2005 gt cluster gauge repair... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Smile 2005 gt cluster gauge repair...

Hi. I'm new here and I have a question about cluster gauge in 2005 gt...

I have premium gauge so it has 6 gauges in their...

When I bought this car.. only the fuel gauge was broken but now the fuel

gauge is comeback and the Temperature gague and RPM gauge is gone...

I think that is not a gauge problem but an electrical problem..

You guys have problems like this? or any clue??

please let me know... Thank you!
jmpark527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT
Re: 2005 gt cluster gauge repair...

I had a similar problem & it was the guage cluster. However, mine started with the speedo, then the temp, then battery, then fuel. The only still working in the end was the Tach. As I recall, it was about 800 to replace the guage pod thru the dealership.

I should add though that 05's have been known to have electrical issues, so it could be an electrical issue of some kind that slowly burnt the cluster out. I never looked any further than replacing the cluster since the cluster was definitely the problem, but I never got an answer as to why it went bad in the 1st place.
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh... Thats too much.. Is it costs that much?? I thought only i have to do was just replacr the gauge motors. ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #4

Region: Florida

I have 2005 V-6 that the temperture gauge at first went directly to HOT. It then went completely in a circle. The gauge could not be changed out seperately and could only be changed out as a cluster. I toyed with the idea of just changing out the temp gauge and mount it in an inconspicuous area but the wife didn't like that besides the service manager said the other gauges in the cluster would soon fail as well. The bill was almost $800 with no explananation from Ford.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

this aggervates me! ford needs to have a little class and address these issues for us. From what I understand the 05 is an electrical nightmare. lets just go down the list of common 05 electrical problems shall we....... 1. the alternator fails at will, 2. electric windows work when they want too, 3. door locks unlock but you better go old school to lock them because they will not lock, 4. Batterie did explode in mine at one point, 5. gauge cluster apparently fails at will.... im sure theirs others but thats all I can think of.
bryanbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #6

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpark527
Hi. I'm new here and I have a question about cluster gauge in 2005 gt...

I have premium gauge so it has 6 gauges in their...

When I bought this car.. only the fuel gauge was broken but now the fuel

gauge is comeback and the Temperature gague and RPM gauge is gone...

I think that is not a gauge problem but an electrical problem..

You guys have problems like this? or any clue??

please let me know... Thank you!
My Solutions

menriquepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oh,, many bros have same problem with me...
Should we have to complain to Ford??

Besides, I saw the that Video at Youtube... Thanks anyway!!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #8

Price is about right according to the other post. My 05 gt is at the dealer now getting a new cluster replaced. ( the temp gauge just died after I got its 20k tune up done) I wanted to blame them , but they say it was a coincidence go figure. Anyhow, its 675 plus tax for the new cluster
Smokeybonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

where can i buy that one?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
There's a guy on EBay who you can send your cluster too and he'll fix if. I forget exactly what he charges- it's around $150 I think- I will try to find that info and post it.
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I think they should man up and issue some darn recalls! I have never owned a more problem prone mustang ever... and this is my 5th mustang. I think part of the problem is that they designed and released the s197 at a point when they were facing serious financial hardship, Also the fact that they closed the Deerbourn assembly line whare the mustang had been made for 40 years and started making it at AutoAlliance International along side the mazda 6 probably added to the confusion of things and ruined the overall quality at first.
bryanbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

But i think the repair man on ebay can only replacing the motor in the gauge!! I think the whole electrical problem wont be fixed by him..
Old 11-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

A little off topic. I don't have the premium gauge pod. If I get one can I just plug it in to the harness and it will work or do I need additional sensors?
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #14

For anyone that hasn't experienced this and one day notices one of the gauges either not responding or in my case the temp gauge going in complete circles be advised these gauges are part of a cluster and when ford tells u the cost to replace you know you have been cluster -------.
It may be worth considering an extending an extended warranty. At least you'll get something out of the deal
Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I think i can go with it.. I dont have extra money to buy warranty stuff..
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanbrock View Post
this aggervates me! ford needs to have a little class and address these issues for us. From what I understand the 05 is an electrical nightmare. lets just go down the list of common 05 electrical problems shall we....... 1. the alternator fails at will, 2. electric windows work when they want too, 3. door locks unlock but you better go old school to lock them because they will not lock, 4. Batterie did explode in mine at one point, 5. gauge cluster apparently fails at will.... im sure theirs others but thats all I can think of.
For what it's worth, I've had 4 out of the 5 above issues.

1. I replaced the alternator 2 weeks ago @ 60K miles
2. The automatic windows work when they want to
4. I replaced the factory battery at 40K miles & its replacement battery @ 60K miles w/ the alternator
5. I replaced the guage cluster last February/March.

Mine was one of the earlier built 05's and has been beat on pretty handily in 7 years. I've been using it predominantly as a track/autox car for the past 4+ years.
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby
For anyone that hasn't experienced this and one day notices one of the gauges either not responding or in my case the temp gauge going in complete circles be advised these gauges are part of a cluster and when ford tells u the cost to replace you know you have been cluster -------.
It may be worth considering an extending an extended warranty. At least you'll get something out of the deal
Um... Check before you get the extended warranty. When my last 05 Mustang had this issue (2 weeks after I drove it off the lot!! - used) But I bought the ESP Basecare warranty and when I came back 2 weeks later, the stealership told me 1. The gauge cluster was not covered under the extended warranty, 2. It was going to run me between 700-800 to fix it, 3. Even though the car had been in my possession less than 14 days it was my problem now.

Nice huh? Universal Ford in Richmond, VA - never again.
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
Old 11-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Okay.. Thank you for your genuine concern haha... I will not buy the warranty because i usually dont cover that kind of problem....
Old 11-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #19

Sorry guys, just looking for a way around this. Unless you're going the u tube route ford is really going to hit u hard for the cluster

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

This problem seem to be bigger than any of us thought. From what I see this seems to affect 2005 gt and V-6 models
Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

There's a guy online called "Dr. Speedometer" who will rebuild your gauge cluster for under 200 bucks. You have to remove it and mail it to them but that's better than paying Ford 800 bucks to replace it.

The website makes it look like they only do GM's but they started working on 05 Mustang clusters at the beggining of this year.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinuf
There's a guy online called "Dr. Speedometer" who will rebuild your gauge cluster for under 200 bucks. You have to remove it and mail it to them but that's better than paying Ford 800 bucks to replace it.

The website makes it look like they only do GM's but they started working on 05 Mustang clusters at the beggining of this year.
Do you know anyone who has done this and did it work?
And this is an outrageously dumb question, but once the cluster is pulled out and sent to this guy- I'm guessing the whole process takes a couple weeks- is the car drivable? Obviously you wouldn't have gauges, but could you still get around at all? I only have the Stang so my options are limited.

My oil pressure gauge went yesterday.... So now there's that, and the temp gauge that don't work.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Thats what i want ti know!!
Is it possible without cluster gauge? I think i cant even fire.. Haha..
Old 11-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have a friend who owns a Chevy Avalanche. She found out the hard way that their gauges are VERY prone to going out. Chevy wanted $1800 to replace and program a new cluster. I found a guy here in Bakersfield that rebuilt her original cluster for $150, and he can do it in an hour. He does Mustangs, too. If you want, I'll get a phone number and PM you.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #24

Region: North Carolina

I'm new to this forum, but have experience with the gauge cluster issues you are having. My '05 GT cluster started failing around 34,000 miles. My temp gauge went first it would work one day and not the next. I filled up the gas tank and the gauge went well past full it would vary day to day. The oil gauge dropped like a rock at around 6k rpms, shut down ! Started again and it was reading correctly. I also found the cluster gauges were making a louder noise than usual when going to "zero" when shutting down.

The cause turned out to be bad"stepper motors"....they are known to be defective on the 2005 models. There is an upgraded motor available that fixes this issue. I found mine at digitalguy_1@charter.net if you are handy with a soldering iron you can replace all the steppers in under 2 hours. Maybe more if you are not that handy.

There are several guys on E-BAY listing this stuff, you can also find a good video posted on one of the forums(don't remember the forum).Just google "ford mustang stepper motors" there will be quite a few references posted.

Good luck!
Billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #25

Thanks....good info. Will save our fellow mustang owners a lot of money
Old 11-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #26

Region: North Carolina

Here is an image of a stepper motor. Depending on your cluster you will find 4 or 6 of them. They are not expensive, less than 50.00 for all of them. Replace them all. They are small, around two inches in diameter de-solder 4 pins on each unit and then solder in the new one.

Name:   stepper.jpg
Views: 5988
Size:  3.7 KB
Billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #27

There's a good video on u tube of a guy changing out these motors. Requires minimal skills with a soldering iron. I wish I had this info before I let Ford do it.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you guys!
Old 11-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #29

Region: South Carolina
I had my cluster rebuilt from a guy on ebay . yes you can still drive car without cluster
bikerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #30

The job isn't bad. Just need to desolder 4 pins on each motor and gently rock them loose. Take your time and everything will go very easy. Here are a few pics of what it looks like opened up. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448467427539.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	194039   Click image for larger version

Name:	1448467487117.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	194040  

david715 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT