpets and seats thoroughly, make note of any stains I didn't see the 1st time.
3. Treat stains with stain fighter.

4. Leather Clean and condition seats and door panels. Lexol products here.

5. Shampoo, I have to be careful because my Bissell proheat doesn't always pick all the detergent out of the carpet. So It takes a while. Would like an extractor one day.

6. Wipe down dash and console including steering wheel and vents at this point I wipe up any shampoo left over on inside panels.

7. Start on outside prepare bucket by rinsing several times to remove derbies. I also use a grit guard and a home depot bucket. 15 bucks max. Prepare supplies. If only inside clean windows.

8-9 Start with wheels 1st I spray with water then saturate with Hi-temp wheel cleaner. Only one side at a time. Soft brush on wheels and tires then wipe wheel well and clean inside of rims with a Daytona speed master brush. Rinse wheel area well. Clean off brush and repeat for each wheel. 9.Treat bugs tar with heavy duty orange all purpose cleaner and bugs,tar and sap block. (It will remove wax.) Rinse off well.

10. Rinse the car well from top to bottom. Shampoo exterior with Ph. Balanced shampoo (to ensure no soap marks) I've been using Meguiares gold, but am switching to Hi-temp bubbling suds. Repeat all the way around starting with roof working downwards. Clean all jambs in process. 11. Rinse off by sheeting then dry with absorber and soft terry cotton cloth. 12. Hi-temp Fast cut-remove, 13. Wax-Hi-temps Bahama momma wax remove, 14. Clean windows. 15. Deliver car to happy customer. I use much the same process on mine except I do different things at different times. Usually wax 2x's a year. Wash every 2 weeks. Leather clean/ condition quarterly. Carpets bi-yearly. Floor Mats Yearly, or whenever they look dirty.
Ph balanced hair shampoo...does that work?
OmegaRedGT 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #54
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Flat black the fender wells. Remove the wheel, tape and paper the fender, cover the brakes, paint the well. Let it sit about 20 mins and reassemble.
Don't be lazy and try to leave the wheel on. If you've never done this you will be amazed at the difference.
If your car isn't lowered you'll really notice, and if you have an open style wheel it shows.. If your wheels are chrome it makes them jump off the car at you even more! It's one of those things you see but don't notice. To me it makes a car that's 'clean' look new..
Great point,this is something that alot of people tend to overlook. If you already have clean wheel wells then you can use some dressing to shine them up. Treat them like your paint or wheels.I use dressing on the undercarriage in the rear to make it look brand new. Next time you are driving behind a nice clean ride at night and your lights shine on their *** end look how dirty it looks under there then think about your own dirty ***........now go wipe it!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #55
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRedGT 2007 View Post
Ph balanced hair shampoo...does that work?
I wouldn't use it.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

I wouldn't use it.
me either
Old 10-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I know we all keep our ponies clean here but just wanted to say don't let bugs build up on the bumpers they are acidic and can cause imperfections in your paint. Also back to the shampooing at a detail place when we got vehicles in horrible shape like repos we would take everything out and pressure wash the interior and then pressure wash the seats. Pretty funny imo.
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #58
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GT88
I know we all keep our ponies clean here but just wanted to say don't let bugs build up on the bumpers they are acidic and can cause imperfections in your paint. Also back to the shampooing at a detail place when we got vehicles in horrible shape like repos we would take everything out and pressure wash the interior and then pressure wash the seats. Pretty funny imo.
That's crazy.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmmmm that's a good idea , there is a pressure washer at my school.. might just put it to use!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

LamO!! Pressure washer
Old 10-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #61
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetWolf View Post
Hmmmm that's a good idea , there is a pressure washer at my school.. might just put it to use!
Pressure washer for your car is not good IMO. From the look of it,it looks pretty clean so I imagine the interior doesnt look to bad. Pressure washer will put alot of water under that carpet which could lead to rust issues.Pressure washer method is for turds....which yours is not.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Pressure washer for your car is not good IMO. From the look of it,it looks pretty clean so I imagine the interior doesnt look to bad. Pressure washer will put alot of water under that carpet which could lead to rust issues.Pressure washer method is for turds....which yours is not.
I was just going to use it on the seats, my interior is already immaculate
Old 10-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

JDuD dont do it!!! Please nooooo
Old 10-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRedGT 2007
JDuD dont do it!!! Please nooooo
Okay okayyy I wont do it. Getting racing seats anyway
Old 10-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #65
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Okay okayyy I wont do it. Getting racing seats anyway
Do it, DO IT NOW!!!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Do it, DO IT NOW!!!
i was supposed to have them in september, but the price for shipping was absolutely outrageous!!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Yeh please don't pressure wash your seats only as a final option haha ok
Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeh please don't pressure wash your seats only as a final option haha ok
thats why they make carpet cleaner
Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #69
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

Wouldn't that be like flooding to the car?

Why not just take the seats out and shampoo the carpets with a commercial extractor? Just curious.. never heard of pressure washing the inside.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Yes Its not common to pressure wash the interior. I was just stating something funny we did At work on horrible condition cars. We would take everything out and pressure wash the carpet and then the seats and then use an extractor. Imagine a big van that looked like it was pulled from the bottom of a river. A dealer would buy it at an auction and bring.it.to us and want it fully detailed and that was the best method. It was hilarious having a hi power pressure washer cleaning though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT