Obtaining better fuel economy? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Obtaining better fuel economy?

I own a 2006 Mustang GT premium with 88,000 miles on it. The car has been meticulously maintained, getting a regular oil change every 3,000 miles on the nose, and a tune-up every 30,000.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to increase the MPG on it. Right now the computer tells me I'm averaging 13.5mpg in the city - considering this is my daily driver, and gas is about $4.60/g right now, is there anything I can do to help this?

The only modifications on it so far would be Flowmaster exhaust.

Thanks in advance!
ghst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Obtaining better fuel economy?

you change the fuel filter regularly, usually its part of the regular stuff but just FYI it can make a difference.

Also cleaning the MAF which I am sure hasnt been done is something that might help a bit.

an intake with a tune might help a bit as well on mileage.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Good lord!!! I average 22.4 city.... But I have bolt ons and 93 octane race tune so that makes the car more efficient.... After I install the long tubes and cmdp and pullies and chaining my tune over to the 93 octane street tune I'm expecting to be right at 30 mpg (hwy)

I also baby this car.... Never shift over 2500 rpm
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghst
I own a 2006 Mustang GT premium with 88,000 miles on it. The car has been meticulously maintained, getting a regular oil change every 3,000 miles on the nose, and a tune-up every 30,000.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to increase the MPG on it. Right now the computer tells me I'm averaging 13.5mpg in the city - considering this is my daily driver, and gas is about $4.60/g right now, is there anything I can do to help this?

The only modifications on it so far would be Flowmaster exhaust.

Thanks in advance!
Its it an auto or standard? In my 08 with the 5 speed I get 21 in town if I baby it and 18 if i'm on it allot...best I ever got on the highway was 32 lol
wyostang08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It's an automatic. How are you guys getting such amazing mileage?! Haha.

My good friend has a 2007 Shelby GT and gets roughly the same... about 15mpg or so. I'll admit, I don't baby it as much as I should. I like to make my presence known haha.

I'll throw in a new air intake as soon as I can - what kind of +mpg boost am I looking at?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's an automatic. How are you guys getting such amazing mileage?! Haha.

My good friend has a 2007 Shelby GT and gets roughly the same... about 15mpg or so. I'll admit, I don't baby it as much as I should. I like to make my presence known haha.

I'll throw in a new air intake as soon as I can - what kind of +mpg boost am I looking at?
Its all in the gearing and having that overdrive gear lol I have 3.55 gears....i'm not sure on how much the cai will add as I still have my factory one lol
Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyostang08 View Post
Its all in the gearing and having that overdrive gear lol I have 3.55 gears....i'm not sure on how much the cai will add as I still have my factory one lol
Yeah haha, having an Auto doesn't really help my case :\ I guess at this point I'm just chasing a dream here. If gas wasn't so expensive I wouldn't mind, but it's actually causing me to drive less.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah haha, having an Auto doesn't really help my case :\ I guess at this point I'm just chasing a dream here. If gas wasn't so expensive I wouldn't mind, but it's actually causing me to drive less.
I have no room to complain about gas anymore lol its just under $3 here for regular lol
Old 03-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have the following: (just not all installed yet)
Jlt cai
Bbk tb
Cmdp
Hooker long tubes
Bassani off road x
Magnaflow cat back (changing soon)
Half bbk half steeda underdrive pullies
3:55 gears
Sct bama custom 93 octane race tune

Im hoping once I dial in the street tune I should hit in the 30mpg range....

Like I said I try to get good mpgs...
Old 03-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
This probably makes no sense, but when I first tuned my car, I used the 87 street tune- seemed like my gas economy vastly improved... Like noticeably. Then when I went to the 93 race tune it went down again. This could all be my imagination, or the other factor of course with the 93 tune is my foot...
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
I have the following: (just not all installed yet)
Jlt cai
Bbk tb
Cmdp
Hooker long tubes
Bassani off road x
Magnaflow cat back (changing soon)
Half bbk half steeda underdrive pullies
3:55 gears
Sct bama custom 93 octane race tune

Im hoping once I dial in the street tune I should hit in the 30mpg range....

Like I said I try to get good mpgs...
30mpgs good luck, unless you forgot to mention your installing a sail too

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545 View Post
Good lord!!! I average 22.4 city.... But I have bolt ons and 93 octane race tune so that makes the car more efficient.... After I install the long tubes and cmdp and pullies and chaining my tune over to the 93 octane street tune I'm expecting to be right at 30 mpg (hwy)

I also baby this car.... Never shift over 2500 rpm
How will you be able to tell you have installed all that stuff if you never shift over 2500? You should just get a new V6 and enjoy the fuel economy.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You might see if you can find out if the previous owner did a gear swap or something cause I went from 3.55 to 4.10 and lost about 5-6 MPG. Also make sure your speedometer is correct. Your mileage might not be as bad as you think. If your car thinks its going slower you will have low MPG.
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Because *** bag my company pays for my gas as long as I maintain 19 mpg city and or hwy.... I play w her on the weekends... If I'm hitting 26 hwy now (with my bbk tb being set wrong due to high idle) I think I can pick up 4 more mpgs w street tune and more bolt ons that assist the motor in being more efficient... FYI I will never own a v6 Stang... Ever no offense to v6 folks
Old 03-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Because *** bag my company pays for my gas as long as I maintain 19 mpg city and or hwy.... I play w her on the weekends... If I'm hitting 26 hwy now (with my bbk tb being set wrong due to high idle) I think I can pick up 4 more mpgs w street tune and more bolt ons that assist the motor in being more efficient... FYI I will never own a v6 Stang... Ever no offense to v6 folks
How do they check?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When reading your previous post my only thought was "wasting the power away with all those bolt ons"

but thank god you open her up on the weekends. Mustangs need to be ran strong from time to time, no body wants a tamed pony lol
S197Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyostang08

I have no room to complain about gas anymore lol its just under $3 here for regular lol
Where is that?

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Quote:

And why so cheap for gas it's $3.75 here in Florida, Tampa
Killastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in sells so I have to log my miles for tax return reasons... Plus they give me a gas card... It's just simple math on their part.... But even if I play w her a couple times a day I'm still getting 20+
Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Do u have a heavy foot ? Do u have stock rims and tires ? If not different size can throw ur speedo off
kjunitalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Who are you calling *** bag? Mr. "sells man". No reason to be a ******. You're spending thousands on a V8, so you can drive around like someone's grandma freaking out about mpg's all day. It seemed to make more sense to get a new 300hp V6, but whatever.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok

Who are you calling *** bag? Mr. "sells man". No reason to be a ******. You're spending thousands on a V8, so you can drive around like someone's grandma freaking out about mpg's all day. It seemed to make more sense to get a new 300hp V6, but whatever.
+1

Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok

+2
Artaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killastang

Where is that?

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

And why so cheap for gas it's $3.75 here in Florida, Tampa
Wyoming lol
Old 03-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Lol... At all of u.. I don't feel the need to blow the tires off at every street light.... I cruise until provoked by a curvy road or a worthy opponent, I do believe if any of you were given the opportunity to have their gas,oil, and tires paid for by the company you work for you too would try to maintain 19mpg.... If you all drive hard every where you go, you are on the same level of "rice" you all are always making fun of... To me a modified car that holds back is a form of flirting...

Btw by saying *** bag i meant it in a friendly way .... Can't show facial expressions and tone of intended statements online
Old 03-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I have a tune intake and 410s and I avg 18.6 but I have a heavy foot and let my car idle for 10min b4 I go anywhere

Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Lol... At all of u.. I don't feel the need to blow the tires off at every street light.... I cruise until provoked by a curvy road or a worthy opponent, I do believe if any of you were given the opportunity to have their gas,oil, and tires paid for by the company you work for you too would try to maintain 19mpg.... If you all drive hard every where you go, you are on the same level of "rice" you all are always making fun of... To me a modified car that holds back is a form of flirting...

Btw by saying *** bag i meant it in a friendly way .... Can't show facial expressions and tone of intended statements online
What upgrades do you currently have on the car, not the some day add-on's?

My best mileage was 91 tune, 3:55's, FRPP CAI, BBK LT w/ BBK Cat/X-pipe, UDP's, I got 28 highway, 18 city. I installed 4.10's and got 20 city and 27 highway. But when i installed the delete plates and the 62mm TB I lost mileage, highway went down to 23 but city only went to 17, extra air in means computer adds more gas, so i put the stock TB back on, Bigger TB did not relate to better ET's either
Old 03-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2
some day add-on's?
hahaha

Old 03-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
If you want mileage instead of acceleration, could swap in a lower gear ratio
jamin22786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

So ur saying since someone else pays for ur gas u are gonna try and get the best mpg? I don't think I can find another mustang owner that If they had all car expense paid for would baby the car, he'll I would try to get the worst mpg because I DONT have to PAY
Artaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artaz

So ur saying since someone else pays for ur gas u are gonna try and get the best mpg? I don't think I can find another mustang owner that If they had all car expense paid for would baby the car, he'll I would try to get the worst mpg because I DONT have to PAY
I respect my company A.... B I have to maintain 19 mpg...

I never said I constantly worry about mpgs I was just giving my two cents

Right now I have the following
Bbk tb
Jlt
Tune
Off road x
3:55 gears (stock)

Waiting to b installed
Cmdp (just installed but car is not running right see new thread)
Up
Long tubes and new off road x
Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

Where do u live that gas is that cheap
Mustangkid34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangkid34

Where do u live that gas is that cheap
Wyoming lol
Old 03-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Funny here we have oil process and make gas in our own backyard and its stinkin high .. Not as bad as some states but still high
kjunitalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #34

Region: New Jersey
I have a 2006 gt premium automatic and I get 24-28 mpg. I put flow master mufflers and cold air intake on it but had to go out and buy an SCT tuner to program the computer and had it tuned on a Dynno. With the plug in of the tuner and changing the settings you can set it up for more horsepower.
Shelbymickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #35

Region: Canada
I have an 07 gt auto...
Sct performance 93 tune (if i remember correct)
Cai
I was getting about 15 mpg primarily city driving..
Installed 4.10 gear just over a week ago. if there is a change to mpg it is minimal or too early to notice.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT