Car-seat Trouble - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Car-seat Trouble

hey. having a son in July and there is no way in hell i am getting rid of my car. but i have been reading that people are having trouble fitting in a car-seat for their newborn that will fit comfortably, and to have someone sit in the front and not have their knees in their face. i was thinking of a solution and thought of a custom rear seat delete kit that enabled a car seat to be installed (would still need seat-belt anchor on it), as well as perhaps having some pockets on the other side of the kit for storage so the mustang doesn't turn into a toy box. can anyone direct me to a manufacture that may be able to help with my dilemma, or a DIY instructions

thnx
Neilmac23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Just play with some cardboard and the carseat and once you find what you like take your templetes to a metal shop and have them fab it out of some cheap steel and them put in some seatbelt ancors maybe from a ranger center seat belt that way it fits threw the carseat holes for the seat belt.
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Man you sound like me lmao I got a newborn car seat and a toddler seat in the back seat of my stang. The problem ain't so much the passenger leg room IMO. I thing ford should of made the seats have like ONE extra inch of seat in between the seat belts. The car seats always have a lean on them. If your passenger in a 5'3" woman then she won't have much of a problem with room. But a 6'4" dude ain't fitting lol. But post pics and send me a private message if you get a good set up going lol
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed. My wife is 5'10 and she barely fits in the seat with the baby seat behind.
RedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Re: Car-seat Trouble

Never had to have two car seats at once, only a car seat and toddler seat at once at most, but I'd always put the car seat on the passenger side so that, if there is no front passenger, I could reach the child if necessary far more easily than I could trying to reach behind me. The passenger side has a good deal of leg room; never had a problem with my wife sitting there (she's about 5'6") with the car seat behind her.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #6

A car seat has no place inside a Mustang ... My kids only recently began joining in the fun when they outgrew their infant seating requirements.
I have a van for the kid mobile....
Safer and not left to jerri-rig a fit into a muscle car.

Children safety aside ... I never wanted infant vomit or stinky diapers stinking up my ride.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Some of us dont always have that choice, however.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire
A car seat has no place inside a Mustang ... My kids only recently began joining in the fun when they outgrew their infant seating requirements.

Children safety aside ... I never wanted infant vomit or stinky diapers stinking up my ride.
Agreed!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Well some people just don't have the option to get rid of a car the get something else to accomodate for a infant seat. My little brother and his wife will be expecting this summer as well he drives a scion tc and he's 6'3 and four of us averaged sized guys tried to cram into that thing one night. He just got it he can't afford to get rid of it. And his wife drives a 06 gt with a salvage title no one would buy that thing and its only clocked in around 30k miles. So I think he's not wrong for putting in a car seat in a stang. I have. And if he chooses to build a rear seat delete with a cool setup for a car seat two thumbs up my man and good luck
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post

i would love to have another vehicle to put him in maybe next summer if a can get my career going. my wife (is 5'11") wants me to get something else, but if i can make it work she can't complain,

i was talking with my mechanic buddy and he was telling me the seat belt anchors will be attached to the car itself, and not to the seat. so I'm thinking the rear seat delete kit with me cutting a few holes to bring through the anchor will work pretty good.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

It's only for a short time. They get bigger pretty fast. Newborns shouldn't be traveling all over creation anyway. Have your tried the kind that has a base that anchors with the lap belt, then the carrier (seat) snaps into it. We had this kind and it worked great (14 years ago) You can just release it and carry, you don't have to wake the kid up to get him out of the car seat.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
It's only for a short time. They get bigger pretty fast. Newborns shouldn't be traveling all over creation anyway. Have your tried the kind that has a base that anchors with the lap belt, then the carrier (seat) snaps into it. We had this kind and it worked great (14 years ago) You can just release it and carry, you don't have to wake the kid up to get him out of the car seat.

ya that is the exact kind that i have, wife even went out and got an eddie bauer edition stoller/car seat, which i think is cool because ford has those eddie bauer edition vehicles. just have seen lots of pics where there is too much seat for the car seat and it sits too far forward. the delete kit would allow for a flat base to rest on and give more room to fit in there nicley
Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I have a toddler seat and a car seat in the back of my 2010 gt and no problems with our situation and the wife has a ford explorer but we use both for the kids anyway my car is ok with both in the back in my case had no problems getting them out or putting them in the room is great and the seating for my wife is good and me to
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I've got two car seats in my '04 GT!.. Get creative and you'll find you have all kinds of room!.. Lol. Last year me and the wife took both kids to the Detroit Auto Show!.. Two car seats, two umbrella strollers, two diaper bags, and of course both kids in the back seat of my GT!... Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT