Scratches - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyler LaMunyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 56
Scratches

Need help getting scratches off my roof there not bad i heard meguires stuff is good ? And if i can get em out do you think ppl will notice when checking out my car ...

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler LaMunyon
Need help getting scratches off my roof there not bad i heard meguires stuff is good ? And if i can get em out do you think ppl will notice when checking out my car ...
I mean cant
Tyler LaMunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: Scratches

If they are not bad then you could certainly try some Meguiars and see if it hides it. One cool trick that I learned was with some polish and Porter-cable you can move the clear coat around the scratch to hide it a bit. Actually, I got that off an instructional video at Adams Polishes. The easiest way by hand is rubbing compound, followed by polish, followed by wax. Meguires makes all that stuff. You'd be surprised at what other people don't notice. You are definitely more aware.

And be careful to only use the rubbing compound around the scratch.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyler LaMunyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford
If they are not bad then you could certainly try some Meguiars and see if it hides it. One cool trick that I learned was with some polish and Porter-cable you can move the clear coat around the scratch to hide it a bit. Actually, I got that off an instructional video at Adams Polishes. The easiest way by hand is rubbing compound, followed by polish, followed by wax. Meguires makes all that stuff. You'd be surprised at what other people don't notice. You are definitely more aware.

And be careful to only use the rubbing compound around the scratch.
The previous owner tried to sand it out but now the paint is dull will polishing help
Tyler LaMunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: Scratches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler LaMunyon View Post
The previous owner tried to sand it out but now the paint is dull will polishing help
Yes it will do wonders.

If your doing it by hand this is the best way to go:

Step 1 wash and dry section throughly with soap and water to ensure all wax is removed.

Step 2: Rubbing Compound- Meguiars and Trutle wax both make it.
Turtle Wax T-230A looks like it's pretty good stuff.

-> As soon as you rub it in and it breaks down let it dry a minute or two and come back and remove. Microfiber will work to remove it.

Step 3: Polish ( I use 357 magnum from Hi-temp) found at topoftheline.com; However, Meguiars will work fine the stuff that looks is the Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound. Morthers Polishes are also really good.

-> Apply polish working in it real good and apply evenly.

Step 4: Wax using your choice. I'd go with Meguiars or Mothers waxes at this point. (I personally use Hi-temp Bhama Mamma found at topoftheline.com)
-> Remember to take the wax off using soft cotton baby diapers work well for this. You can find them at WalMart in the autosection.

Step5:Enjoy your car with fewer scratches. Or clean up my least favortie part.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyler LaMunyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 56
Thank u

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

So meguires ultimate compound is like a polish
Tyler LaMunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler LaMunyon
Thank u

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

So meguires ultimate compound is like a polish

Yes. It should work to take any swirls or fine scratches out and restore the paint. The wax will protect and shine.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Scratches

if they are not super super bad (cant catch them with the edge of your finger nail) they might can be buffed out, this isnt something you should do by hand.

Get a Pro to handle it so you dont make them worse.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyler LaMunyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 56
I used meguiars scratch x2.0 and the ultimate compound and the wax from meguiars worked amazing didnt get all of em out completely but sure helped the apperence
Tyler LaMunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler LaMunyon
I used meguiars scratch x2.0 and the ultimate compound and the wax from meguiars worked amazing didnt get all of em out completely but sure helped the apperence
Good! Glad it worked it out for you. Most people probably won't notice.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Scratches

thats a good sign that you got some of it out, need to find someone with a professional buffer and the stuff to use it and go over it.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
MiGT01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 406
Re: Scratches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Yes it will do wonders.

If your doing it by hand this is the best way to go:

Step 1 wash and dry section throughly with soap and water to ensure all wax is removed.

Step 2: Rubbing Compound- Meguiars and Trutle wax both make it.
Turtle Wax T-230A looks like it's pretty good stuff.

-> As soon as you rub it in and it breaks down let it dry a minute or two and come back and remove. Microfiber will work to remove it.

Step 3: Polish ( I use 357 magnum from Hi-temp) found at topoftheline.com; However, Meguiars will work fine the stuff that looks is the Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound. Morthers Polishes are also really good.

-> Apply polish working in it real good and apply evenly.

Step 4: Wax using your choice. I'd go with Meguiars or Mothers waxes at this point. (I personally use Hi-temp Bhama Mamma found at topoftheline.com)
-> Remember to take the wax off using soft cotton baby diapers work well for this. You can find them at WalMart in the autosection.

Step5:Enjoy your car with fewer scratches. Or clean up my least favortie part.
Exact thing to do!

I used Meguiars Ultimate Compound on my CF hood it worked wonder, and it smells awesome! Also used it on the Niteshades process and it did its job!
__________________
01 Black Beauty GT
Eibach pro kit,Tokico shocks/struts,BBK CAI,75mm TB/ Plenum,4.10 FRPP gears,BBK o/r X pipe,Magnaflow Catback,SCT Tuner running 91 Tune,Bama Tunes for Life Member,RAM HD Clutch,BM shifter with MGW "GT" knob,AM smoked Headlights/Sylvania zXe bulbs,VHT smoked tails/3rd brake,Redtop Optima,Mach 1 grille delete,Mach 1 chin spoiler,BULLITT Pedals,20% tint all round,4.6 High Performance Badges
MiGT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
thats a good sign that you got some of it out, need to find someone with a professional buffer and the stuff to use it and go over it.
Spector has a good point. The polisher allows you to manipulate the paint a bit to disguise them even more.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows scratches caboken 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 6 10-20-2011 01:55 PM
Bumper scratches fixed! RVAStang05 Pictures and Videos 10 10-06-2011 04:46 PM
Detailing buffer poloka General Car Discussion 15 08-03-2011 03:13 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:47 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.