What is drone? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Smile What is drone?

My pony is in storage for winter. I want to upgrade my exhaust in spring. Looking at axle back. Doing my homework on the forums, everyone talks about a drone sound. what is that?

I want a nice "old school" sound to them, but dont want to have to scream talking to passengers.
thanks!
brockmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: What is drone?

It's almost like a humming sound you will hear on the highway that will make you want to blow your brains out. That's what it sounds like to me anyhow.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Filibuster

Drone is just a word to explain when at a steady rpm the exhaust resonates any annoying tone in the car...my car had a somewhat bad drone when I got it..it had an h-pipe with cats and flowmaster 40's it was bad enough the I removed the cats (o/r h-pipe) and switch to bullet insynerator single chamber exhaust...no more drone!..it is quite loud though..

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
It's almost like a humming sound you will hear on the highway that will make you want to blow your brains out. That's what it sounds like to me anyhow.
Haha!! +100
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #4

Region: Virginia
I recently installed Pypes Bomb axle back on my 2007 convertible from American Muscle. They were less than $300 for the set and it took less than an hour to install in the driveway without lifting the car. I get many compliments on the sound and I really enjoy the old school growl it provides when hitting the gas pedal.
Scott Benning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Go with pypes. Its loud when you floor it but when driving normal it sound like a muscle car
GMSPNKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Drone is a noise of a certain low resonance frequency caused by the multiple chambers in some mufflers. This frequency occurs between 1600 and 2000 rpms and can permeate the cabin of the car , so much so that driving on long trips can me unbearable.

The best way to reduce drone is to

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

[QUOTE="GTRob504"]Drone is a noise of a certain low resonance frequency caused by the multiple chambers in some mufflers. This frequency occurs between 1600 and 2000 rpms and can permeate the cabin of the car , so much so that driving on long trips can me unbearable.

The best way to reduce drone is to' stick stick with straight through mufflers
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #7

Region: Texas
If you dont want any drone guaranteed, get the CORSA. Thats what i have and im very happy with it. As far as deep old school muscle, id go with borla. They say no drone but theres been ppl that say there is a little bit of drone
lcarrasco212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for your help!!
brockmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Hi Peeps.....I have Kooks headers w/catted x-pipe and Pypes axle back exhaust system in my 07 GT....I have no drone, but if I did I would just turn up my stereo as I love the performance upgrade...and sounds fabulous when I nail it.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

As far as I know, a certain set of mufflers may drone on a certain setup, but not on another. Drone also depends on headers and midpipe, the fact that you have or that you don't have cats. Highway drone may depends on your rear gears too, because of your RPM cruising range.

Keep in mind that what some could find tolerable may be unbearable to others.

Is the car a daily driver or not? It's also important to be aware of that.

It's not moneywise to say, but sometimes you have to try different exhaust setup before finding what's best for you.

Good luck!
08 Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRob504
Drone is a noise of a certain low resonance frequency caused by the multiple chambers in some mufflers. This frequency occurs between 1600 and 2000 rpms and can permeate the cabin of the car , so much so that driving on long trips can me unbearable.

The best way to reduce drone is to

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------
Well said! Or it could also be the sound coming from your significant other sitting in the passenger seat as you're enjoying driving your car the way it was meant to be driven! LOL. I dont have that drone anymore!
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc1006

Well said! Or it could also be the sound coming from your significant other sitting in the passenger seat as you're enjoying driving your car the way it was meant to be driven! LOL. I dont have that drone anymore!

Well said! Sometime I wonder if drone i s a good thing. When I had my Bassani axlebacks, my wife hated riding in or driving my car. Cause and effect sometimes works to your advantage
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't put the aftermarket exhaust on mine but it has flowmasters and it has a great noise level and sound. Easily loud enough to hear but when you are coasting and not getting on it it's not hard to overcome from inside. I've put aftermarket exhaust on a couple other vehicles before and flowmasters have always turned out good.

Just make sure not to delete the resonator, then you will have to scream to hear someone!
Flowmasters, Flat-Black Racing & Reverse C-Stripes, blacked-out GT emblem, Honeycomb Deck Lid & Tail Lights, Black GT Fuel Door, Axerra Bluetooth Radio w/ iPod, shortened stock antenna, S&B CAI, 18" 2010 GT Wheels, Halo Headlights
righter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Be careful with Borla. I put Borla on my car with o/r H pipe and the drone at 65mph in 5th gear is pretty loud. You almost have to scream at the passengers in your car. Lol but what's cool is that as soon as I reach around 67-68 mph. The drone is completely gone.
S197Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Another option to improve the sound of a Mustang is to keep the stock mufflers while changing the stock mid-pipe for an off-road x-pipe. In my opinion, it's easier to get a drone free setup this way. It's not a good idea for California drivers, tho.
08 Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

It seems that the only mufflers that drone are "chambered" mufflers, like Flowmasters. Those that have sound deadening material, like glasspacks, don't seem to drone much. I had Flowtech Afterburners on my old Mustang, and they droned right at 2200 RPM. I switched to Magnaflows and the drone stopped. I have the Saleen/Edelbrock mufflers on my current car and they don't drone at all. The mufflers are packed with spun metal and fiberglass.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Had Flowtech longtubes w/ their x-pipe and flowmasters and had drone out the ***, just switched to BBK longtubes with or x-pipe and still have some drone. Trashing the flowmasters next for some dynomax bullets
Cobrarunnin9s is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT