Scratches - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Scratches

Need help getting scratches off my roof there not bad i heard meguires stuff is good ? And if i can get em out do you think ppl will notice when checking out my car ...

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler LaMunyon
Need help getting scratches off my roof there not bad i heard meguires stuff is good ? And if i can get em out do you think ppl will notice when checking out my car ...
I mean cant
Tyler LaMunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: Scratches

If they are not bad then you could certainly try some Meguiars and see if it hides it. One cool trick that I learned was with some polish and Porter-cable you can move the clear coat around the scratch to hide it a bit. Actually, I got that off an instructional video at Adams Polishes. The easiest way by hand is rubbing compound, followed by polish, followed by wax. Meguires makes all that stuff. You'd be surprised at what other people don't notice. You are definitely more aware.

And be careful to only use the rubbing compound around the scratch.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford
If they are not bad then you could certainly try some Meguiars and see if it hides it. One cool trick that I learned was with some polish and Porter-cable you can move the clear coat around the scratch to hide it a bit. Actually, I got that off an instructional video at Adams Polishes. The easiest way by hand is rubbing compound, followed by polish, followed by wax. Meguires makes all that stuff. You'd be surprised at what other people don't notice. You are definitely more aware.

And be careful to only use the rubbing compound around the scratch.
The previous owner tried to sand it out but now the paint is dull will polishing help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler LaMunyon View Post
The previous owner tried to sand it out but now the paint is dull will polishing help
Yes it will do wonders.

If your doing it by hand this is the best way to go:

Step 1 wash and dry section throughly with soap and water to ensure all wax is removed.

Step 2: Rubbing Compound- Meguiars and Trutle wax both make it.
Turtle Wax T-230A looks like it's pretty good stuff.

-> As soon as you rub it in and it breaks down let it dry a minute or two and come back and remove. Microfiber will work to remove it.

Step 3: Polish ( I use 357 magnum from Hi-temp) found at topoftheline.com; However, Meguiars will work fine the stuff that looks is the Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound. Morthers Polishes are also really good.

-> Apply polish working in it real good and apply evenly.

Step 4: Wax using your choice. I'd go with Meguiars or Mothers waxes at this point. (I personally use Hi-temp Bhama Mamma found at topoftheline.com)
-> Remember to take the wax off using soft cotton baby diapers work well for this. You can find them at WalMart in the autosection.

Step5:Enjoy your car with fewer scratches. Or clean up my least favortie part.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thank u

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

So meguires ultimate compound is like a polish
Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Thank u

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

So meguires ultimate compound is like a polish

Yes. It should work to take any swirls or fine scratches out and restore the paint. The wax will protect and shine.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if they are not super super bad (cant catch them with the edge of your finger nail) they might can be buffed out, this isnt something you should do by hand.

Get a Pro to handle it so you dont make them worse.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I used meguiars scratch x2.0 and the ultimate compound and the wax from meguiars worked amazing didnt get all of em out completely but sure helped the apperence
Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
I used meguiars scratch x2.0 and the ultimate compound and the wax from meguiars worked amazing didnt get all of em out completely but sure helped the apperence
Good! Glad it worked it out for you. Most people probably won't notice.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

thats a good sign that you got some of it out, need to find someone with a professional buffer and the stuff to use it and go over it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Yes it will do wonders.

If your doing it by hand this is the best way to go:

Step 1 wash and dry section throughly with soap and water to ensure all wax is removed.

Step 2: Rubbing Compound- Meguiars and Trutle wax both make it.
Turtle Wax T-230A looks like it's pretty good stuff.

-> As soon as you rub it in and it breaks down let it dry a minute or two and come back and remove. Microfiber will work to remove it.

Step 3: Polish ( I use 357 magnum from Hi-temp) found at topoftheline.com; However, Meguiars will work fine the stuff that looks is the Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound. Morthers Polishes are also really good.

-> Apply polish working in it real good and apply evenly.

Step 4: Wax using your choice. I'd go with Meguiars or Mothers waxes at this point. (I personally use Hi-temp Bhama Mamma found at topoftheline.com)
-> Remember to take the wax off using soft cotton baby diapers work well for this. You can find them at WalMart in the autosection.

Step5:Enjoy your car with fewer scratches. Or clean up my least favortie part.
Exact thing to do!

I used Meguiars Ultimate Compound on my CF hood it worked wonder, and it smells awesome! Also used it on the Niteshades process and it did its job!
Eibach pro kit,Tokico shocks/struts,BBK CAI,75mm TB/ Plenum,4.10 FRPP gears,BBK o/r X pipe,Magnaflow Catback,SCT Tuner running 91 Tune,Bama Tunes for Life Member,RAM HD Clutch,BM shifter with MGW "GT" knob,AM smoked Headlights/Sylvania zXe bulbs,VHT smoked tails/3rd brake,Redtop Optima,Mach 1 grille delete,Mach 1 chin spoiler,BULLITT Pedals,20% tint all round,4.6 High Performance Badges
MiGT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
thats a good sign that you got some of it out, need to find someone with a professional buffer and the stuff to use it and go over it.
Spector has a good point. The polisher allows you to manipulate the paint a bit to disguise them even more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT