NA mods vs. SC Or Turbo mods - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
NA mods vs. SC Or Turbo mods

Can anyone create a list of mods for NA mustangs and then mods necessary after a SC or turbo install? Many mods are a waste on a NA setup, but necessary with forced air apps. eg. installing GT500 injectors on a NA GT is probably not gonna do much. Everyone wants the most bang for $, but it's hard to decide which are best.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Tennessee
Re: NA mods vs. SC Or Turbo mods

what are you wanting out of the car?
SonicBoom239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Biggest bang for the buck is always FI!
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Do u even have an idea of a direction ur planing on taking said soon to be modded car?
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
Do u even have an idea of a direction ur planing on taking said soon to be modded car?
I'd love to go SC, but it's not gonna happen. It's a DD, do I want to get the most out of it up to the point of SC. I want to run it on a road track every now & then. I've got cai, axle back flowmasters and SCT. The tune was awesome. I guess I'd like a list to start working towards.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Here's my reply, pros & cons: Exhaust- higher flow and better sound, X or H pipe off road, but offroad means you will need to get a "Tune" and problems with State Emissions test. Adding a SuperCharger or Turbo Charger because of Length of pipe depending on the Headers you have (Shortie/Longtube). Longtubes will give a tad more HP, but will be problem if adding Turbo(s), you'll need "shortie". CAI (Cold Air Intake) is always good to get, but will probably need to be changed if/when you get SC or Turbo. I have Steeda Carbon CAI, and will need to change it when I get my SC on. Rear End GEARS are a good add-on, but can be a problem when you get SC or Turbo, I got 410, which are great now, but have heard by many, many people that I will smoke tires even more than Now, when I add my SC on it, Since I have an Automatic, I may be able to get away with it, by learning how to drive/handle the SC. It was suggested that I change my rear tires to softer ones, but I choose to leave them and just learn how to drive with the SC and Gears. I hope this helped with your questions on add-on stuff.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input. I want to avoid spending $ on stuff thats not beneficial to NA cars or will have little effect.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
Biggest bang for the buck is always FI!
+1

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

It kind of depends on what your overall goals are for the car. I'm a big believer in not spending more money then I have to and doing mods now that will carry over when I can afford the SC. You can do full bolt ons... Heads, cams, full exhaust and without an intake change youll be looking at around 400+ hp (motor). With an intake change 430+hp but then you limit yourself to centrifugal SC, unless you don't care about changing the intake. Supercharging actually isn't a bad way to go for a DD. if you keep your foot out of the throttle you will see a mild increase in MPG and if the tune is good you won't have to worry about reliability. Any tuner who is worth a s$&t (JDM, BB racing, Livernois to mention a few) will tell you a stock bottom end 3v is "safe" up to, but not beyond 500rwhp. Just depends on what you are looking for. I would recommend headers, catted x and possibly cams at minimum to go with your gears, axel backs and CAI.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

+1.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

A Steeda technician once told me that centrifugal superchargers are easier to daily drive because of the progressive boost. Since you have less PSI in the lower RPM range, it's supposed to be more practical in situations where traction is an issue.

IMO, the three types of supercharger are great options (centrifugal, roots and twin screw). They have their own pros and cons, which depend on your goal, the rest of your setup and the conditions your drive your car on.
08 Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Bullitt
A Steeda technician once told me that centrifugal superchargers are easier to daily drive because of the progressive boost. Since you have less PSI in the lower RPM range, it's supposed to be more practical in situations where traction is an issue.

IMO, the three types of supercharger are great options (centrifugal, roots and twin screw). They have their own pros and cons, which depend on your goal, the rest of your setup and the conditions your drive your car on.
Thanks Bullit, you're super helpful, hopefully you get some good driving weather soon.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
Road Trip!

U can run any of the three sc with min mods to the engine and still see gains in preformance. Between 5-8 psi on any blower is usually recomended on a stock motor its when u start to exceed that that u want to look at forged internals dished pistons etc for the basics if looking to sc pick up a kenny bell liquid cooled twin screw and run a light pully (5-8 pounds) exhaust (long tube headers off road pro chamber and what ever muffler u likke the sound of check out M.A.C exhaust systems for a good setup) a 373 or 410 rear end gear depending on how much track time u think ull do a good cai and a tune. if automatic do a min stage 2 shift kit b4 tune (bama has some good tunes ive heard). And when u go to do a pully swap for more power (like a 14-18 psi set up for all out proformance) then look at doing forged internals cam heads extra cooling (trans cooler and bigger rad) etc but for dd start with the above.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hawk what would you run power wise/mods for road race set up.... I'd like to stay na 450 wrhp.... But blown would b cheaper
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Are u allowed to run propane? Or would u like to stay gas? Ether way bumping ur compression is a must 12to 1 for high octain gas(91+) and 14+to 1 for propane so that mean pistons so go forged and while ur at it might as well forge the inturnals and look for a moderat stroker kit this will allow u to still rev decentlly but provide much more torque threw out ur torque band now this is not the cheepist way to do it because there still things i havent said that need to be done to get 450 rw hp but this makes a much more reliable engine in the long run much easir to go bolt on blower then n/a if ur looking for higher hp gains and ether way forging internals (when i say this i mean putting in forged rotating assembly) will provide u with better reliability so like any thing how much u want to spend and were u want ur power and what style u like is allways going to determin what parts to put in and what parts will have to wait. So that being said tell me more about the road raceing project its intencions ur goals what u like how u want the power to hit and the limits of the rules in the class u plan on running so on so forth and i can give a bit better list of were to start
Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just getting into it... First I'm going to go to school.... I put some simple bolt ons not knowing how strict they are on classes... So I have to do some research b4 I can tell you anything in detail... I just know I'm going to do it with 6 months
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Well ur best bet then proframance wise when u dont know what ur class allows is cai tune and gears a cant do exhaust till u know what they let u run (cat or none) and u can start on some light weight mods (take weight out of the car by replacing some heaver cast and steal parts with parts made of lighter alloys and such) suspencion and some safty gear (like a fire extuingusher and a good roll cage 5 point harness for seats etc relocate ur bat to the trunk and maybe think about doing a fuel cell but when u get hear u need ur rules to go from as a guidline to know what u can and cant do to still be allegable to race.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

So research find out what class suits ur taste and get back to me with the rules k and ill be happy to help as i can.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT