My impression and review of my 2005 gt premium - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My impression and review of my 2005 gt premium

This is the 5th mustang I have had the pleasure of owning and just wanted to share my thoughts on it. .....Whats great: I love the style and look of the interior and the body. seats are comfortable even the rear is reasonably nise to sit in once you climb your way back there. Love the aluminum dash strictly my preference tho, handling is noticeably better than the 94-04 chassis so way to go ford on the redesign. As far as drive train goes it seems to be pretty durable, I have given it every fair reason in the world to fail me due to serious horseplay on my part and it has done great .....Whats wrong: The hard plastic dash in the 05 rattles and vibrates when its in the mood to do so, I dont care for the feel of the 5 speed tranny it just feels kind of numb due to all the extra cabling they added for placement, the motor delivers great power but makes some unusual noises even though everyone says nothings wrong with it, the interior in the 05 has way to much plastic compared to my older mustangs I wish quality control would have kicked someone in the butt and said hey its a mustang not a Kia lets fix this, The rear badge on the trunk that says GT always seems to collect water when it rains and will retain it some how ...you will open the trunk on your perfectly dry mustang and lots of water will leek out of the cap and right down onto your shaker 1000 subwoofer in the trunk, 6 years old and I have an electrical issue with the door locks ..they refuse to lock no matter what button you push but will unlock. In conclusion I LOVE MY CAR!!!! I know that its best not to buy the first batch of a new design and thats what I have.... one of the first! therefore I cut this boulevard bully some slack. in short the 05 is a pure preformer with looks even your grandmother could love, yeah its a little ruff around the edges, but nothing that the 300 hp cant take care of.
bryanbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Re: My impression and review of my 2005 gt premium

Buy an aftermarket shifter....now....

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have considered that and will eventually do that. I want something that looks stock possibly a short throw with stock knob and shifter boot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Owned a 05 & 07 and never heard my dash rattle once,never heard any strange motor noises,never had a issue with water coming in the trunk. Only thing I experienced on the 05 was when filling up with gas it would cut the pump off constantly like there was something stuck in the neck to the tank.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

haha it does that too! and the funny part is that this car is in mint condition. not a single paint scratch, clean as all get out, no mods other than some what I would call minor exhuast, heck the car still smells brand new. maybe your 05 was built a little later than mine. but who knows
Old 10-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav View Post
Buy an aftermarket shifter....now....
Lol after my dad drove my car with a pro 5.0 shifter in it he really wants a short throw in his 08
Old 10-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

The shifter should be the FIRST mod on a '05-'10 Mustang. It's an easy job, and there are some really nice ones out there. I have had 2 2007's, and never had a rattle or issue of any kind that was related to Ford. I have had some problems with aftermarket stuff, however.
sinister07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

A Hurst short throw can use the stock boot and knob... Almost any aftermarket shifter will be an improvement... It can make a big difference. I have used a Tri-ax, a Hurst and a Roush, on my cars(two 05's and an 07), all short throw, all excellent shifters....

Old 10-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

they are really nice cars, I have driven my friends 08 gt a good bit before he sold it, without a doubt under powered by a good bit but they are nice otherwise.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

yeah that 300 hp is nothing compared to the 390hp that your cobra was born with, let alone the mods. But in the cars defense 300hp was the most power thrown into a stock Mustang Gt to that date. Now its like 400 in the new 5.0 ...I say the golden age of the muscle car really is now, with all the restrictions automakers are facing in a short time say 20 years you will see proud new owners of their brand new supercharged hybrid 4cylinder mustang gt's lol Guess our old V8 GT's will go way way up in value as it gets harder to legally produce these brutes!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I am sorry but I don't feel these cars are in any way underpowered. They are impressive leap over the previous generation of GT... and with just a couple mods, they are pretty quick...

Old 10-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Smile Re: My impression and review of my 2005 gt premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanbrock View Post
I have considered that and will eventually do that. I want something that looks stock possibly a short throw with stock knob and shifter boot
you will love that ...
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have the shifter shaft that adapts the Hurst to a stock knob around here somewhere...

Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Quote:
yeah that 300 hp is nothing compared to the 390hp that your cobra was born with, let alone the mods. But in the cars defense 300hp was the most power thrown into a stock Mustang Gt to that date. Now its like 400 in the new 5.0 ...I say the golden age of the muscle car really is now, with all the restrictions automakers are facing in a short time say 20 years you will see proud new owners of their brand new supercharged hybrid 4cylinder mustang gt's lol Guess our old V8 GT's will go way way up in value as it gets harder to legally produce these brutes!
Quote:
I am sorry but I don't feel these cars are in any way underpowered. They are impressive leap over the previous generation of GT... and with just a couple mods, they are pretty quick...
while I agree that 300hp is not bad, for 2005 the market had many 300hp V6's... the 4.6L V8 should have had at least 350hp. Thats mainly why I say they were under powered just based on comparisons.. .they really didnt have any direct competition so I feel Ford decided to do what they did.

Back in 06 the main reason I didnt even consider an 05+ GT was due to only 300hp, which had already been in the Mustang since the 96 Cobra and was only 40 more than the 04 GT.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

yeah I agree with you and had thought of the same thing. Ford knew that they had to produce something that would be another step ahead of what they had all ready made so they put just enough engineering into it to give those GT lovers a taste of old cobra but did not go the extra mile to make it kick @SS due to lack of competition because by that time they had dominated the pony car market and felt they did not need to waist money in the motor development department to make it what it could have been. And what a change of story now with GT's pushing past 400hp and V6 pony's putting out 300hp now that ford has been challenged and feels its time to step up to the plate again. I have to egmit it does make me feel a little ripped off every time I look at one of those new v6 stangs knowing they have the same power rating. but it is what it is
Old 10-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Competition does improve the game....
sinister07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanbrock
yeah I agree with you and had thought of the same thing. Ford knew that they had to produce something that would be another step ahead of what they had all ready made so they put just enough engineering into it to give those GT lovers a taste of old cobra but did not go the extra mile to make it kick @SS due to lack of competition because by that time they had dominated the pony car market and felt they did not need to waist money in the motor development department to make it what it could have been. And what a change of story now with GT's pushing past 400hp and V6 pony's putting out 300hp now that ford has been challenged and feels its time to step up to the plate again. I have to egmit it does make me feel a little ripped off every time I look at one of those new v6 stangs knowing they have the same power rating. but it is what it is
But ours sound better!!! I test drove the new v6 but the way I'm built I couldn't handle the sound of it...
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
while I agree that 300hp is not bad, for 2005 the market had many 300hp V6's... the 4.6L V8 should have had at least 350hp. Thats mainly why I say they were under powered just based on comparisons.. .they really didnt have any direct competition so I feel Ford decided to do what they did.

Back in 06 the main reason I didnt even consider an 05+ GT was due to only 300hp, which had already been in the Mustang since the 96 Cobra and was only 40 more than the 04 GT.
I understand what you are saying completely.

I went from an almost stock 99 GT, to a lightly modded 05 GT, then another 05 slightly more modded GT and then a 427R, so the power progression for me has always gone up. I drive our 05 GT occasionally, and it still is a fun car to drive for me, even though the Roush is decidedly more exciting. When the 05 GT came out, it was a big improvement, it wasn't just 40 hp, that power was also spread farther over the rpm band. Variable valve timing gives these cars considerable more umph in the bottom end than the previous 2 valve 4.6 Mustangs, making them feel like something larger than a 281 cubic inch engine...

They respond well to mods, parts are plentiful and cheap, they are surpassed by the new 5.0 so they are becoming much more affordable... jmho

Old 10-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqsmash View Post
But ours sound better!!! I test drove the new v6 but the way I'm built I couldn't handle the sound of it...
I have to agree! our torque raiting is way better too if im not mistaken.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote:
I understand what you are saying completely.

I went from an almost stock 99 GT, to a lightly modded 05 GT, then another 05 slightly more modded GT and then a 427R, so the power progression for me has always gone up. I drive our 05 GT occasionally, and it still is a fun car to drive for me, even though the Roush is decidedly more exciting. When the 05 GT came out, it was a big improvement, it wasn't just 40 hp, that power was also spread farther over the rpm band. Variable valve timing gives these cars considerable more umph in the bottom end than the previous 2 valve 4.6 Mustangs, making them feel like something larger than a 281 cubic inch engine...

They respond well to mods, parts are plentiful and cheap, they are surpassed by the new 5.0 so they are becoming much more affordable... jmho
ok question. with out supercharging or adding nos. what improvements are the best for your buck. like maybe get to 350 horse out of it. right now I just have full slp exhaust but nothing else
Old 10-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #20
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I have to agree! our torque raiting is way better too if im not mistaken.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

ok question. with out supercharging or adding nos. what improvements are the best for your buck. like maybe get to 350 horse out of it. right now I just have full slp exhaust but nothing else
Add CAI,tune and cams and you will be close if not there.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT