Strut Tower Brace - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Strut Tower Brace

I have one of the Ford plenum covers over my engine (05 GT v8) and bought a strut bar off a member from another forum. I put it on yesterday and am wondering how snug it should come down over the engine/cover. It's tighter in the back than the front, as far as clearing the cover- but I didn't know if the brace bar should just be touching the engine/cover, or if it should be cranked down on there pretty good. I tried to get it somewhere in between- firm but not too tight. Never done it before, so just checking.
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
The Strut Tower Brace Bar should not touch the engine at all. It's meant to join to two strut towers together thus strengthening the rigidness of your suspension.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
The Strut Tower Brace Bar should not touch the engine at all. It's meant to join to two strut towers together thus strengthening the rigidness of your suspension.
Crap... So is that really bad that it touches?
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT
Re: Strut Tower Brace

The plenum cover is purely cosmetic, so the struct bar touching it doesn't really matter for typical street driving conditions. However, if you are doing any severe driving or cornering in which the frame will get a lot of flex, then the stress on the strut bar could crack the plenum cover. Again, since the plenum is only cosmetic, it won't cause any issues with how the car runs, but you could end up with some ugly cracks in the cover.
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

If you are having clearance issues, you might be able to use a few washers to raise your strut tower bar.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
If you are having clearance issues, you might be able to use a few washers to raise your strut tower bar.
That is a killer idea! Thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: Strut Tower Brace

A couple of flat washers under the rear two studs will usually do the trick. Don't overdo it, though- you might have hood closing issues.
sinister07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I have the Scott Drake STB and it clears by at lease a 1/4 inch. Check to be sure the plenum cover is seated all the way down in rear. Do you have a two hole or four hole brace?
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRob504
I have the Scott Drake STB and it clears by at lease a 1/4 inch. Check to be sure the plenum cover is seated all the way down in rear. Do you have a two hole or four hole brace?
2 hole. For now I took the plenum cover off- and it looks like there's tons of room. So weird.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRob504
Who makes a 4 hole brace? I want!
Old 11-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Here is a link http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dra...-2010/p/STB99/
This will clear the plenum cover
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT