Some issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2011, 02:28 AM   #1

Region: California
Some issues

As you guys are aware I just got my ride not too long ago, first buy ( been leasing till now) Now I have a few questions...
1. Any suggestions or any good pointers on maintaining a convertible so it doesn't get messed up soon?
2. Anything I should look into to avoid problems?
3. My gas tank does not allow me to put more then half the tank for some reason, I used to think its the gas station but it happens almost always
4. Is 91 fuel mandatory?
5. Overall I need someone to help me out with a list of things I should do to make sure this beauty does not get messed up soon.

Thanks
AniBalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 02:55 AM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Tank filling problem, sometimes it happens to me. Try pulling out the fuel nozzle a little bit the next time you fuel up. It could be a ventilation issue with the fuel tank.

As far as using 91 octane. If your GT is stock it's not required. Personally, I've always used premium fuel on every car I've ever had. I don't care if some people think its a waste of money, I'll do what I want! Lol.

Maintaining your mustang is the biggest thing you can do to prevent failure. Always stay vigilant and look and listen for things that sound or seem out of place. Do some research on common issues with other "like" model mustang owners are having.

Good luck, you've got a beautiful car.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniBalian
As you guys are aware I just got my ride not too long ago, first buy ( been leasing till now) Now I have a few questions...
1. Any suggestions or any good pointers on maintaining a convertible so it doesn't get messed up soon?
2. Anything I should look into to avoid problems?
3. My gas tank does not allow me to put more then half the tank for some reason, I used to think its the gas station but it happens almost always
4. Is 91 fuel mandatory?
5. Overall I need someone to help me out with a list of things I should do to make sure this beauty does not get messed up soon.

Thanks
I don't have a vert, so I hope some verters chime in for you. In general though, basic maintenance: keep your oil and filter changed every 5k with a good product. I won't say what a use because I don't want this to turn into an oil war thread , change your fluids and keep them topped off, watch for issues like carbon build up (happens in our cars and is easy enough to deal with) maintain your transmission, rotate your tires etc.

To keep it from being messed up, just keep it clean and try to avoid dump trucks and stupid people. I have a trunkful of cleaning products and use them daily/weekly depending. People can't believe my car is 7 years old - it looks almost new. It's impossible to avoid some daily driving hazards though. I came out of the grocery store yesterday and an elderly man had pulled his 70s Lincoln Land Yacht up so close to the front of my car it was mashing my license plate in. I almost had a heart attack. but what are you gonna do in that situation, you know? I backed up, and thank god he hadn't damaged my bumper. Then at my next destination my passenger let my door swing into the curb and scraped it... Sigh

The gas tank thing is definitely an S197 thing. I just wiggle the gas nozzle in and out and I can usually coax it a little more full.

You do not need to use 91 unless you have a tune. I used 87 for months before I tuned my car and was fine.
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Tank filling problem, sometimes it happens to me. Try pulling out the fuel nozzle a little bit the next time you fuel up. It could be a ventilation issue with the fuel tank.

As far as using 91 octane. If your GT is stock it's not required. Personally, I've always used premium fuel on every car I've ever had. I don't care if some people think its a waste of money, I'll do what I want! Lol.

Maintaining your mustang is the biggest thing you can do to prevent failure. Always stay vigilant and look and listen for things that sound or seem out of place. Do some research on common issues with other "like" model mustang owners are having.

Good luck, you've got a beautiful car.
Hey, thank u so much for the fast response. I have tried taking out the nozzle a Lil bit putting it back in...it just refuse to be filled. :/ more stops to the gas station I guess?

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAStang05

I don't have a vert, so I hope some verters chime in for you. In general though, basic maintenance: keep your oil and filter changed every 5k with a good product. I won't say what a use because I don't want this to turn into an oil war thread , change your fluids and keep them topped off, watch for issues like carbon build up (happens in our cars and is easy enough to deal with) maintain your transmission, rotate your tires etc.

To keep it from being messed up, just keep it clean and try to avoid dump trucks and stupid people. I have a trunkful of cleaning products and use them daily/weekly depending. People can't believe my car is 7 years old - it looks almost new. It's impossible to avoid some daily driving hazards though. I came out of the grocery store yesterday and an elderly man had pulled his 70s Lincoln Land Yacht up so close to the front of my car it was mashing my license plate in. I almost had a heart attack. but what are you gonna do in that situation, you know? I backed up, and thank god he hadn't damaged my bumper. Then at my next destination my passenger let my door swing into the curb and scraped it... Sigh

The gas tank thing is definitely an S197 thing. I just wiggle the gas nozzle in and out and I can usually coax it a little more full.

You do not need to use 91 unless you have a tune. I used 87 for months before I tuned my car and was fine.
Thank u so much for the response, you ha a lot of good pointers. Because its so new to me I'm at the car wash always...someone had just told me I have to oil my cover so it doesn't crack? I don't know how much of that is true. But again thank you for ur response.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Oh don't go to those car washes that have all the slappy things. They are awful. If you really want to go thru the CW do a touch less one, but the best ones are where they have bays and you can wash it yourself. You can use your own products, and it won't mess your paint up.
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Some issues

best thing you can do is read your owners manual
Old 12-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I have a convertible. The worst thing for the top is sun. Use a protectant with uv blocker and dont let it get dry to the touch. Clean with mild soap too.
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Another thing to remember about verts is stay away from the pressure wash wands at the carwash the water pressure will eat at your seals and cause leaks and also use 3 in 1 oil to keep the joints and moving connections in the top lubricated!
Mr. SoloDolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111225_142800.png
Views:	205
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	36578
Mr. SoloDolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:48 AM   #10

Thankkkkk u!!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #11

Region: Oklahoma
The gas tank problem does the same to me although u will look funny doing it you have to twist the nozzle upside down and it will keep fueling until it's full
Sonicblue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="AniBalian"]

Does it happen at all gas stations or do you tend use the same one. Some stations have the back pressure cutoff set really sensitive. You might waiting 15 seconds. Then pulling the nozzle half way out and filling at half speed.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

Our 05 is a pain to get gas in. I find that some gas pumps do better than others; and I pull it out a bit and twist it around when I have problems.

I found a convenient pump that seems to work for me and use it most of the time...

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
and I pull it out a bit and twist it around when I have problems.
That's what he said?
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

That's what he said?
Hahaha! ZING!
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt

Hahaha! ZING!
Lmao u guys are hilarious! I thought the same thing but wanted to be lady like and not mention it lol!

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicblue05
The gas tank problem does the same to me although u will look funny doing it you have to twist the nozzle upside down and it will keep fueling until it's full
Thanks I have to try that ASAP! I think the lady at the gas station is sick of seeing me every 2 days.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lmao u guys are hilarious! I thought the same thing but wanted to be lady like and not mention it lol!

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Thanks I have to try that ASAP! I think the lady at the gas station is sick of seeing me every 2 days.
Haha he set him self up for that one lol don't worry about it around here we don't judge and what my friend does on his 05 is he doesn't pull the pump lever all the way he just pulls it in about half way and it takes a bit longer to fuel up but it usually fills his tank up all the way or until he gets annoyed and just gives up. Lol.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

What part of Cali u from? Souther of northern? Haven't found many from northern California on here
Old 12-30-2011, 02:51 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If I worked at that gas station I would never get tired of seeing u and ur car
Watchawow07SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchawow07SGT

^^^ +1 lol
Old 12-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I just replaced the convertible top on my wife's 2002 Mustang. It was 4 days of hell and hard work! As far as making the top last longer, I learned these important facts-
1. NEVER go through an automatic car wash! The brushes and the blast of air will damage the material.
2. Park in shade as often as possible.
3. NEVER use a greasy silicone coating like Armor-all or tire shine. It attracts dirt like a magnet.
4. Use cleaners and protectants designed especially for convertible tops.

You have to determine what material the top is made of. My old top was "sailcloth", but the replacement top is heavy vinyl. Autogeek carries several products for you, depending on what material you have.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister07
I just replaced the convertible top on my wife's 2002 Mustang. It was 4 days of hell and hard work! As far as making the top last longer, I learned these important facts-
1. NEVER go through an automatic car wash! The brushes and the blast of air will damage the material.
2. Park in shade as often as possible.
3. NEVER use a greasy silicone coating like Armor-all or tire shine. It attracts dirt like a magnet.
4. Use cleaners and protectants designed especially for convertible tops.

You have to determine what material the top is made of. My old top was "sailcloth", but the replacement top is heavy vinyl. Autogeek carries several products for you, depending on what material you have.
How much did the new top cost? Cuz the top on my mustang has an open seem but I don't know if I can just get it stitched again or if I should just replace the hole thing?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt View Post
How much did the new top cost? Cuz the top on my mustang has an open seem but I don't know if I can just get it stitched again or if I should just replace the hole thing?
I got the economy top from Hydro-E-Lectric. I think I paid $295 for it.
If it is just a seam, I would get it stitched.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #23
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Those model S197s sometimes have that issue with the neck of the gas tank. My 05 had the same issue and it's something you are just gonna have to deal with.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #24

Quote:

Haha he set him self up for that one lol don't worry about it around here we don't judge and what my friend does on his 05 is he doesn't pull the pump lever all the way he just pulls it in about half way and it takes a bit longer to fuel up but it usually fills his tank up all the way or until he gets annoyed and just gives up. Lol.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

What part of Cali u from? Souther of northern? Haven't found many from northern California on here
Seems like everything about this gas pumping issue is a "that's what he said" lol I'm from southern california, born and raised in LA. California Love!

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchawow07SGT

Lolll! *blushing thanks I appreciate it...no this lady is a mean one lol...I think I'm about to switch over to pumping with a credit card just so I don't have to see her face!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

Seems like everything about this gas pumping issue is a "that's what he said" lol I'm from southern california, born and raised in LA. California Love!

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Lolll! *blushing thanks I appreciate it...no this lady is a mean one lol...I think I'm about to switch over to pumping with a credit card just so I don't have to see her face!
Lmao
Old 12-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha that's cool I was born and raised in San Diego until a few years ago I moved up here. I miss all the beaches.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #27

Quote:

Haha that's cool I was born and raised in San Diego until a few years ago I moved up here. I miss all the beaches.
I live 45 min away but have not had the chance to go...now that I have my pony this coming summer no one is going to be able to take me away from the beaches cant wait! Don't mean to rub it in lol
Old 12-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I live 45 min away but have not had the chance to go...now that I have my pony this coming summer no one is going to be able to take me away from the beaches cant wait! Don't mean to rub it in lol
Aw man! you should go more often! The ones near u are really cool too. And it's cool ha I'll go back some day
Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #29

Quote:

Aw man! you should go more often! The ones near u are really cool too. And it's cool ha I'll go back some day
They are actually pretty dirty, I have to drive a couple of hours to go to a nice clean beach!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:16 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They are actually pretty dirty, I have to drive a couple of hours to go to a nice clean beach!
Really? I went this past summer to Santa Monica and I though Venice beach was pretty cool. And there was another one I thought was cool. Hmm. Newport beach I think. But that was a bit farther. Well basically anything down there is better than all the beaches up here! Dirty and FREEZING
Old 12-31-2011, 12:22 AM   #31

Quote:

Really? I went this past summer to Santa Monica and I though Venice beach was pretty cool. And there was another one I thought was cool. Hmm. Newport beach I think. But that was a bit farther. Well basically anything down there is better than all the beaches up here! Dirty and FREEZING
Yea those are the popular ones but pretty dirty...but you can never go wrong with Venice beach! It's always happening there
Old 12-31-2011, 12:32 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea those are the popular ones but pretty dirty...but you can never go wrong with Venice beach! It's always happening there
Yeah I liked it there well now you can hit all the cool beaches in your super fly stang! Lol
Old 12-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #33

Quote:

Yeah I liked it there well now you can hit all the cool beaches in your super fly stang! Lol
Oh yes! I can't wait!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh yes! I can't wait!
Lol I bet!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

On the gas cover, Ford has a sticker on my 07 GT the recommends the use of Premium fuel.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT