62mm bore throttle bodies on naturally aspirated 05-09 mustangs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
62mm bore throttle bodies on naturally aspirated 05-09 mustangs

Hi!

I'm new to your forum... as well as on any forum!

I was wondering about 62mm bore throttle bodies on naturally aspirated 05-09 mustangs.

Let's take a look at this technical note that's on americanmuscle.com:

Technical Note. 62mm bore throttle bodies work great on heavily modified or force inducted GT mustangs, stock or mildly modified GT's do not flow air enough to benefit from this larger Throttle Body.

To what point a naturally aspirated mustang should be modified to be called "heavily modified"?

Would my setup benefits from a 62mm bore throttle body like the one from Ford Racing, GMS or L&M?

By the way, I know that long tube headers would be better, but since my car is lowered a lot, I don't want more clearance issues.

Intake
- C&L Racer Air Intake
- Stock Throttle Body
- Steeda Economy Charge Motion Delete Plates

Engine
- Ford Racing Hot Rod Performance Camshafts
- Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
- MSD Blaster 2 Coil-on-Plugs
- JLT Black Oil Separator

Exhaust
- Ford Racing Stainless Steel Shorty Headers
- UPR Off-road X-Pipe
- Ford Racing Bullitt Axleback

Drivetrain
- Ford Racing 3.73 Rear Gears

Suspension
- H&R Super Sport Springs

Wheels and tires
- Stock Bullitt Wheels and tires
- H&R Trak+ Wheel Spacers - 25mm

Tuning
- SCT X3 Programmer + 91 octane custom tune
08 Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I picked up a jlt cai, sct3 tunner and bbk tb for $300 I knew it was "stupid" to put it on but what the hell right? But I did notice a nice improvement in high rpm acceleration and the whistling noise it makes when u blip the throttle is nice too... However I messed up on the install and my idle is at 1000 rpm and I have not fixed it yet....

Btw I've been told long tubes are better for lowered 05-09 stangs... It apparently pulls everything up and tighter... Close friend w Shelby gt (not the 500) has k springs and he used to scrape on speed bumps b4 long tubes... Now he does not... :-/
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: 62mm bore throttle bodies on naturally aspirated 05-09 mustangs

To be honest, I tried the BBK twice. It was installed by a qualified mechanic. Both times, everything seems to be correctly installed, and yes the voltage was set the right way, but I had the same problem both times, so I decided to go back to stock.

In fact, I experienced hanging throttle. Each time I hit the clutch, the RPM goes down slower than usual. There was also an added delay in the throttle response, not only when I hit the gas, but also when I released it. In my opinion, that's not fun at all.

Maybe it was the tune, maybe the unit was defect, but I was never able to make the BBK react as fast as the stock unit. This is why I asked about the other 62mm bore throttle bodies, like the one from Ford Racing, GMS or L&M.

As far as long tube headers, I don't understand how they would not create clerance issues. If you lower something that hangs low, it's going to hang lower than before, no? Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't explain what happened to your friend...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I hear ford racing tb is amazing... Am said ford parts are extremely good w anything air...

As for bbk tb... So far it's giving me trouble... If it had a throat... I'd punch it

Bbk rep anywhere??? Chime in ...

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Oh an I'll see if I can have my bud shoot me some photos if his lt headers... I'm just going off what he told me
Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you ever put your hands on pics of his setup, especially of how it looks under the side skirts, it would be nice if you post them here, because I'm really curious.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If I remember right u can't see em when u lay down outside his car... As if u were looking for a stupid cat ur neighbor neglects...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2761121979.png
Views:	422
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	37123

Name:	image-2378608997.png
Views:	485
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	37124

Here is his car... Only pics I have on hand... I shot him a text, he sucks at phones tho
Old 01-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

What a great looking Mustang! Thanks for the pics!

From these points of view, it's difficult to see the underneath of the car. If you get other pics, I would be interested to see them, but no stress about that.

By the way, what brand of headers he is using?

So you can't see something laid under his car, like a neighborhood cat or even missing cats?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yea he has great taste... He is founder of the mustang club I'm trying to get voted into here in Dallas tx... I want to say he has... Nevermind I have no idea what LT he's is running... I'm telling u the guy sucks at phones... As soon as I reach him I'll get him on here to answer any and all questions...

Name:	image-1222315883.png
Views:	881
Size:	799.1 KB
ID:	37127

Btw being in a club is uber nerdy but extremely fun!!! One chick in the club is a late 30s early 40s and her daily is a 06 GT w a pro-charger I believe... It's fantastically Awesome! And at that meet I just went to (pic attached) they had a rev competition and the damn 4.6 2v owned everyone including a 500+ wrhp 03 cobra.... I want to mimic that sound in my 3v and the only set up similar is a pro chamber w bullet style mufflers mid mounted.... Is that a correct statement?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm pretty much sure that a Mac prochamber plus mid mounted bullet style mufflers sound terrific.

By the way, this Mustang club sounds fun! I guess living in Dallas is good too. Where I live in Canada, it's actually a winter storm and it's weird to drive a Mustang in all that snow. Not a lot of people are doing it, guess why...
Old 01-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
I want to mimic that sound in my 3v and the only set up similar is a pro chamber w bullet style mufflers mid mounted.... Is that a correct statement?
Just curious. Why mid-mounted?

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Because the extra length between mufflers and tips lets the exhaust rumble like an old school muscle car.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It appears Mustangs doesn't sound the exact same way when mufflers are mid mounted or used as axlebacks. It's a question of taste I guess...
Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

One of the other club members said he put obx longtubes off eBay??? I never even heard of those
Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Hey,
I run the Ford Racing TB and it works fine. I got my tune from Bama btw.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
Hey,
I run the Ford Racing TB and it works fine. I got my tune from Bama btw.
Hey, Labrat!

Nice to hear from a Ford Racing Throttle Body user! Did you notice improvements in throttle response and power? What kind of setup do you have?

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545 View Post
One of the other club members said he put obx longtubes off eBay??? I never even heard of those
Silversky545,

I had OBX headers on another car and they were a nightmare to install. My technician and I even had to do buffing and welding to make them fit. Maybe their Mustang headers are better, but personally I don't think I'm gonna buy their stuff again.

BTW, the same technician installed my Ford Racing stainless steel shorty headers and they fit perfectly the first time.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I was told shorty headers are pointless on s197 cars... Other than sound... Is that true in your case? Cuz I like the idea of shortys better than full length...
Old 01-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was told shorty headers are pointless on s197 cars... Other than sound... Is that true in your case? Cuz I like the idea of shortys better than full length...
OK, let's be honest...

Since I had a couple of mods installed at the same time, it's difficult for me to know what power came from the headers. However, if you look at these headers and the stock iron cast exhaust manifold coast to coast, you can realise that the headers are lighter and less restrictive. They also improved the sound of my car. They for sure will produce less power than long tube headers, but as I said earlier they fit perfectly and IMO they're still a nice add-on.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Bullitt,

I've done similar upgrades also (at the same time) so it's hard to tell how much improvement there is. I did my CAI, TB, Pypes axle backs and tune at the same time. The difference was like night and day. Then I installed the Kooks headers w/catted x-pipe and there again there was quite a difference. Next were the 4:10 gears and that was another night and day difference. Everytime I did an upgrade I got a new tune from Bama.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

So I understand, Labrat, that at least you don't have any problem with your Ford Racing Throttle Body like those I had with my BBK unit (hanging throttle, added delay in the throttle response). Am I correct?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yes you are.....I have not had those problems...hit the gas pedal, it revs, let up and rpm's go down...lol...at least up to this point I have not had any problems.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, Labrat! It's good to get feedback from a Ford Racing throttle body user.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I am also running a Ford Racing TB. I've had no issues with it at all. I've heard bad things about the BBK TB. I have even heard of people having install and fitment issues with it. As for power..... I got the performance package from CJ Pony Parts (I think) that included the FRPP TB, cams and 3v intake. So it's hard to say how much I got from just the TB, lol! Personally I also went with all Ford Racing parts to maintain my factory warrantee.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

U only keep factory warranty if they install it and even still you can only do certain things... For instance the FR500CJ is not covered at all under warranty and that whole car consist of FRPP stuff and the BOSS LS has two keys, if u use the performance key you void all warranty.... So b carefull
Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I did research on the magnison and moss act. I've had my car serviced many times since and even had a warrantee claim and have had no problems. The dealership I go to is cool and is a roush and FRPP installer. On the flip side.... I've heard of the dealerships and techs that are out to get the enthusiasts that mod their cars and are the ones who try to prove that a cold air intake caused the rear end to go out, LOL!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I think my wife consults with those techs.... "babe!! If you put springs on your car... Don't come crying to me when your motor blows!!" wtf??? That is a true story... Lol god love her but damn
Old 01-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think my wife consults with those techs.... "babe!! If you put springs on your car... Don't come crying to me when your motor blows!!" wtf??? That is a true story... Lol god love her but damn
That's just insane! I'd like to see the breakdown of how they relate the two! LOL! And that tech needs a swift kick in the a@#. It's amazing how the tech's think they can take advantage of women.... not all but generally that's the case.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
I am also running a Ford Racing TB. I've had no issues with it at all. I've heard bad things about the BBK TB. I have even heard of people having install and fitment issues with it. As for power..... I got the performance package from CJ Pony Parts (I think) that included the FRPP TB, cams and 3v intake. So it's hard to say how much I got from just the TB, lol! Personally I also went with all Ford Racing parts to maintain my factory warrantee.
Thanks, Dion11197, for the infos on your experience with the Ford Racing Throttle Body. That's good to know.

As far as the BBK unit, it seems that I'm not the only one who had trouble with it. After two unsuccessful attempts to make it reacts the way IMO a performance throttle body should, I decided to put it in a box of my friend's garage...
Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well damn this thread to hell... making me want to throw this bbk tb out... Yesterday my throttle stuck open when my foot came off the pedal!!! But I think it's just due to the TPS being off.... I'll try and fix tonight and will let y'all know
Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well damn this thread to hell... making me want to throw this bbk tb out... Yesterday my throttle stuck open when my foot came off the pedal!!! But I think it's just due to the TPS being off.... I'll try and fix tonight and will let y'all know
The throttle stayed open when you released it? Well, to be honest, it's scary... At least to me.

Hope you'll find the problem! Stay tuned.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That sucks! I hope you can fix the problem! I've also heard good things about the L&M TB's. they are supposed to be a tune free upgrade and work really well.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so my tb is fine it's for sure just the tps.... Was set wrong
Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok so my tb is fine it's for sure just the tps.... Was set wrong
Nice! That's a lot better the. Something with the TB
Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

That is soo True, My wife can spot a "don't know $#!+ Tech. a mile away, and will not hesitate to tell a shop to stop and don't touch s3!+ in a minute. From watching me thru the years and knowing that I do, know a little somthin,somthin about cars, and not every person does, so she's skeptical on who touches the car and is aware of the "Scam a Female" trick. She also knows that I did a little something to the Camaro, so if those Techs looks totally confused, "She's Outta there" in a minute.LOL.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

my BBK 62mm t-body works fine for me .. we tried puttin one on my friends car and no such luck.. it now sits in a box on the shelf... my dyno guy says gt500 t-body is the only one he will install now!
and and and I DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_QJ...ure=plcp<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWfvYVYlfio&feature=plcp
Sirtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtat View Post
my BBK 62mm t-body works fine for me .. we tried puttin one on my friends car and no such luck.. it now sits in a box on the shelf... my dyno guy says gt500 t-body is the only one he will install now!
It looks like the BBK throttle body may suffers from inconsistency. Not good for your friend, neither for me...

As far as the GT500 throttle body with the adapter kit, it seems like a good option.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT