Noob here! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Noob here!

Hey everyone, just got an 05 Mustang GT, (windveil blue) New to this threads, new to mustangs, new to tunes, new to CAIs, new to lots... Lol

So far love the car, but...

Got a few questions that I have searched for, but haven't found any answers.

1) My car makes a slight tick (very faint, and def not an exhaust leak) only when completely warmed up. From what I know about these 4.6s cam phasers? But are those not louder? It's very light, and you have to open the hood to hear it, are the first year (2005) 3v engines just a little noisier then most?

2) just got a JLT with SCT bama tuner for a GREAT price. The guy said it was factory reset. (I know this is probably a dumb question) but that DOES mean its unlocked right? No sending it to SCT with 150 dollars right?

3) looking at upgraded exhaust, SLP loudmouths? Flowmasters? or Borlas?.... I will NOT be getting those rice sounding pypes brand!!

Thanks everyone!
Charles.young10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Welcome to the site bro!
Timm04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Welcome!
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles.young10
Hey everyone, just got an 05 Mustang GT, (windveil blue) New to this threads, new to mustangs, new to tunes, new to CAIs, new to lots... Lol

So far love the car, but...

Got a few questions that I have searched for, but haven't found any answers.

2) just got a JLT with SCT bama tuner for a GREAT price. The guy said it was factory reset. (I know this is probably a dumb question) but that DOES mean its unlocked right? No sending it to SCT with 150 dollars right?

3) looking at upgraded exhaust, SLP loudmouths? Flowmasters? or Borlas?.... I will NOT be getting those rice sounding pypes brand!!

Thanks everyone!
Not sure about the tick, what's it do when you rev?

Once you set your car back to stock, you can use it on another car and it locks into its vin, until restating to stock. But as I understand it you can only do this 4 or 5 times and locks up. Of course you can tune your as much as you want.

Mufflers will start a fight on the forms. I have flowmaster 40's, I love em and they were easy to install. But you might want to search the forums, there are a lot of sound bites with different mufflers and even search YouTube. Some mfg have sound bites on their websites, flowmaster does. Everyone is looking for a different sound.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Who informed u pypes sound like rice lol!!! Have you heard the mid muffler cat back set up?? I have flows... Will b getting a rice set up soon I guess lol... As for the tuner... What that means is the guy supposedly returned his car to stock... Make sure you check the sct for software updates b4 using it... U could end up w a car that won't turn over...as for the tick... From my knowledge these 4.6 make a ton of noise...
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone!

When it revs up, I hear it the tick until about 1500 or so RPM. Goes away after that. Standard trans

I have searched/heard many videos on sound for mufflers, but it's funny, because in the video they say the car has "X" set up and I find another car that has that exact same "X" set up, and they sound completely different. (video quality, I guess) Or lies!! Bunch of lies! Lol jk

but one thing is for sure, every time I hear "pypes", I hear a higher pitched / poppy / whine.. Close to the sponge bob laugh.. Jk.. Lol

I am looking for a deep sound that isn't too loud, but loud enough to be heard driving by.

Thanks again guys!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: Noob here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles.young10 View Post
Thanks everyone!

When it revs up, I hear it the tick until about 1500 or so RPM. Goes away after that. Standard trans

I have searched/heard many videos on sound for mufflers, but it's funny, because in the video they say the car has "X" set up and I find another car that has that exact same "X" set up, and they sound completely different. (video quality, I guess) Or lies!! Bunch of lies! Lol jk

but one thing is for sure, every time I hear "pypes", I hear a higher pitched / poppy / whine.. Close to the sponge bob laugh.. Jk.. Lol

I am looking for a deep sound that isn't too loud, but loud enough to be heard driving by.

Thanks again guys!
For the Deeper sound, you may want to go with an "H" mid pipe, they say that one gives a deeper old style sound. I have Magnaflow pipes with a "X" mid pipe, I ilke it fine.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks KATO! I will def check that out!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Borla is expensive but it sounds good!! I have the s-type on mine....after a while of them baking they sound deeper now too
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Google prochamber and mid muffler set up... U will find your desired sound
Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You know SLP load mouths are just pipes that cost 300 dollars, I just went to my local exhaust shop and had them cut of the mufflers and weld some 18" slash cuts for 120 bucks and the tick could be loud fuel injectors

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Does running muffler deletes on s197 cars sound different from 96-04?? Cuz everyone i knew throughout my life that ran muffler deletes, their cars sounded horrible?? Almost like a try-to-GM product...
Old 01-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Pennsylvania

Welcome!
MyStang68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Mine sounds good, I'll post up a video if you'd like but idk how it would sound being recorded with an iPhone 3GS

Old 01-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'd like to hear it
Old 01-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with above..... The modular motors do make more valve train noise then previous years. Could be injector noise you're hearing.... If you're not used to it it could sound abnormal. Does it sound like it coming from the top or front of the motor?

As far as exhaust...... There are several options out there..... I like the flowmaster American thunder and the American thunder classic. Magnaflow has some good sounding exhaust as well as MAC and others.... It's all about finding what you like.... Everyone's got a different taste!
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I'll make a YouTube video and post the link, I'm at work now so give me a few hours

Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Some new people may get a little confused on terms Pipes, Pypes, Mid pipe. These are not necessarily the same/same subject: Mid Pipe refers to the middle section of the Exhaust, could be "H" or "X" pipe. "Pypes" is a Brand name. And "Pipes" refer to the Exhaust system including the Tail Pipes, the Tubing pipes under the car. It can be confussing for some people, cause they may not be aware of which one you are talking about. And last but not least is the "Headers", Exhaust Headers: Sometimes called (2 types) "Shorties" or "Long Tube". If anyone wants to jump in on this or add anyrthing to this, feel free to jump in. I just found that some people may get confused on these subjects and not know what we are talking about. One more tid bit to Exhaust: Off Road and Non-OffRoad = means "without CATS or with Cat. Converters".
Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Loving this website, good people with some good advice.

I have found some exhaust I like, anyone have any experience with JBA?

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
I agree with above..... The modular motors do make more valve train noise then previous years. Could be injector noise you're hearing.... If you're not used to it it could sound abnormal. Does it sound like it coming from the top or front of the motor?

As far as exhaust...... There are several options out there..... I like the flowmaster American thunder and the American thunder classic. Magnaflow has some good sounding exhaust as well as MAC and others.... It's all about finding what you like.... Everyone's got a different taste!
I am pretty sure thats it, it is def top of motor. sounded to me like loud injectors when I first heard it, but I didnt think it was that. Def something I wasnt use to hearing. It not loud at all, and with the shaker500 up just a little bit, I dont hear it at all. And once I get my exhaust... bye bye! lol

Ever dealt with JBA exhaust?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

welcome and enjoy
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

heres the no muffler video of just normally driving, its quiet once you get going, i could make a video of me revving the hell outta it but all mustangs sound good at WOT so heres a daily driver sample

07 mustang GT No mufflers - YouTube
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Never dealt with JBA, but I've heard good things.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I guess it is bad form to post a link to another site, but here it goes... Mustang Exhaust has a bunch of videos and sound clips of various Mustang exhaust set-ups.
MustangExhaust.com - Blog
Old 01-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister07
I guess it is bad form to post a link to another site, but here it goes... Mustang Exhaust has a bunch of videos and sound clips of various Mustang exhaust set-ups.
MustangExhaust.com - Blog
Hey, me personally I'm good with good info no matter where it's found! Lol
Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Welcome.. I'm in a similiar position as you.. new 05 GT and new to mustang evolution.. however, I'm not new to mustangs. ( this is my 2nd stang and not my last ) and also not new to tuning/modding or stang fourms.. haha
Built_GT_Tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built_GT_Tough View Post
Welcome.. I'm in a similiar position as you.. new 05 GT and new to mustang evolution.. however, I'm not new to mustangs. ( this is my 2nd stang and not my last ) and also not new to tuning/modding or stang fourms.. haha
Welcome Aboard "Built_GT_Tough" from S. Miami, FL.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

IMO I don't think pypes sound ricey at all. My buddy's got the pype bombs with a pypes o/r x with high flow cats on it and it sounds so deep and mean not ricer at all. For my first exhaust (which I just got) I went the the pypes muffler delete. No popping at all or spongbob laugh haha. But they sound great to me and I love turning heads . It's loud but not ridiculous and it is very deep. I think it's the nest axle back for the price and I only am saying this because I hate ricers and would never want my car sounding like one lol
GTstang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstang07 View Post
IMO I don't think pypes sound ricey at all. My buddy's got the pype bombs with a pypes o/r x with high flow cats on it and it sounds so deep and mean not ricer at all. For my first exhaust (which I just got) I went the the pypes muffler delete. No popping at all or spongbob laugh haha. But they sound great to me and I love turning heads . It's loud but not ridiculous and it is very deep. I think it's the nest axle back for the price and I only am saying this because I hate ricers and would never want my car sounding like one lol
dont blame ya! I did find those pype bombs to be better then the violators, more of a deep sound. When I first started looking I heard those violators first and didnt listen to any other pype brand exhaust. I expected more of the same. So I will have to edit my statement, to most not all pype brands sound "ricey" lol

I went with JBA, they sound amazing, and I got them a GREAT price.

Look up the violators, you will see why I thought that!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Welcome to Mustang Evolution Forums and congratulations on your new GT!

MOTM winner May 2015 "Best mods Mustang". Please View my Garage for complete details on modifications.
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Greetings. Flowmaster super 40's. Deep, low 70's sound. Awsome. Love them. And mean lookin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120113_192104.png
Views:	127
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	38045
spookshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I also hear a tick, in my car. Sounds like a valve. But most likely a objectors. Other problems.... Tach went out., doesn't work. And speedo reads 20-30mph fast when cold out. Gas gauge went out once but came back on next start. Gremlins of a new series? Costing me money is all I know.
spookshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I got a buddy with a Basini Mufflers on his Stang and sounds real deep with the "H" mid pipe.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Ditto, love my flowmaster 40's.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookshow
Greetings. Flowmaster super 40's. Deep, low 70's sound. Awsome. Love them. And mean lookin.
Thanks! I went with JBA, (they are actually deeper then flow 40s) and IMO sound much better. went with the 4"tips! Hope they look as mean as yours!

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookshow
I also hear a tick, in my car. Sounds like a valve. But most likely a objectors. Other problems.... Tach went out., doesn't work. And speedo reads 20-30mph fast when cold out. Gas gauge went out once but came back on next start. Gremlins of a new series? Costing me money is all I know.
My gauge was having problems like that too, search "gauge" or "stepper", and you will find a DIY I posted. It's easy! And cheap to fix!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Mine ticks too, its also an 05, it has 50,000. I was thinking it was a noisy injector but who knows. not going to worry about it any more. this is my 5th mustang and for years I have been fussing about getting a Shelby, so soon maybe in like a year and a halg I will just trade it in on a used 07 Shelby and forget about it.
bryanbrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT