Touching up Plasti Dip - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Touching up Plasti Dip

The good news is that it's do- able and easy- the bad news is that you will need to.
When I did my wheels a few weeks ago, I found a really nasty nail in the last wheel I did (grrrrrr almost NEW tires!) it was one that was plugging it shut- would not go flat unless I pulled it out.

So yesterday I took it to my tire guy to fix it proper, and they found a second nail!! In the course of fixing it my Plasti dip edges got pretty tore up. They were apologetic but there's nothing that could have been done.

So this am I tape masked the wheels and lug nuts, pulled out center caps, put in the playing cards and did a round of touch up. It looks fine... Not perfect but you'd really have to look closely to see that - whole thing took about 90 min.

So, definitely do able. Seems like the edges are the first spot to show wear.
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: Touching up Plasti Dip

My edges are a bit rough and I've only had it done for about a week but then again I plan on peeling it off the lip and leaving a polished look so it's more of a reason to do that instead of touching up for me lol anyway, is it super obvious that it isn't the same coat from close up or just kinda visible?
Old 12-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by betojaimes
My edges are a bit rough and I've only had it done for about a week but then again I plan on peeling it off the lip and leaving a polished look so it's more of a reason to do that instead of touching up for me lol anyway, is it super obvious that it isn't the same coat from close up or just kinda visible?
Yeah I noticed the edges getting a little raggy even before the mess with the nails in the tires. It's really not that obvious that it's a different coat, it's just thicker, and I would think that the thicker it gets, the easier it will be to peel off eventually. This whole thing is making me want black bullitts really bad. I'll try and get some pics up.
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Heres some pix- the first one is the one that got totally trashed out at the tire shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3582441292.png
Views:	771
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	36808   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-975512468.png
Views:	602
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	36809  

Name:	image-21175890.png
Views:	594
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	36810  
Old 12-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So this stuff u used to paint ur wheels can come off w/o it ever looking like it had something on it?
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
So this stuff u used to paint ur wheels can come off w/o it ever looking like it had something on it?
That's correct. It stays on pretty well but if you want it off you peel from the edge. I did mine because I wanted to get a feel for how I'd like black bullitts on my car. You can also paint on top of it with other things and it'll still peel off- I've got a can of clear coat

Plus it's much easier to use than paint. Search Plasti dip on the forums, you'll be amazed.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I was going to see if blacking out the pony on my grille would look good... Where do u buy it and how much Is it
Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was going to see if blacking out the pony on my grille would look good... Where do u buy it and how much Is it
Yep, lots of people are using it for stuff like that. Just peel it off if you don't like it. Hardware stores, or places like Lowe's or Home Depot, $5-6 bucks a can.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'll go buy sum stuff today and post pics... I'll spray the dog too.... Lol can u spray it on the body?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
I'll go buy sum stuff today and post pics... I'll spray the dog too.... Lol can u spray it on the body?
Yes you can. Although its a pain in the *** on skin. Lol.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I was wanting to see if the pillar between the headlight and grill blacked put would look good... I would love to mimic this... I just don't know If it would look right on our body style

Name:	image-425045777.png
Views:	1413
Size:	593.5 KB
ID:	36838

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT