Mustang Evolution Forum banner

3:55 Gears vs 3:73 gears

22K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  08 Bullitt 
#1 ·
I swapped gears thinking they were stock and later found out they weren't stock. They had been upgraded to 3:55. I had decided on 3:73 because I will be installing a Whipple SC. Was this a good choice or waste of money?

#2 ·
What year is the car & was it an automatic or standard? The stock ratio for 05 & 06 is 3.55's...I believe in 2007 they made 3.27's standard on automatic's & 3.55's standard on manual's. My transition year may be off, but the stock gears are either 3.27 or 3.55.

That being said, the "seat of the pants" difference between 3.73's & 3.55's will be minimal, but the 3.73's will result in slightly better acceleration. The 3.73's will ultimately be better however if go forced induction.

I probably would have gone with a 3.73 or 3.90 gear if I were planning to go forced induction, so your choice wasn't a "bad" one really.

#4 ·
Stock gears on a GT is 3:31 although there was an option for 3:55

#5 ·
I've had them now for a few days. Still taking it easy, but I hear a bit of a humming when I let off on the gas. I hear it more in 4th and 5th. It's not bad, just different than before the gear change. Not as smooth as before and wondering if this is normal?

#6 ·
That has to do with your gear backlash. I wanna say that means that it doesn't have enough backlash, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd say if the problem continues then take it back to whoever installed them and have them fix it.

The driveline guy at my work always says "better to hear it rather than smell it"

#8 ·
There is a Link, that you can log into and print out the original Window Sticker that came with your car Brand New. I'm sorry but I don't have or remember the starting Link, that had it. My car is a 07 GT and it's original gears were 3:31, which I changed to 4:10. The Orig. window sticker showes you what gears and what came on your car. Maybe someone else here has that link, so you can pull up your original car sticker.

#11 ·
Thanks! I went with the 3:73 gears111 as recommended by the performance shop that will be installing the Whipple. I notice a difference from 3:55 so I can imagine the 4:10's being real fun. I can't wait to get the Whipple. I haven't quite figured who has the best price.

#12 ·
I have 4.20's in my manual 07 GT. GREAT off the line but can tell there is a loss of acceleration when I downshift and stomp at higher speeds. Still beats the heck out my older '99 Hands Accord! ?

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

*Honda

#13 · (Edited)
Personally, I'd go with 3.27s with an SC since the point of the SC is to have additional HP to go faster. But choice of gearing depends entirely on what you want to do with the car. If it's a daily driver I'd definitely go with 3.27s, no more than 3.55s for sure. If you're gonna race it in the quarter and nothing else that's when the 3.73s and up make more sense.

#15 ·
I got 3.73's with my blower. It's a pain in the rain as I will spin wheels in 4th gear if I hit it too hard. There is quite a difference between the 3.73 & 3.55 (my car came with 3.55's), at least with the blower.

#16 ·
I went with 4.10's from 3.55's. Can't wait for a whipple and forged motor ;). Car is my DD, race car, somewhat of a show car lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.