4.10 gears worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #1

Region: Vermont
4.10 gears worth it?

I have a 2007 shelby GT and was considering putting 4.10 gears in it. It already has 3.55 gears in it so i was wondering if its worth the swap? If so, would any other parts have to be replaced as well?
redballoons09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you are wanting a strong launch then yes, and if you don't care about top end being sacrificed... And you do not need any other parts when adding gears
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

Re: 4.10 gears worth it?

Awesome, thank you. I was also considering swapping out the stock cams for some new ones. what are the benefits of new cams and what ones would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

4.10s unless your going to try to set the land speed record

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545 View Post
If you are wanting a strong launch then yes, and if you don't care about top end being sacrificed... And you do not need any other parts when adding gears
Its good to get a rebuild kit, and you also need friction modifier and a set of extra tires would be nice
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #5

One other question. are long tube headers worth the price. is it worth me buying a set of long tube headers or are the gains not worth the price?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol
4.10s unless your going to try to set the land speed record

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Its good to get a rebuild kit, and you also need friction modifier and a set of extra tires would be nice
I have no idea what a rebuild kit is... Nor a friction modifier... On all my other stangs I put 4:10s in I did not do that... Did I do something wrong??
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redballoons09 View Post
One other question. are long tube headers worth the price. is it worth me buying a set of long tube headers or are the gains not worth the price?
MAC LTs are cheap and i would expect a decent gain

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545 View Post
I have no idea what a rebuild kit is... Nor a friction modifier... On all my other stangs I put 4:10s in I did not do that... Did I do something wrong??
So yes and no, Yes you messed up not using friction modifier unless you didnt have a tru trak and No guess you dont need to change all the bearings if its low mileage car but its a very good idea

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

"In your Mustang, a friction modifier additive is necessary to reduce chatter. Ford Racing friction modifier is designed to eliminate gear-housing chatter in your Mustang." thats from FORD
Old 01-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

i would not put 4.10's in that car
with the torque that thing has you do not need them
and long tubes make BIG power on blower cars so I'd go for it !!!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
i would not put 4.10's in that car
with the torque that thing has you do not need them
and long tubes make BIG power on blower cars so I'd go for it !!!
No superchager for Shelby GTs just a tune CAI and Xpipe unless he put one on himself
Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

I have 410s on my stang, and I did not need any of that stuff listed, mine runs fine, takes off like a Beast, but it does lower my mpg's a little, especially on HWY. LT (Long Tube) Headers, do give you a little extra HP, but it only does in higher RPM's, If your pushing something SC, Turbo's NITrous, then you may get to feel it, if not, then you won't notice. Shorties you won't feel anything, regardless of what you have. I was going to get LT's but was warned by two Performance shops, that it was not worth the money spent, and I would get better by just adding a SC. So I took them off the list.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
I have 410s on my stang, and I did not need any of that stuff listed, mine runs fine, takes off like a Beast, but it does lower my mpg's a little, especially on HWY. LT (Long Tube) Headers, do give you a little extra HP, but it only does in higher RPM's, If your pushing something SC, Turbo's NITrous, then you may get to feel it, if not, then you won't notice. Shorties you won't feel anything, regardless of what you have. I was going to get LT's but was warned by two Performance shops, that it was not worth the money spent, and I would get better by just adding a SC. So I took them off the list.
You need Friction modifier don't be a cheap a$$ and try to save 7.99 says in the owners manual you need it , and as far as the bearing kit goes, every good shop will tell you need the install kit, even if your bringing your own parts, its already completely apart, takes 10 extra mins to throw the bearings on, be careful of who you take advice from most mustang guys are penny pinchers, do it right and do it once
Old 01-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
No superchager for Shelby GTs just a tune CAI and Xpipe unless he put one on himself
oops , was thinking GT500
THEN ITS OK 4.10'S
Old 01-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

I had 4.10's in an 05 GT and really didn't like them. Sure it was quicker in the quarter and launched harder but it hurt the mileage and it made first so low, I ended up starting in second half the time and the gears were noisy, they were not Ford. When the opportunity arose, I changed back to the 3.55s.... I would suggest 3.73s...

And I don't know why people say it hurts your top end. At 145 mph you turn about 4,950rpm with 4.10 gears. How fast do you want to go? With an overdrive transmission, 4.10 gears will not hurt your top end.

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
I had 4.10's in an 05 GT and really didn't like them. Sure it was quicker in the quarter and launched harder but it hurt the mileage and it made first so low, I ended up starting in second half the time and the gears were noisy, they were not Ford. When the opportunity arose, I changed back to the 3.55s.... I would suggest 3.73s...

And I don't know why people say it hurts your top end. At 145 mph you turn about 4,950rpm with 4.10 gears. How fast do you want to go? With an overdrive transmission, 4.10 gears will not hurt your top end.
I think the top end they are talking about is the overall top speed!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Does this car see the track alot? Or is it more of a dd? If dd id go 373 gears if primarlly a track car id go 410 as for l/t headers they will improve ur launch because the produce more low end torque and high end hp (old saying from shelby him self "hp sells cars, torque wins races) cermac coated MAC headers are totally worth it for sound, torque and flow! Any shop that said other wise does not know what there talking about.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
Does this car see the track alot? Or is it more of a dd? If dd id go 373 gears if primarlly a track car id go 410 as for l/t headers they will improve ur launch because the produce more low end torque and high end hp (old saying from shelby him self "hp sells cars, torque wins races) cermac coated MAC headers are totally worth it for sound, torque and flow! Any shop that said other wise does not know what there talking about.
+11
Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #17

Ok well the 4.10s sound like a safe bet. so thanks everyone for that. the L/T headers i will just research a bit more before anything. last question... should i go with new cams or leave the stock ones in? what do you guys have for me!?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Cams r always nice for sound and depending on what cams u want they deliver power and torque diffrently threw out ur rpm range but ull prolly want to do ur heads and put some beehive springs or twin race springs in then (cams on ur yr mustang i dont really know much about but the old push rod cars like mine... All i can say f-303 i love u)
Old 01-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
You need Friction modifier don't be a cheap a$$ and try to save 7.99 says in the owners manual you need it , and as far as the bearing kit goes, every good shop will tell you need the install kit, even if your bringing your own parts, its already completely apart, takes 10 extra mins to throw the bearings on, be careful of who you take advice from most mustang guys are penny pinchers, do it right and do it once
A professional Mustang Speed shop did my stuff, I was not a Cheap @$$, I paid a nice piece of change to get it done, and no I do not know all the little ends and outs of what they did, used or added to get the job done. But my cars runs excellant, and I trust them 100%. My gears runs like "Champs", they do not make noises, they are fine. But yes I do notice the change in Gas miledge. Prices you pay for stuff.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redballoons09
Ok well the 4.10s sound like a safe bet. so thanks everyone for that. the L/T headers i will just research a bit more before anything. last question... should i go with new cams or leave the stock ones in? what do you guys have for me!?
All I can recommend is do your research. I have the FRPP hot rod cams and love them. My over all goal is to go twin screw later so I wanted cams that were good N/A and F/I. The thumper cams sound super mean but aren't real good for F/I applications. To answer your power question.... I did FRPP 3v intake, cams, LT's with catted x, TB, and JLT CAI and picked up just over 60hp at the wheels. With certain cams that are labeled NSR( no springs required) you don't need to replace your valve springs.... For cams with larger lift it's always a good idea to go with heavier springs and you may also need phaser limiters or lock outs to prevent piston to valve clearance issues. Just make sure you check the manufacturers recommendations or a well known mustang shop or builder for advice.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

3.55 vs 4.10 is about a 15% increase in rpm or so if I did my math right~ so its a good boost overall, I went from 3.27 to 3.73 and it was a meh change (about 2.5 tenths faster) so you are looking at about the same rate~ overall not bad but if the gear swap turns into a hassle (gears whine have issues) its not worth it lol
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO
A professional Mustang Speed shop did my stuff, I was not a Cheap @$$, I paid a nice piece of change to get it done, and no I do not know all the little ends and outs of what they did, used or added to get the job done. But my cars runs excellant, and I trust them 100%. My gears runs like "Champs", they do not make noises, they are fine. But yes I do notice the change in Gas miledge. Prices you pay for stuff.
Well if it was a respectable speed shop then I assume they installed new bearings, sorry if I'm making a big deal about this but I want people to get the right info, and I've heard some people don't get chatter when they use just royal purple or Mobil 1 with out the friction modifier but I've heard some cases where it has, I have installed my own gears before and and this time around I can't do to time restraints but all shops I called told me to get the install kit and the other half said stay away from motive gears, which idk why I thought motive was good

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
Old 01-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I know that ford racing is not offer these... Try to find a set of 3.90s. It split the difference between 373 and 410.
Always broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always broke
I know that ford racing is not offer these... Try to find a set of 3.90s. It split the difference between 373 and 410.
This
Old 01-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always broke
Lol... Its pretty simple to figure out. If ur a real aggressive driver and like higher rpms and doing super fast burnouts and dont mind doing other stuff like adding a trans cooler or getting a racing drive shaft etc... Go 410. If ur looking for all that other good stuff but not quit as mod hard core and u dont mind just cruzing but still want plenty of gideup go 373. Dont waste ur time trying to find something not readally available unless theres some sort of "unique" reason to y ur doing it. It makes the job take to long and i for one am more about driving my ride then working on it. How bout you?
Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk

Lol... Its pretty simple to figure out. If ur a real aggressive driver and like higher rpms and doing super fast burnouts and dont mind doing other stuff like adding a trans cooler or getting a racing drive shaft etc... Go 410. If ur looking for all that other good stuff but not quit as mod hard core and u dont mind just cruzing but still want plenty of gideup go 373. Dont waste ur time trying to find something not readally available unless theres some sort of "unique" reason to y ur doing it. It makes the job take to long and i for one am more about driving my ride then working on it. How bout you?
+11
Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
I think the top end they are talking about is the overall top speed!..
So am I...
6,500rpm, 5th gear, 4.10 gears, your top speed would be 187.34627997540479606476737036278mph.

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

This 410 vs 373 battle has raged on to long, for years. Want to have the very best street light to street light and the best 60 foot 410s hell why not 4.56s however you want something that's not that noticeable and feels stock get 373s nuff said, you have a supercharger ask your tuner but it's what you want

Old 01-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I think another question would be that if you had an older s197 with 3.55s do you really wanna take it to a shop and spend 500-700ish bucks to move up one gear to a 3.73? Not putting down a 3.73 gear by no means, It's just not enough gain IMO
Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr
I think another question would be that if you had an older s197 with 3.55s do you really wanna take it to a shop and spend 500-700ish bucks to move up one gear to a 3.73? Not putting down a 3.73 gear by no means, It's just not enough gain IMO
Ya in that case I would probably put that towards cams or something!.. Or unless that was my finale mod to make!...
Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Ya in that case I would probably put that towards cams or something!.. Or unless that was my finale mod to make!...
If you get cams your going to want 410s for drivability

Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you get cams your going to want 410s for drivability
Doesn't this kinda go against what you said before, about the whole debate on 3.73 vs 4.10?...
Old 01-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Whatta ya mean?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This 410 vs 373 battle has raged on to long, for years. Want to have the very best street light to street light and the best 60 foot 410s hell why not 4.56s however you want something that's not that noticeable and feels stock get 373s nuff said, you have a supercharger ask your tuner but it's what you want
This!..
Old 01-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

That doesn't contradict anything I said, you are going to want them to maintain drive ability in low speeds, maybe 373s will work to who knows, I'm just saying man everybody always ask 373vs410s, how about this brenspeed tune vs bama, Mobil 1 vs royal purple, there's never going to be a right answer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT