Headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So I've been researching longtube headers and I've found for the price people like pypes and Mac....are they any good or which is better? I have found 50/50 on each so I'm really indecisive about what I think however I don't want to spend 1000 for a set of headers...help!
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
BBK is my preferred brand

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Usually cheaper too
Dancobra75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

All the reading ive done I've found people don't like Bbk over the others...so that's why I'm so stumped!! And I'm going crazy trying to figure it out cause there are so many choices
Old 12-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Haha, I know whatcha mean
Old 12-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I've been on the search for about two months and I can't get enough positives on one brand that is decent in price
Old 12-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Re: Headers

What brand is it?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #8

Region: Other
Hi, Pypes headers are great for their price.

I installed Pypes headers and off road x-pipe and they gave me 18 whp and 12 wtq with out tune!

you can check my thread about Pypes headers on my stang.
Mustang Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
What brand is it?
I was really hoping pypes, if I could find out good stuff about them

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Devil
Hi, Pypes headers are great for their price.

I installed Pypes headers and off road x-pipe and they gave me 18 whp and 12 wtq with out tune!

you can check my thread about Pypes headers on my stang.
Awesome! Well your pushing me even closer to get them!! Hahaha thanks!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Have u checked out youtube im sure someone with pypes LTs has a vid on there

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06greystang
Have u checked out youtube im sure someone with pypes LTs has a vid on there
And other brands too
06greystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not looking for best sound...I'm just trying to get info about the quality and which is recommended the most
Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well quality, bar none kooks. I went with Mac, and now recently put the Prochamber on. Love the sound with my pypes mid muffler set up. The former overall isn't too bad with Mac and the quality is fairly nice IMO.

Quick little sound clip
Old 12-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have pypes as well. No fitment issues and I'm very happy. Keep in mind the pypes are an exact copy of the kooks.
FordTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern stang
Well quality, bar none kooks. I went with Mac, and now recently put the Prochamber on. Love the sound with my pypes mid muffler set up. The former overall isn't too bad with Mac and the quality is fairly nice IMO.

Quick little sound clip
Sounds good!!

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTech
I have pypes as well. No fitment issues and I'm very happy. Keep in mind the pypes are an exact copy of the kooks.
I'm leaning towards pypes and that is what I've heard!!! Did you put them in yourself? I plan on doing them myself is why I ask and wanted to see if it was that bad...I am mechanically inclined but no lift...which will suck
Old 12-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I had a pypes axel back on an 07 GT 500 and it sounded wild
Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I took out the starter and both engine mounts. Then just use a jack with a couple 2x4s on the oil pan. Tons of room to work and much faster. Use only new factory gaskets. Also use factory studs and nuts where possible and use the bolts that come with the headers where it is to tight for studs.
FordTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

For a while, I had the Pypes H pipe before I got the prochamber. It sounded mean! More like I'm going to eat you up and spit you out mf'er kind of tone to it. Now it's got a deeper sound with wayyyy less rasp and it dropped a little bit of db's but honestly it is just perfect. Now on another note if I did it all over again I would probably buy pypes LT's and keep the H most days. I still love that growl when your riding through town, then everyone stops and looks to see what it is.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTech
I took out the starter and both engine mounts. Then just use a jack with a couple 2x4s on the oil pan. Tons of room to work and much faster. Use only new factory gaskets. Also use factory studs and nuts where possible and use the bolts that come with the headers where it is to tight for studs.
Thanks for the advice!! I'm looking to do this sometime in jan-feb since jesusmas has hindered some cash that and a snowboarding trip, but as soon as its over the money goes back to the car!!!

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern stang
For a while, I had the Pypes H pipe before I got the prochamber. It sounded mean! More like I'm going to eat you up and spit you out mf'er kind of tone to it. Now it's got a deeper sound with wayyyy less rasp and it dropped a little bit of db's but honestly it is just perfect. Now on another note if I did it all over again I would probably buy pypes LT's and keep the H most days. I still love that growl when your riding through town, then everyone stops and looks to see what it is.
I think I'm gonna do the pypes mid pipe also and I already have borla stingers so I hope it all sounds good!!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hi!

In a long tube headers comparison (a lot of brands) I read in the april 2009 edition of Mustang 5.0, Mac long tubes gave the best peak power gains. By the way, if I remember well, the test car was a 05 GT with ported heads and was Vortech supercharged.
08 Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

anyone try Pacesetters? for 277$ @ summit thats either a steal or they are crap
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I don't want to fall into the "You get what you pay for.", because it's not always true. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Pace Setter headers are made of mild steel. It may be one of the reasons why they are cheaper. Is mild steel bad? It all depends on the climatic conditions that are going to see your headers vs the amount of time you want to keep them.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

ya thats for a painted version, i wouldnt trust the paint, but powder coating is only 50-100 bucks and lets just say 100 to be safe that would be 377 for powder coated headers
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

All this talk of headers makes me want headers.... And I have a shop that will install em for $200 w a lifetime warranty on their work .... Not too shabby, I suck at working on cars but I've been doing everything on this one (I've had 5 stangs ) and I really enjoy it... Makes me appreciate the car more (and worry about pushing the throttle lol)
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Bullitt
Hi!

In a long tube headers comparison (a lot of brands) I read in the april 2009 edition of Mustang 5.0, Mac long tubes gave the best peak power gains. By the way, if I remember well, the test car was a 05 GT with ported heads and was Vortech supercharged.
Hey sorry I've been in new mexico snowboarding where at&t gets crappy service so I haven't been on!! See I've heard that about Mac longtubes!!! My only concern was that people have stated the pypes are of better construction, I could be misinformed though....I know pypes headers aren't top of the line but I kinda figured they were middle of the road..I just defiantly don't want something to crap out in a couple years is all

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol
anyone try Pacesetters? for 277$ @ summit thats either a steal or they are crap
I've found more bad reviews than good on pacesetter...but for the price they might be good enough

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
All this talk of headers makes me want headers.... And I have a shop that will install em for $200 w a lifetime warranty on their work .... Not too shabby, I suck at working on cars but I've been doing everything on this one (I've had 5 stangs ) and I really enjoy it... Makes me appreciate the car more (and worry about pushing the throttle lol)
Do it!!! I can't wait to do mine!!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I would but I need to work on my suspension first
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqsmash View Post
Hey sorry I've been in new mexico snowboarding where at&t gets crappy service so I haven't been on!! See I've heard that about Mac longtubes!!! My only concern was that people have stated the pypes are of better construction, I could be misinformed though....I know pypes headers aren't top of the line but I kinda figured they were middle of the road..I just defiantly don't want something to crap out in a couple years is all[COLOR="Silver"]
I'm sure that the Pypes headers are of good quality construction. At least they are made of 304 stainless steel. As for the design, is it me or they look a bit like the set made by Kooks?

Mac long tube headers are apparently a bit longer to install than the average headers. In the article, if I remember well, they said the motor need to be jacked a little more. As for materials used, it depends on the finish you select. Ceramic coating is supposed to be great.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Bullitt

I'm sure that the Pypes headers are of good quality construction. At least they are made of 304 stainless steel. As for the design, is it me or they look a bit like the set made by Kooks?

Mac long tube headers are apparently a bit longer to install than the average headers. In the article, if I remember well, they said the motor need to be jacked a little more. As for materials used, it depends on the finish you select. Ceramic coating is supposed to be great.
That's what I've heard about the pypes! I just hope it's worth it and I don't get bamboozled...I have a buddy with a lift so hopefully it all goes good once I get them
Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqsmash View Post
That's what I've heard about the pypes! I just hope it's worth it and I don't get bamboozled...I have a buddy with a lift so hopefully it all goes good once I get them
I'm pretty much sure you can't go wrong with the Pypes long tube headers.

Give us news about how went the installation. Good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT