05 Door panels - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #1

Region: Texas
05 Door panels

My 05 GT's vinyl door panels are peeling off. I heard this was common on 05's, what should I use to glue them back up? They are not peeled off completely and I tried using 3M spray adhesive like the Autozone guy told me to but they are peeling again. What to do??
indigowolf2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Same problem on my driver door. Tried regluing it but it only stayed for about a day. Couldn't find anything to work so I figured I would just have it fixed by an apholstery place.

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #3

Someone told me to use contact cement but I don't want it to ruin the vinyl. Was it expensive when you had it redone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I havent had it redone yet so im not sure. It shouldn't be that expensive though. It's not hard to do.

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #5

Cool, thanks for the advice
Old 11-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
It is common. My two girl best friends have 05-06 GTs. My friend Danielle used 3M spray adhesive to the back and flattened it out carefully.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
I'll get more info from her!

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Re: 05 Door panels

3M High Tack #76
S281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT
Re: 05 Door panels

I had it happen about 6 months ago. I used an epoxy adhesive to put it back in place. I don't remember the brand offhand though, but I believe it was like B2000 or something like that. I will look next time I am down in the garage.

One thing you have to be careful of doing it yourself is to make sure whatever adhesive used is applied evenly or you will end up with bumps/bulges in the vinyl from where there are clumbs of adhesive.
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #10

I tried that contact cement today and it didn't work for s#!t. I followed the directions exactly and it barely stuck. I will try the suggestions everyone is giving me but I may just have to completely replace them. Thank you to everyone's ideas.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Really common with the 05s- I know of probably 50+ people with this issue, including myself. Short of having it professionally fixed, the best thing I have found is to get a tube of Liquid Nails, and a scraper, like you'd use to apply vinyl graphics. Make sure the edge can push into the space between the edge of the vinyl and the door. Use a plastic knife to apply a strip of the Liquid Nails along the edge of vinyl. If you want you can also hit the whole panel with the 3M spray so it doesn't bulge out in spots. Oh - crucial- get any gunk, junk, foam, whatever is stuck to the edge of the vinyl OFF make sure surfaces are clean. Let it sit for a couple minutes exposed to air so it gets tacky, then carefully push the vinyl into place. then you use the scraper to tuck the edges firmly into place. Go over it a couple times with the scraper, and apply downward pressure so the cement contacts the door as far down into that crack as possible.

I did mine this way a couple months ago and it's still holding.
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The 1 suggestion I can think of is find a wrecked car and pulling the door cards from that car for your car. Possibly from a newer model year.
Always broke is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT