just got my 08gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2007, 02:31 AM   #1

just got my 08gt

Hi im new here. I just gt my automatic 08gt today and i am wondering were to start. As of rihgt now it is completly stock straight from the dealership. I was thinking of bubying the roush 445hp roushcharger. Does anyone know how good these are.Can i install this myself? It ill be a while before i can get enough money for that so what can i do before i get that? Is there anything i have to get so that my car can handle the supercharger.? Also what are some easy things i can buy that i can install to add maybe 50hp. Thanks!
08geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 06:20 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick
Re: just got my 08gt

first off, roush is absolutely a GREAT supercharger, but you will need a lot of things before you just supercharge your car--also its a bit difficult to install yourself but its not impossible--also be ready to shell out 7-9k for it not including the additional parts that you are going to need

for starters, upgrade exhaust, headers/cam, intake, tune, etc etc etc

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
first off, roush is absolutely a GREAT supercharger, but you will need a lot of things before you just supercharge your car--also its a bit difficult to install yourself but its not impossible--also be ready to shell out 7-9k for it not including the additional parts that you are going to need

for starters, upgrade exhaust, headers/cam, intake, tune, etc etc etc

Thanks. Im new to cars beacuse im only 16 so i dont really know much at all. What are cams and headers and what do they do? Are they something i can install myself? Also is intake something like k&n
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

wow! 16 and you can afford a 2008 GT!?
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
wow! 16 and you can afford a 2008 GT!?
lol parents
Old 11-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

must be nice
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

hello
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

WOW, must be nice............. makes me wonder about the insurance too....................:suicide:

Anywho, welcome.....................................
Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

can you imagine, a 16 year old with a gt that puts down 445? parents should have bought you a casket right after they bought you that gt.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
can you imagine, a 16 year old with a gt that puts down 445? parents should have bought you a casket right after they bought you that gt.
yea, i think i would have to agree completely...hell, even a stock GT putting down 300 hp is a too much for a 16 y/o lol...

My suggestion would be to learn how to drive for a couple of years before looking to make ridiculous power out of the car...My first car was a Ford Focus and I thought I was hot sh*t at the time, as do all kids when they get their first car...looking back on it, if I had had something making significant power, such as a Mustang or the like, I wouldn't be here today, I can just about guarantee that...

As far as forced induction goes once you do learn to drive the car and gain a little maturity behind the wheel, I would stay away from Roush anything because they are overpriced as you are paying for the NAME...Roush makes quality parts, but they come at a premium and the parts are no better than similar brand parts, but they cost a whole lot more...you can easily attain 445 rwhp out of any number of s/c brands out there to include: Whipple, Kenne Bell, Roush, Procharger, and Vortech...There are several other brands out there...If you stay within that power range, which would put you somewhere between 8-10 psi of boost on the blower, you wont have to upgrade any of the internals on the motor...At the power, you would get significant life out of the car with a good TUNE, good exhaust, and I would suggest beefing up the rearend, namely the control arms and a girdle support...All of those parts would probably run you in the range of 7 or 8 thousand dollars, depending on the brand of supercharger you went with...

Don't be afraid to ask us any questions you might have at the expense of looking "stupid" or inexperienced or whatever...we have all been there and we all have to learn somewhere...but as I said, the biggest thing, for your health and your parents wallets/sanity, learn to drive the car first and allow yourself to mature as a driver before setting such lofty power goals...

*edit* I personally am of the opinion that the Whipples and Kenne Bell's are the best superchargers for the S197 (05+) Mustangs...Another suggestion that some people are fond of (although I don't personally care for it) is to turbocharge the car instead of supercharging it...Two of the top T/C's brands for the S197's are the Hellion turbo kit and the Turbonetics kit...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas

I can say that I bought both of my kids their first cars. Not by choice, the boss made me. I wanted them to buy their first cars so they could appreciate them. Well, they beat the crap out of the cars, now the boss wishes that she would have listened to me. All kids are different, my first car I purchased at the age of 15. It was a 70 GTO with 350 horse 400 cube motor. I got stupid and sold the car 11 years later. It was like parting with a friend watching it drive away. I guess what I am saying is I did survive a car that would pull it sideways when grabing 2nd gear. Not bad for an automatic, but still, the cops weren't impressed by that move.

Welcome, and be careful!!!
fear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

some people can respect their car regardless of if they purchase it or not and some can not... its just the type of person you are and how you were raised... just part of it. Some have to learn the hard way.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

my car was my college graduation gift---i try to keep it as nice as the day i got it, i love that car

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

this is all just my honest opinion:
college gift is fine, but for a 16 yr old to have a brand new car like that is wrong. yea some will respect it, but dam near all of them wont respect it at all, its a brand new 08 gt for gods sakes. there will be no respect for this car. if a child wants a brand new car like that, then they should have to pay for it. teach them to appreciate new things by having them pay for it dont just give it to them.

and fear1 how old were you when you bought your 70 gto?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I was 15 years old in 1977. I paid $400 for the car. Then I proceeded to change the color from white to "arrest me red", actually I painted it the correct for 70 Cardinal red. I was amazed that my Dad let me buy it. He test drove it before the purchase. But, I was one of those kids that spent so much time in the garage with the car, that I appreciated it and respected the power it had.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

^exactly! and it was 7 yrs old.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:01 AM   #17

uh ok none of you know me or how i act so **** of just beacuse your all 30 and i have a nicer car than you dont get all mad......and i do appreciate it and for all u ******** that think u know what ur talking about i paid the down payment on the car so hop off
Old 12-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Exclamation Re: just got my 08gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08geetee View Post
uh ok none of you know me or how i act so **** of just beacuse your all 30 and i have a nicer car than you dont get all mad......and i do appreciate it and for all u ******** that think u know what ur talking about i paid the down payment on the car so hop off
Because the last time a 16 year old got a fast car, this happened.

I am 20 years old. I got my Mustang at 16. I drove a Ford Tempo for a year while my Mustang sat in the driveway. I paid for half of the car. I paid full coverage insurance the entire time, and still do to this day. I got to drive it on weekends. All my friends had Mustang GTs and the rest of the high-end nice car.

Out of all my friends, my car is the only one that wasn't wrecked and/or blown up. It's not that we are judging you, it's that you're younger and haven't had a whole lot of driving time yet.

Welcome to the Mustang world. Drive safe, and enjoy it.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:13 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Quote:
if you browse the other welcomes on this site you will notice that this community is very open and welcoming. please dont bring a "i am better than you" attitude. to be honest, most of the people on here DO have nicer cars than you. they just realize the cost of the car, insurance, and the danger that exists when a teenager is behind the wheel of a powerful car. do you know why insurance is high for teenagers in sports cars? because it has an increased risk of an accident.

start small, learn to handle your car fully, and then upgrade slowly. by the time you are in college you could have yourself a nice, powerful car (with your supercharger). but for now, start small.

and i am also a part of the group that thinks buying a 300hp car for a 16 year old is dangerous. i wanted a GT SO bad when i was that age (im 21 now) and i'm glad i didnt... especially with these gas prices haha.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:03 AM   #20

Region: Texas
Unhappy Re: just got my 08gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear1 View Post
I can say that I bought both of my kids their first cars. Not by choice, the boss made me. I wanted them to buy their first cars so they could appreciate them. Well, they beat the crap out of the cars, now the boss wishes that she would have listened to me. All kids are different, my first car I purchased at the age of 15. It was a 70 GTO with 350 horse 400 cube motor. I got stupid and sold the car 11 years later. It was like parting with a friend watching it drive away. I guess what I am saying is I did survive a car that would pull it sideways when grabing 2nd gear. Not bad for an automatic, but still, the cops weren't impressed by that move.

Welcome, and be careful!!!
Just imagine what you could have done with a Ram Air IV Judge with a 4 speed. I too sold my GTO when the gas crunch hit and I've regretted it ever since.

Snake 42
Snake 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
if you browse the other welcomes on this site you will notice that this community is very open and welcoming. please dont bring a "i am better than you" attitude. to be honest, most of the people on here DO have nicer cars than you. they just realize the cost of the car, insurance, and the danger that exists when a teenager is behind the wheel of a powerful car. do you know why insurance is high for teenagers in sports cars? because it has an increased risk of an accident.

start small, learn to handle your car fully, and then upgrade slowly. by the time you are in college you could have yourself a nice, powerful car (with your supercharger). but for now, start small.

and i am also a part of the group that thinks buying a 300hp car for a 16 year old is dangerous. i wanted a GT SO bad when i was that age (im 21 now) and i'm glad i didnt... especially with these gas prices haha.

Come on people, lighten up will you? I doubt very much that you were all angels when you were teenagers. I know that I sure as Hell wasn't and I had to learn my lessons the hard way like most of you probably. My first car was a 1949 Mercury 4 door with suicide doors and my second was a 1950 Mercury 2 door, then a 1958 Fairlane 500 hardtop, then in 1965 a GTO vert, in 67 I bought a left over 66 GTO, in 1969 a ford 2 door fastback, in 70 my prized Ram Air IV Judge. I did my share of hell raising in these cars and got myself in lots of tight spots but I pulled through. Most of you realize that advice from elders goes in one ear and out the other and they ( the teenagers) either learn the lessons or they don't make it. Simple Natural Selection.

Snake 42
Snake 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake 42 View Post
Come on people, lighten up will you? I doubt very much that you were all angels when you were teenagers. I know that I sure as Hell wasn't and I had to learn my lessons the hard way like most of you probably. My first car was a 1949 Mercury 4 door with suicide doors and my second was a 1950 Mercury 2 door, then a 1958 Fairlane 500 hardtop, then in 1965 a GTO vert, in 67 I bought a left over 66 GTO, in 1969 a ford 2 door fastback, in 70 my prized Ram Air IV Judge. I did my share of hell raising in these cars and got myself in lots of tight spots but I pulled through. Most of you realize that advice from elders goes in one ear and out the other and they ( the teenagers) either learn the lessons or they don't make it. Simple Natural Selection.

Snake 42
Things were a lot different in '77 too.

As for the kid, you're a kid. A kid doesn't need a 450 rwhp car. Hell, no one needs a 450 rwhp car. I understand that it will make you look like a badass in front of all your friends and get you tons of *****. I really do. You have to understand, however, that to those people in your life who are not shallow idiots, you will just look like another stuck-up brat whose parents have more money than parenting skills.

That being said, if you really want more power... I would recommend a tuneable induction and some NOS. It's a lot less stressful on the motor and you can easily make more than 550 rwhp with just those two items. That will save your parents lots of $$$. You can use the extra money you save to buy some neons or something.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
You can use the extra money you save to buy some neons or something.
Hush you.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake 42 View Post
Just imagine what you could have done with a Ram Air IV Judge with a 4 speed. I too sold my GTO when the gas crunch hit and I've regretted it ever since.

Snake 42
I actually sold mine in 1988 after I joined the Air Force. I had 2 young kids and the car was just sitting because I couldn't afford to rebuild the motor. I probably could have parked it in my dad's garage for a few more years when I could afford it. Hind Sight.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
uh ok none of you know me or how i act so **** of just beacuse your all 30 and i have a nicer car than you dont get all mad......and i do appreciate it and for all u *******s that think u know what ur talking about i paid the down payment on the car so hop off
Back off Junior. If you had read my post, I stated that "all kids are different." And if you are trying to impress me by telling me that your car is nicer than mine, the 07 GT convertible is the old beater, I actually prefer driving my 07 Avalanche LTZ. Although in the next few weeks, I will be trading it on an 07 Escalade. Need to replace the 04 Escalade that we got rid of to get the AV.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to braumab Send a message via MSN to braumab

I started off with an old 1988 little pickup. I think it was a Chevy Tahoe only ... it wasn't an SUV, it was a little truck... Anyway, My brother sold it before I got a chance to drive it ... lol, it's funny that he did that ... well, not it is. My dad felt bad so he gave me his at the time brand new Ford Ranger (2000). I drove that around for a while and enjoyed it, it's a great truck, I wanted a mustang so bad, oh ... and a crotch rocket too... But my parents wouldn't let me... Thank goodness!!! I would've killed myself so fast... Now i'm 21, was 16 at the time, I have completed college and I gave the ranger back to my dad and I bought an 05 Mustang GT Premium with quite a few mods. I must say the adjustment from 105hp to 330hp is quite a jump and it took a while to get used to it. I also have a motorcycle now, but not a crotch rocket. In conclusion ... If I hadn't waited until I had to pay for it myself, I wouldn't respect either the motorcycle nor the car. I'm extremely glad I waited... Because i'm still alive.
braumab is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT