CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #1

Region: Arizona
CAI

Hey all,

I had a '91 GT back in the day and knew everything about that motor and how it responded to mods; but I've been out of the Mustang scene for a decade at least.

Just bought an '07 California Special Mustang GT. Car had 74k miles and 2 prior owners. Saw a pic of the engine prior to purchase and it had a Ford Racing CAI on it, but when I got to the dealer it had been removed. Dealer said the engine idiot light had been on and the car would not pass emissions. The only way they could get it to turn off was to revert the air intake to stock. They didn't have the CAI.

They delivered it to my home and after the salesman left I found an SCT tuner in the back seat. To the best of my knowledge, Ford Racing CAIs do not come with SCT tuners. Can I buy any CAI from any company and use the SCT tuner that came with the car? Or do I have to buy a new tuner along with a new CAI? Will adding a CAI to this motor make the the engine idiot light come on? I've heard that there are 2 chips that need to be tuned..

Also, I believe the ad for the car mentioned that it had underdrive pulleys installed. How can I tell for sure? The exhaust looks stock - no headers for sure - but has Flowmaster mufflers. I'd love to upload some pics, but am at work and cannot do so on this comp. Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.
BlueOval77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: CAI

Is it a Handheld SCT tuner or is a Chip? like the SCT4 Eliminator Chip? Cause I believe that a 91 GT cannot use a Handheld SCT tuner, you have to use the Chip type on that year. Someone else on here can fill you in on details, I have a friend who has a 95 GT and has the same issues, I have given him the Info on the SCT4. It does sound like you need to get it Tuned.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #3

I don't have a '91 GT.. It's a handheld tuner. Please read the entire post before you respond. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOval77 View Post
I don't have a '91 GT.. It's a handheld tuner. Please read the entire post before you respond. Thanks.
My mistake, I misread the first line again when I was replying, you have a 07 California Special. You said you had a 91 GT. For my mistake in reply I will leave this alone. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
For my mistake in reply I will leave this alone. Good luck.
I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers here; but I'm looking for factual info on the '05-'09 motor from experienced users - not from people who parrot info read on forums or looking to pad their post count. I'm not saying KATO is someone like this, I'm simply trying to be clear.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOval77

I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers here; but I'm looking for factual info on the '05-'09 motor from experienced users - not from people who parrot info read on forums or looking to pad their post count. I'm not saying KATO is someone like this, I'm simply trying to be clear.
Not a lot of post count padders here.. Most ppl here mean to help. With that said this is an open forum so keep that in mind when posting questions
Old 11-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Well if you look at Katos sig you will see he has real world experience being that his car has the mods you are asking about.

Anyhow......I wouldn't trust the dealer on anything about mods because it's usually the sales staff doing the write ups for the cars. If the tuner was left in the backseat chances are it still has the tune in it so I would open up that tuner and see what tunes it has in it and what grade of gas those tunes are running first. You don't wanna go and put in cheap gas if all the tunes are running 93 octane. Did you check the mid pipe to see if it was a off road?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #8

Thank you. I understand this is an open forum, just checking in to see if I can get any answers. @DDTCM: Yes, I've seen KATO's sig. I've also read posts from him/her. I'll leave it at that. How do I 'open' the tuner? You mean plug it in and see what kind of codes I get? Then look online for a code translation? I did look underneath the car and it appears to have stock exhaust pipes. Only the mufflers and tips are Flowmasters.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
Regular
Supporter

Plug it in yes and see if there are any codes and also see what tunes and what octane they require. You won't need a tune for axelbacks but will for sure need a tune if you throw on another CAI.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #10

Thank you, I'll do that. Is it possible to use the tuner I have with any brand/model of CAI? Or does the type of tune/octane required that's loaded in the tuner affect the size of the CAI? Is that even a logical question? I've never had a CAI, but I've read that there are different sizes - I'm assuming the MAF is part of the CAI; but not even sure if a MAF is part of the equation in today's engines.

Also, is there any way to tell if underdrive pulleys are on the car? The pulleys that are there are black - not that that means anything - but simply looking at them without specific knowledge they appear stock.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #11
Regular
Supporter

You should be able to go to American muscle and order a CAI for it and use the tunes you have now. Me personally,I would try and load the stock tune back in. Buy a new CAI and order all new tunes or however many tunes you want with the octane you want. I would just feel more comfortable knowing who tuned my car and that I can get in touch with that person. You could even buy just 1 tune for now. America muscle gives free tunes for life so if you upgrade parts you will get free tunes if needed and they run Bama tunes so they are great. If you want to go another route you can get a tune from BBR,Amazon,Lethal ect but with just a CAI and tuner American muscle seems like the logical choice.

As far as pulleys go,if they are aftermarket they should be stamped and I'm almost 99.9% sure you don't need a tune for those.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
...Me personally,I would try and load the stock tune back in. Buy a new CAI and order all new tunes or however many tunes you want with the octane you want. I would just feel more comfortable knowing who tuned my car and that I can get in touch with that person...
I'm pretty sure the dealer did that when they reverted back to the stock intake, but I will definitely check armed with all this info. I completely agree on knowing exactly how my car is tuned, exactly what's in it and exactly who to go to. Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOval77

I'm pretty sure the dealer did that when they reverted back to the stock intake, but I will definitely check armed with all this info. I completely agree on knowing exactly how my car is tuned, exactly what's in it and exactly who to go to. Thanks again for your help.
Never trust the dealer.. Dealer told me mine had a shift kit when actually I have a chip that controls shift firmness.. Dealers don't know everything by any stretch..
Old 11-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
Regular
Supporter

That dealer probably just pulled the CAI and that's it. Just plug in the tuner and see if the stock tune is still on the handheld.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #15

Lol I don't trust the dealer. ;O) But thanks for lookin' out.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
That dealer probably just pulled the CAI and that's it. Just plug in the tuner and see if the stock tune is still on the handheld.
This usually the case.. The one exception is if there is a Mustang but on staff and generally they don't allow them to play the cars lol
Old 11-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
As long as the tuner has been registered to the VIN on the car and you don't get errors when you attach to the ODBII port, then you you can purchase a CAI and new tune for it.
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
cai